PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Leicestershire

LPH_UK
01-07-2015, 13:17
Hi all

Just joined as I'm very very close to ordering a Lister Bell.

Always loved the Stratos. In the mid to late 1980s I used to walk past an original lime green car with a red interior and gold wheels parked outside a solicitor's office on my way to and from college. Seeing the Autocar Lister Bell video last year got me interested again and having spent a couple of hours with Craig and Lydia at Lister Bell last week I'm very very close to ordering.

Never built a car before so not sure if I'd be getting in too deep to be honest.

Currently I have a Lotus 340R and a very heavily modified Lotus Elise S2. The Elise has a Honda K20 engine conversion, with a supercharger and charge cooler. It's running over 370hp and weights about 820kg. I fancy a high 200s HP Alfa V6 in a Stratos if I can do this.

I have massive OCD when it comes to cars and have had many custom bits of work done on my Lotus cars. Even though I've not even ordered a kit yet I've already made inquiries about getting side windows made from glass. The Lotus community had screens made for the 340R when Lotus stopped producing them so we have contacts. I spoke to someone this morning and he reckons about £300 + vat a pair for the door windows in 'E' marked glass. Based on a run of 25 sets and having to tool up. How would I go about gauging interest from current owners and those in the process of building cars?

Look forward to trawling the forums and blogs to get information. Please go easy on me if I ask stupid questions!

Leigh

The Slug
01-07-2015, 13:48
Hi Leigh,

Welcome to the Forum....

When you join the Club, you will get to see the group buy section, one was for glass side windows, and we have recently had out own heated screens manufactured. the issue you may have is that all the different makes of cars have different shaped windows, all be it minor in some cases.

It has been looked at before, and maybe you will be more successful now more cars are being built, but that's the place at give it a try.

You wont go far wrong with a ListerBell (Other manufactured are available as well... doing the PC thing there! ) and there are lots of people that can point you in the right direction should you need a bit of help.

Remember there are no stupid questions, we have heard them before when we asked them!!!

Guy Mayers
01-07-2015, 19:41
Hi and welcome too! It's been a few years now but the Hawk owners had a batch made in Italy that fit both the Hawk and the original. Can't comment on the LB fitment as nobody has tried them yet. We needed a fair few orders to make it a viable project and I think we ended up with 20 - 25 sets being ordered and a price of £250 or so delivered if I remember correctly, all to order with no excess spares....

The issue for LB is that there are relatively fewer owners out there (at the moment but numbers are rising!) making the chances of putting together a group buy lower and a price higher. Unfortunately the glass is handed. We had price options dependant on quantity and, in the end, went with some fairly cheap tooling that was guaranteed to produce enough sets before it was worn out. For various reasons I doubt we'd be able to do another run now. If you want to know more PM only!

Good luck with the (eventual) build and welcome to the fold!

Cheers

Guy

red5
01-07-2015, 23:12
Hi Leigh, welcome to the forum.

Where in Leicestershire are you? Im currently building a ListerBell fitted with a 3.0 Alfa engine. Build is just about a rolling chassis, if you're not too far away you're more than welcome to pop round and have a look.

Im also a one time Elise owner so would be interested to see your 340r..

Cheers Nick

LPH_UK
02-07-2015, 11:15
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Guy - the tooling made for the Lotus screens has produced 3 runs (75) screens now I think and as far as I know will keep on going as it's made from steel. I presume they would do the same thing with the side windows if they tooled up for them. I understand what you say about different cars through - I guess with kits things will be slightly different for different suppliers and therefore windows might not be a 'universal' fit.

Nick - I'm near Ashby de la Zouch. Would love to see your build and get a bit of insight. It might scare me off doing it, or could well spur me into taking the plunge!

red5
02-07-2015, 23:02
Nick - I'm near Ashby de la Zouch. Would love to see your build and get a bit of insight. It might scare me off doing it, or could well spur me into taking the plunge!

Im in Kegworth so not far from Ashby. More than welcome to pop round, if you're serious about doing a build I'm sure it won't put you off!
Drop me a PM and we can sort something out.
Cheers

LPH_UK
03-07-2015, 10:43
Im in Kegworth so not far from Ashby. More than welcome to pop round, if you're serious about doing a build I'm sure it won't put you off!
Drop me a PM and we can sort something out.
Cheers

Cheers, will drop you a message later.

Need to get the 340R MOTed if I'm going to bring that round!