PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

powelly999
18-01-2016, 23:01
Hi everyone
Just joined, hoping to fulfill a boyhood dream and actually owning a Stratos! (well a replica anyway)

But which is the best kit?

Thank in advance

Powelly999

Guy Mayers
18-01-2016, 23:35
Oh don't open that can of worms!

Tooo late!

Accuracy - Hawk.

Build simplicity - LB.

Better wait for someone who's built one of each to come along but you're not going to get a definitive answer until you ask the question differently...

And welcome to the madhouse!

Guy

The Slug
19-01-2016, 00:49
Welcome to the forum.

The best Kit is the one that you think you can build.

Go and see both manufactures.
Do your research, don't listen to rumor and hearsay,
Do the sums for all the parts you will need,

THEN when YOU have made up your mind, ask the folk here who have built them.

Loads of knowledge on both kits, the good bits, the bad bits, its all here......

Then and most importantly Join the Club and get even more help...and enjoy whichever one you pick.

powelly999
19-01-2016, 13:09
Ahhhh thanks for the replies, just doing the research now but swinging towards the LB, only because of the better info on the web site though! I've spoken to a few people about them but now found this forum so there might be a few daft questions flying around from me in the coming months!

Thanks
Andy

Stratos Fear
19-01-2016, 13:18
Dont worry about supposedly daft questions ! The only truly daft question is one that is not asked - leaving you in a state of ignorance!

I'm a novice builder and several months into an LB build - it has its challenges for a novice but is do-able - but as Guy said below see both manufacturers and make up your own mind.

Good luck !

Peter C

ProtoTipo
19-01-2016, 13:49
Ahhhh thanks for the replies, just doing the research now but swinging towards the LB, only because of the better info on the web site though! Andy

I've got a feeling you've probably already made up you mind?

Before the last 5 years, there was never such a thing as a Lister Bell STR.
I wonder what each (pre 2010) Hawk/Transformer new kit buyer would choose today?

powelly999
19-01-2016, 15:48
I've got a feeling you've probably already made up you mind?

Ummm not really, some have said the Hawk has a better shell and finish?

Andy

strat24v
19-01-2016, 16:57
I'm a Hawk owner. Some aspects of the hawk are a tad more accurate, some parts of the Lister bell are more accurate. Hawk bodywork needs quite a bit of work, if you want it the same standard of fit and finish as the lb, then it's a lot of work. On top of all that prep is the cost of a good paint job, circa 4k plus, something you don't need on a Lister bell. Chassis wise the newcomer is better hands down, better suspension components, fully developed brake package, designed to take air-con etc etc etc.
As prototipo has mentioned, as a Hawk owner, I'd go Lister bell now. Keep asking the questions.

ChrisC
19-01-2016, 17:12
I honestly believe that if all the parts (and I mean ALL) were in the garage from day 1 then it would be possible to build the car in 4 weeks.

You would miss all the years of Hawk filled fun if you build the LB.

ProtoTipo
19-01-2016, 18:15

Andy

I'll send a PM.

red5
20-01-2016, 00:42

Andy

The finish of the LB bodywork is certainly not without faults, how it compares to the Hawk I don't know so can't comment..

Strat Fan
20-01-2016, 17:27
Hi everyone
Just joined, hoping to fulfill a boyhood dream and actually owning a Stratos! (well a replica anyway)

But which is the best kit?

Thank in advance

Powelly999

Welcome,

There isn't a definitive answer to your question as each persons requirement for a Stratos replica is different so what is right for one isn't necessarily right for another.
The best advice I can give is to make notes from the comments & opinions posted here & also from the ones that people have sent you via PM's!
Take these notes & then take the time to go visit each manufacturer in person so that you can spend time looking around the product & where you can further discuss the topics raised here. This way you should get a substantiated answer to each of these points & be able to assess the pros & cons of each car first hand.
As has been mentioned on here recently building a Stratos replica is a big commitment in both terms of time & financially so it is best to do your research thoroughly before you commit to anything.