PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Listed On Ebay - Don't Believe It

Guy Mayers
27-03-2016, 14:55
Just spotted this listing.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hawkridge-HF3000-Kit-Car-Lancia-Stratos-Unfinished-Project-Alfa-Romeo-V6-/322053708562?hash=item4afbe59b12:g:kJoAAOSwLpdW99gh

Obviously the seller doesn't know what the car is. Hawk it isn't.

No connection to the seller, buyer beware - know what you're bidding on!

Guy

strat24v
27-03-2016, 15:04
Looks to be Corse/Cae/Litton lineage. Front chassis bulkhead, roof droop, front clam return edges, boot lid recess. Certainly not anything Hawk.

Guy Mayers
27-03-2016, 15:15
Agreed John, not a Litton, no pointy nose but probably Corse? I'm sure someone will identify it soon, door bars look higher than anything I've ever seen too? Wouldn't want to have to climb over them to get in! I've warned the seller it's not a Hawk and he needs to change the listing or risk problems with the buyer later.

Guy

Strat Fan
27-03-2016, 16:22
Agreed John, not a Litton, no pointy nose but probably Corse? I'm sure someone will identify it soon, door bars look higher than anything I've ever seen too? Wouldn't want to have to climb over them to get in! I've warned the seller it's not a Hawk and he needs to change the listing or risk problems with the buyer later.

Guy

CAE Corse body is exactly the same as Litton & Allora so nose should be the same whichever variant.
Difficult to see from the pics but looks like a Corse "I". Front bulkhead, roll cage, rear bulkhead tubes & bonnet return say Corse, rack mounts & rear cradle tubes say Corse I. There weren't that many Corse I's produced by Litton so I'd guess at early CAE.
The far side door bar looks higher than it really is as the door is sat on the floor & not fitted to the car.

Strat Fan
27-03-2016, 16:37
Listing now ended, keep your eyes peeled for the updated corrected version......

And HERE (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C-A-E-Corse-Kit-Car-Lancia-Stratos-Unfinished-Project-Alfa-Romeo-164-V6-3-0L-/322053816933?hash=item4afbe74265:g:vFQAAOSwI3RW9~46) you go

Guy Mayers
27-03-2016, 18:05
Hadn't spotted the door on the floor Craig! D'Oh. Glad it's listed properly now, odd that he had a CAE build manual (now pictured) but originally listed as a Hawk?

No sign or mention of the screen - are they still available?

ProtoTipo
27-03-2016, 18:09
It's been so long since one of these has turned up.
You would expect it to do well, simply because unfinished (or unstarted) kits turn up for sale these days?

ProtoTipo
27-03-2016, 18:22
Difficult to see from the pics but looks like a Corse "I".

Craig,
Is 16" coffin spoke the best rear wheel choice here?
It's not as if you're going to say no is it?!;)

Choices would be limited though on a Corse I with Stradale rear?

ProtoTipo
27-03-2016, 18:28

Unless, as you mentioned before about David May's Mercedes wheel offset choice.
(Phil D's photo)

Strat Fan
27-03-2016, 19:02
Hadn't spotted the door on the floor Craig! D'Oh. Glad it's listed properly now, odd that he had a CAE build manual (now pictured) but originally listed as a Hawk?

No sign or mention of the screen - are they still available?
It doesn't appear as though the seller is the original purchaser if he didn't know what it actually was does it?
For the screen it would make sense to just use the heated screen from the club, the bodywork will need plenty of filler work anyway so adapting the rebate wouldn't be a big issue. Corse screens are available but why bother these days.

Strat Fan
27-03-2016, 19:14
Craig,
Is 16" coffin spoke the best rear wheel choice here?
It's not as if you're going to say no is it?!;)

16" coffin spoke all round would work as would a 16" front, 17" rear combination. It depends how wide you want to go with the tyres but I think it would have to be a GP4 wheel arch conversion

I'm sure "someone" could help with all the parts that are missing from the kit but without a definitive list of what's included it's hard to say what's actually required to complete it.

Strat Fan
27-03-2016, 20:01
It's been so long since one of these has turned up.
You would expect it to do well, simply because unfinished (or unstarted) kits turn up for sale these days?

It will be interesting to see what it makes for sure. I do think that the listing is somewhat vague & on the evidence of the pictures shown then the kit is far from complete despite the listing saying otherwise. A Strato's replica build isn't for the faint hearted at the best of times but an early '90's Corse would require someone with prior knowledge of building a kit & someone who is more than proficient in the black art that is fibreglass to complete the project. Maybe another one for Mick Covill to look at?

john
27-03-2016, 20:24
The body looks remarkably like the package that was for sale on Gumtree a while ago. In some farmers barn.
Was it Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire?

Strat Fan
27-03-2016, 20:53
The body looks remarkably like the package that was for sale on Gumtree a while ago. In some farmers barn.
Was it Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire?

A similar surface finish but not the same car!

NoCorseChris
27-03-2016, 20:59
It's a darn site more complete than what I started with on my build.....but that V6 looks like it needs to be weighed in.

Strat Fan
27-03-2016, 21:09
It's a darn site more complete than what I started with on my build.....but that V6 looks like it needs to be weighed in.

Start bidding Chris, you meet the criteria & you have a suitable donor already stripped & ready to fit!!;)

NoCorseChris
27-03-2016, 21:33
What are you trying to do to me Craig! :eek:

strat24v
27-03-2016, 21:52
bet that wallet is twitching!!

Guy Mayers
27-03-2016, 22:04
Five bidders already! If it follows the usual eBay pattern we'll see it tail off tomorrow and then a frenzy in the last hour!

I think it's calling to you Chris - there aren't many out there with the qualifications to do it justice!

Guy

Strat Fan
27-03-2016, 22:06
What are you trying to do to me Craig! :eek:
I can furnish you with a 2.5 V6 for the current project & you can then save the 3.0 for another Strat!!
The new man shed looks big enough to cope with both.......:cool:

strat24v
27-03-2016, 22:30
Think Chris has decided, just the matter of convincing Vicky...

ProtoTipo
28-03-2016, 07:36
It will be interesting to see what it makes for sure. I do think that the listing is somewhat vague & on the evidence of the pictures shown then the kit is far from complete despite the listing saying otherwise. A Strato's replica build isn't for the faint hearted at the best of times but an early '90's Corse would require someone with prior knowledge of building a kit & someone who is more than proficient in the black art that is fibreglass to complete the project. Maybe another one for Mick Covill to look at?

We all know it won't be easy. I doubt that would stop a fight between the people for whom a new Stratos replica kit is out of reach?

I've decided what it should be worth, and guessed what price it will actually get to.

ProtoTipo
28-03-2016, 07:42
Think Chris has decided, just the matter of convincing Vicky...

If that's Newport South Wales, it's not far from Worcestershire!

NoCorseChris
28-03-2016, 08:26
Good grief....I must have really upset you guys for you to be wishing that onto me again!....

...I stand by what I said way back. If money was no object, I'd be beating a path to Craig's door to order myself a Toyota powered LB kit.

Whilst I might be uniquely qualified to take on this EBay offering.....I think it's fair to say I only had one project like that in me. Just looking at it brought back some memories I'd rather not retain!

If anyone on here is contemplating buying it, I wish you well, but be prepared for a lot of work. Who knows what will be missing from the collection of parts on offer that you will have to fabricate yourself.

I'll stick to my Midlana project until that lottery win comes in I think, although I can't deny that the vote of confidence in my potential to take Corse on is flattering :o

Chris' comment is spot on though I think, there will be someone out there in the same position I was, desperate to have one but without the funds to do it the (relatively) easy way.

john
28-03-2016, 08:39
Why do you say "not the same car" Craig?
I didn't look at the gumtree listing that closely. Maybe you know where that one is?!

ProtoTipo
28-03-2016, 09:11
This is the ebay listing for the Gumtree Corse:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lancia-stratos-replica-kit-/271575521592?rmvSB=true&afsrc=1&clk_rvr_id=1005130080420&nma=true&si=CacGv%252BRq2Aq40IT40zOpAVtJSm8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Strat Fan
28-03-2016, 09:32
Why do you say "not the same car" Craig?
I didn't look at the gumtree listing that closely. Maybe you know where that one is?!

This is the 3rd "Corse" that has come up on either eBay or Gumtree, The one Chris has referenced above is the scratch build chassis abomination with Corse body work which passed through Mick Covill's hands before ending up with a man named Henry in Italy.
The one to which you refer I am aware of as I have met with both a prospective buyer & the actual owner. That one had a Ferrari based rear cradle & if you look really carefully you see that this one has an Alfa based rear cradle. To the best of my knowledge the Ferrari one is still in the aforementioned barn until the owner arranges transportation to his new address.

ProtoTipo
28-03-2016, 10:53
The one Chris has referenced above is the scratch build chassis abomination with Corse body work which passed through Mick Covill's hands before ending up with a man named Henry in Italy.

This one Craig? (with the stored outside mildew covered panels?):
http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/2711-Corse-for-sale-on-Gumtree-anyone?

Strat Fan
28-03-2016, 11:43
This one Craig? (with the stored outside mildew covered panels?):
http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/2711-Corse-for-sale-on-Gumtree-anyone?

This is the scratch build one once Mick had cleaned it up-

john
28-03-2016, 18:51
So were any of these the kit which supposedly belonged to Yosuke and reportedly had much work done to the bodywork?
Doesn't seem that way from appearances. So that must have been a different animal entirely?

Strat Fan
03-04-2016, 16:47
I've decided what it should be worth, and guessed what price it will actually get to.

Go on then Chris, what did you value it at vs what price you thought it would make vs the price it did actually make? Be honest now!!

Guy Mayers
03-04-2016, 17:10
And was the winner anyone on here?

Guy

turbonutter
03-04-2016, 17:24
It wasn't me, but if it is complete, then not a bad price...

IainHF
03-04-2016, 17:36
Had a hard think about it, but reigned it in last minute.
I've been thinking about a Stratos replica build for some time, but think the combination of lack of mfr support and age that the kit has been stored (not very well by the look of it) conspired against it - almost at any price.
I don't think there's a cut price way to complete one of these and as tempting as it looks I'd wager in 12months time the spend would either be the same as new, or would be hampered by parts availability.
Plus right at this moment I've another project on the go which means the timing wasn't ideal.

Darkspeed
03-04-2016, 18:09
I had it pegged at £3-4K for what was seen - the ad was very poor and you would have had to make contact to find out just what parts were included as if the sale. If all the wishbones/hubs rack etc. were included then it could be a bit of a bargain.

john
03-04-2016, 20:15
Yes. There were some expensive parts missing from the advert pictures. If it is indeed a Corse I then there are four expensive cast uprights required. Windscreen. Rack.
It wouldn't have been too difficult to source any missing parts and if you are prepared to put in enough time for free then even poor fibreglass bodywork can be brought back to life.
All in all I think it went for the right price.