PDA

View Full Version : Alfa 24V V6 plumbing

tipo158
04-07-2015, 00:53
Need you help again, I would like to see pictures of how you routed the engine cooling system, not so much at the front end, but in the engine bay. Pictures of the front of the engine and rear of the engine, and where you placed the fill tank.

Thanks,
Corky

turbonutter
04-07-2015, 18:13
I guess that would depend, basically from the thermostat straight to the pipes in the tunnel - in my case via an oil cooler on the bulkhead. The return goes to the waterpump, as I have played with my cooling system, otherwise it would run with the other pipe. Headder tank is behing the window above the gearbox as are 90% of the ones on a corse....

I dont have any more helpfull pictures - Sorry...

17713bb
04-07-2015, 19:09
Hi Corky,

I have a great contact for you. Rick in the NC office at Brown & Miller. http://www.bmrs.net/

I used Brown & Miller in the past to order 1.5 inch stainless tubing with a 90° bend. Or, any other custom bend that works to route the plumbing. You can bead the ends yourself or include in the request.

In addition, I recall seeing you in another forum with a Scorpion. Brown & Miller has Scorpion stainless coolant tubes programmed in their system. They are able to create a set of Scorpion coolant tubes on demand.

Paul
04-07-2015, 23:51
Hi Corky

I followed the diagram in the manual, the only differences being the plumbing in of the oil cooler and instead of using the heater return connection at the back of the engine, I plumbed this into a T that was provided for on one of my main pipes in the tunnel at the front end of the car (this saves running an additional pipe through the tunnel, and achieves exactly the same thing). This meant blocking off the T on the return pipe at the back of the engine (see pic).
Of course, if your not using a heat exchanger type oil cooler, then you just run the pipe at the back of the engine straight to the main radiator return pipe that comes through the tunnel.
The main connection to the header tank is another T on one of the main tunnel pipes, this time at the engine end (see pic)
Pictures attached are what I could dig up easily from various stages of my build, so let me know if you need to see anything in more detail on the finished car

Paul

tipo158
05-07-2015, 18:50
One thing that I seem to be doing different is that I have a different oil cooler then most people are using, mine is an air heat exchange, not a water heat exchange. Looking at my attached photos, at the front of the engine there is only one outlet, and I believe that one goes to the radiator. At the rear of the engine there are many outlets/inlets. Using a diagram the I git from Craig, the top most outlet goes to the heater, but I'm not sure about using the smaller outlet on this one to return to the tank, but need to bleed any air back, so that might be a possibility. The next lower small outlet is the one that goes to the filler tank. The large inlet is the return from the radiator. The return line from the heater core will 'T' into the return line from the radiator. Does that sound right??

But I'm not sure about those two small outlets, I think it might be better to switch them, making the upper one going to the filler tanks, and the lower one return from the heater core. I would 'T' the inlet to the heater core off the inlet line to the radiator.

Thanks,
Corky

PS: I am amazed by how many different solutions there are to this. I also have my own tube bender, with several mandrel sizes.

strat24v
05-07-2015, 19:27
Alloy outlet at the front of the engine, to radiator.
large steel tube (black) at the back, return from rad.
smaller connection on steel pipe, bottom of header tank.
cast pipe from rear head, constant flow needed, goes to heater.
small pipe off that could be blocked off.

Paul
05-07-2015, 20:10
John
Does the cast heater pipe definitely need to be constant flow? I have a simple inline shutoff valve on the heater line. When looking at the flow diagram in the manual it looked to me as though the cylinder head has flow going both directions - both out the back to the heater and out the front through a little short hose to the water pump, so I didn't think any issue with a shutoff valve here.
Regards
Paul

Strat Fan
05-07-2015, 20:41
If you run the 8mm that runs through the throttle body back to the top of the header tank then you get constant flow through that which should allow you to use the simple 2 way heater valve & block that circuit off. The Alfa doesn't/didn't have a heater valve so the heater circuit was constant flow. The fail safe way is to use a 4 way heater valve which offers a bypass when the feed to the heater matrix is shut off & retains the constant flow.

Paul
05-07-2015, 20:51
Ok - so looks like I'm ok then - I do have the 8mm pipe plumbed back to the header tank
thanks for putting my mind at ease
Paul