PDA

View Full Version : New member from the Midlands

jamesbilluk
10-11-2015, 18:32
Hi all,

New member here, from Kidderminster, joined the club earlier on today as well, :)

I've put a deposit down on a Lister Bell starts today as well, which I'm very excited about! Ive always wanted to build a kit car, and always loved the starts, as soon as I found out about this one I knew I want dot go ahead, This will be my first kit car though, so hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew.....
I've got my heart set on the GT4 style body, in Red, with gold wheels, and the optional interior trim, I may go for the top light pods as well. I'll be going for the Alfa 166- 3.0 V6 for the engine.

Very much looking forward to having a read of all the threads, and the various build threads on here as well.

James.

strat24v
10-11-2015, 20:26
Nice one James. Welcome to the fold.
Read the posts and don't be shy on asking questions.

ChrisCar6
10-11-2015, 21:51
Most of the SEC seems to be Midlands based. Or is it just me?
Welcome James!

jamesbilluk
10-11-2015, 22:53
Many thanks guys :)

strat24v, will do! going to make sure I have wifi in my garage so I can have constant access to photos and threads

James.

LM mic
11-11-2015, 07:10
Welcome to the club James
And welcome too in the Listerbell owner group!!!
Are you starting to source donor and bits for your project ?

Jeff
11-11-2015, 09:12
Most of the SEC seems to be Midlands based. Or is it just me?
Welcome James!

Yes, it would seem so. It always feels like such a long drive north to me :)

Welcome to the club James. You're far from the first to start their first kit car with a Stratos replica, but with the LB I have to say that you've made a super choice that I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Best of luck (which you should not need).

jamesbilluk
11-11-2015, 11:46
Thanks guys, Just been spending the last week looking at photos of stratos's!, I'm not the best decision maker in the world, so narrowing down the colour and body choice was tricky!
LM mic, just starting to have a look now, I've printed off the list, I'll start to slowly work through it, I think Ive found an engine, Its from an alfa romeo breaker as well so I'm going to see if they have the other things I would need as well.
I used to have X19/s too and only recently sold all the spares!!

Jeff, great to hear, I was a bit worried I had got carried away when ordering it!, a cater ham was my other choice, this just looks fantastic though.

James.

Guy Mayers
11-11-2015, 12:46
Before you commit to a motor from a scrapyard I'd suggest you think again. Buy a complete donor so you can run it for a thousand miles or so so that you know it's mechanically sound plus you'll need the donor registration document to get an age related plate come SVA. If you don't then you end up with a "Q" plate.

Best of luck with the build when the kit arrives and welcome to the club!

Guy

LM mic
11-11-2015, 12:52
+1 with Guy
Watching at all adds in UK iy's far cheaper to buy the donor and do what Guy is advising specially because when necessary you will have on hand all particular ancilaries around the engine
(without speaking about all the harness !!) and if you examine the list of parts you can get from the donor and do the total to source those one by one you will be surprised !
Good luck "hunting" parts !!! this is the first pleasant game of the project

red5
11-11-2015, 12:53
Welcome James. Have a look through some of the ListerBell build threads, should give you a good idea of what you are letitng yourelf in for. ListerBell is a well engineere kit and as long as you have some amount of mechanical apptitude you shouldnt have much difficulty putting it together.

Where in the midlands are you? If you're close by you're more than welcome to have a look at mine, chassis is complete, engine in and running, body loosely fitted.

Nick

jasonlycett
11-11-2015, 13:04
Hi James

Ive got my LB kit arriving earlry next year and im building an identical car to you . Im based in Redditch up the road from you , your more than welcome to pop over when i get the kit.

jamesbilluk
11-11-2015, 13:21
Before you commit to a motor from a scrapyard I'd suggest you think again. Buy a complete donor so you can run it for a thousand miles or so so that you know it's mechanically sound plus you'll need the donor registration document to get an age related plate come SVA. If you don't then you end up with a "Q" plate.

Best of luck with the build when the kit arrives and welcome to the club!

Guy

Hi Guy

Many thanks, that was going to be my next question, regarding the V5 document, I'll start keeping an eye out for a 156 or 166 donor car, I hadn't thought of that part though.. removing the donor parts..

James.

jamesbilluk
11-11-2015, 13:22
+1 with Guy
Watching at all adds in UK iy's far cheaper to buy the donor and do what Guy is advising specially because when necessary you will have on hand all particular ancilaries around the engine
(without speaking about all the harness !!) and if you examine the list of parts you can get from the donor and do the total to source those one by one you will be surprised !
Good luck "hunting" parts !!! this is the first pleasant game of the project

Very true!, from a quick search, a whole car does seem quite a good price, instead of getting all the parts separately.

jamesbilluk
11-11-2015, 13:26
Welcome James. Have a look through some of the ListerBell build threads, should give you a good idea of what you are letitng yourelf in for. ListerBell is a well engineere kit and as long as you have some amount of mechanical apptitude you shouldnt have much difficulty putting it together.

Where in the midlands are you? If you're close by you're more than welcome to have a look at mine, chassis is complete, engine in and running, body loosely fitted.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Many thanks, Just starting to look though now, feeling a bit overwhelmed by them all! they're all very impressive!

Im based in Worcester, so not too bad, Thats very kind, thank you, would be great to see one in the flesh

James

jamesbilluk
11-11-2015, 13:27
Hi James

Ive got my LB kit arriving earlry next year and im building an identical car to you . Im based in Redditch up the road from you , your more than welcome to pop over when i get the kit.

Hi Jason,

Thats briiliant, thank you, That would be great to come over and see the kit when it all arrives.

James.

Gordon Caro
11-11-2015, 13:59
Hi Nick,

Many thanks, Just starting to look though now, feeling a bit overwhelmed by them all! they're all very impressive!

Im based in Worcester, so not too bad, Thats very kind, thank you, would be great to see one in the flesh

James

Hi James,

Welcome to the Stratos club. I am based about 30 miles south east of you and are currently building a LB. The engine is due to go in soon so if you want to have a look and take some photos contact me.

Gordon

jamesbilluk
11-11-2015, 14:14
Hi Gordon

Many thanks for the kind offer, I've dropped you a PM

Regards

James.