PDA

View Full Version : 164 24 valve engine.

strat24v
14-07-2015, 20:35
164 24 valve engine and 5 speed gearbox. Last ran maybe ten years ago, been in a dry garage since. No plenum, throttle body or chrome runners.

£ 100.00

hollytree
17-07-2015, 05:04
Ask a silly question, but what is the difference between a 12v and 24v.
Would it be a straightforward swap for my Corse I apart from top end differences.
Regards
Steve

turbonutter
17-07-2015, 06:35
Ok I will start the ball rolling with the following:

The 24v is coil on plug
The exhaust manifolds have different flanges
The ecu is different
plenum is different
i seem to think the engine mounts are different
the bigger heads might foul the back rail of your chassis

probably a few other differences as well.....

strat24v
17-07-2015, 07:21
Corky (tipo 158) has a 164 spec 24 valve in his corse, maybe he could answer your question?

john
17-07-2015, 10:49
Unfortunately Steve your chassis was the last one to be built without the mods to allow easy fitment of the 24valve engines.
I think your biggest hurdle would be the rear cradle top crossrail which Neil mentioned above.
There is one out there but I lost touch with the guy who was building it and don't know what he had to do.
Last time I saw it the engine was in and sitting on the 12valve engine mounts I seem to remember, but there were issues to be resolved at the top end.
Corky rejigged his chassis and made new mounts I think.

Strat Fan
17-07-2015, 11:01
Ask a silly question, but what is the difference between a 12v and 24v.
Would it be a straightforward swap for my Corse I apart from top end differences.
Regards
Steve
I suspect it's not worth the effort for the minimal gain that would be achieved.
Run the car as it is until you get it shaken down & set up as you like. There are more gains to be had from a well set up car than there are from an extra 20hp. Once you've proven the car and if you still feel you need more power then look to a phase 2 or phase 3 engine rather than a 164 lump.

strat24v
17-07-2015, 11:27
At the risk of talking someone out of buying my engine, Craig's comments are right, there's much more performance to be gained from the chassis, dampers, tyres and braking. Make the engine upgrades once the former items have been addressed.

hollytree
18-07-2015, 00:00
Thanks for all your kind help.
Steve

ChrisCar6
19-07-2015, 01:08
Plumbing has a different route

hollytree
19-07-2015, 09:50
At the risk of talking someone out of buying my engine, Craig's comments are right, there's much more performance to be gained from the chassis, dampers, tyres and braking. Make the engine upgrades once the former items have been addressed.

Thanks for all the comments, I guess I will stay with the 12v. It was rebuilt before it was fitted and a i have a new 5 speed gearbox.
I dont intend to race or anything, but I like messing about building things - i guess that is why I started in the 1st place.
I would like to fit TBs, even though Craig has gievn me the sound advice I wont get any more power. Any advice as to what I would need to buy and best source.
Is an LSD worthwhile?
Is a 6 speed box possible? Cable change or keep the solid rod I have

Thanks
Steve

Strat Fan
19-07-2015, 10:22
There would be power gains to be made by adding the Itb's to the 12v but the gains are hard to justify relative to the costs involved.
To add ITB's to the 12v you would need to buy an aftermarket ECU (probably Emerald), a new engine loom, AH motorsport inlet runners, Jenvey throttle bodies & a rolling road session.

Fitting the ITB's to a 24v would be productive from a performance point of view, you will still need all of the above & in addition to fit the 24v to your car you will need to modify/re engineer the following-

Engine mounts
Exhaust system
Coolant return pipe

The fuel system would need re jigging for Itb's but nothing major.
The gear linkage could be left as it if you retain the 5 speed, if you were to go 6 speed then a swap to cable would be the easiest solution.
A Quaife lsd is a benefit if you intend to do track days but I doubt most will notice the difference on the road.

strat24v
19-07-2015, 11:36
The gains of fitting itb,s to a 12v would take you to stock 24v power. If modding the chassis is out, then go itbs on the 12 and a change of cams.

hollytree
19-07-2015, 12:51
The gains of fitting itb,s to a 12v would take you to stock 24v power. If modding the chassis is out, then go itbs on the 12 and a change of cams.

I have a 12v QV already. Are those cams any good?

strat24v
19-07-2015, 17:52
Too mild.

strat24v
19-07-2015, 17:55
I read recently that ah motorsports found bigger hp gains fitting just itb's on a 12v than they did on a 24v. You'd need some decent tubular manifolds too, 24v ones can be modified to suit.

Strat Fan
20-07-2015, 09:45
I haven't got any figures for a 12v engine, the only one I know of is the one that Susit has now built by David Carson.
I know of a 164 24v with ITB's which would have been 210Bhp stock but with Jenveys & an aftermarket ECU makes 276Bhp which seems like a reasonable gain.
I guess that will be a 50:50 split between the ECU & the ITB's, junking the AFM & going to the aftermarket ECU will have taken it to approx 240Bhp the rest will have come from fitting the Itb's.