PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear

StruanR
21-11-2011, 12:51
Hawk Stratos Top Gear feature was on again last night. Good to see it again, although we know it was all faked up for the cameras.
Most people accept Top Gear as entertainment nowadays, rather than serious analysis of motoring issues.....
There were plenty of positives to take from the exposure, despite some snide comments. Major manufacturers have fared far worse.

ProtoTipo
21-11-2011, 13:47
I think there's more truth in what J. Clarkson said than most would want to admit.

The Slug
21-11-2011, 15:03
Which bit, the one day you will see your reflection.....or built by a spanner with a hammer....?

Still not sure how he knew I intended to build one????????

Jeff
21-11-2011, 15:11
The original airing of that show was what got me thinking "I'd like to build of of those." How naive was I? :D

Answers on a PM please :)

tipo158
21-11-2011, 16:02
After having access for more the 9 months and not knowing it, I watched about three hours of the "Best of Top Gear" yesterday. Unfortunately the Hawk episode was not one of those I watched. I agree that this program is more entertaining then educational, like subsutuding a Yugo for a Bently, then end it by robbing a bank, or driving a combine that was converted to a snowplow in Norway, with a flame thrower and grit spreader attachments. How can anyone take thse guys serious. But I would really like their job.

ProtoTipo
21-11-2011, 17:11
Which bit, the one day you will see your reflection.....or built by a spanner with a hammer....?

Yes Ian, both those.

The cars are only as good as the people who built them. That's very true.
One day you will see your reflection.... That's also true.

We forgive the cars a lot. We're blind to how often they fall short of being easily usable, how much commitment and patience it takes to actually own and/or build one. Simply because of how good they look, and what they represent.

The Slug
21-11-2011, 17:19
For those who missed the Joke in the program.

Did someone say it took 20 laps to get the timed one on TV?..........;)

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/brand-new-clip-diy-lancia-stratos

StruanR
21-11-2011, 23:32
And build an Alitalia version for £13k....I don't think so...
£30k more like, plus the cost of your labour....

Elliott
23-11-2011, 22:20
I wouldn't want to go back to the ructions that episode caused in our small band. I can't bring myself to watch it myself.