PDA

View Full Version : Nellie's transplant begins

Bernard
22-10-2016, 16:09
Started the transplant yesterday....the old smokin' 12v is being replaced by a fairly low mileage 24v in standard trim phase 3 Alfa....
10482104831048410485Let's see how long this takes me !!!...... Eric is still silting in the back of the garage !..
cheers
Phil

john
22-10-2016, 17:12
Nice progress. What's the hurry?
Enjoy and good luck with it Phil.
New engine looks nice and clean. Have you done any work on it?
Don't throw that old 12v away!!

Bernard
22-10-2016, 17:56
Hi John... New engine has only had plugs,clutch, clutch slave cylinder, cam belt and a clean up as it has done 56k apparently.... So minimal work.... The old 12v has been claimed by Jerry Bailey... I just want to get Nellie done reasonably quickly so that I don't have too many jobs half finished !!

Stratie.fr
22-10-2016, 18:52
Hi Phil
Good to see this transplant job with a new "heart" for a Nellie's new youth! ;)
A Nice 24 V ! How much power more?
Eric could be jealous!! LOL

Frederic

LM mic
22-10-2016, 21:52
Good work started Phil
Hope you will take me for aride with when coming back early january !!!!:o

Bernard
23-10-2016, 16:44
Frederic..... It's a standard engine so only about 30bhp more.... But the extra valves make the engine more responsive.

Michel.... You clearly don't know how fast / slow I work !.....will aim for January but don't hold your breath!

Lancialulu
23-10-2016, 18:11
Great work and an interesting blog. I have money on a New Year blast...

Stratie.fr
23-10-2016, 19:54
Phil...Thanks for explanations, do you intent to use Nellie for racing?

Tim...you're lucky. Lol!! Do you drive recently your nice Stratos? Are you going back in Aude again or in Italy for some events? Padova italian cars show maybe?

Frederic

Bernard
23-10-2016, 21:23
No racing for Nellie, Frederic..... Just car tour holiday's

Lancialulu
23-10-2016, 21:36
Tim...you're lucky. Lol!! Do you drive recently your nice Stratos? Are you going back in Aude again or in Italy for some events? Padova italian cars show maybe?

Frederic Hi Frederic - I sent you a PM

Stratie.fr
24-10-2016, 09:14
Thanks Tim
Have a great Time with your projects and enjoy driving Shades! :)
Cheers
Frederic

LM mic
24-10-2016, 13:28
Frederic..... It's a standard engine so only about 30bhp more.... But the extra valves make the engine more responsive.

Michel.... You clearly don't know how fast / slow I work !.....will aim for January but don't hold your breath!

Hey Phill !!!
Just try to do less drives to Auvergne and refit her quickly so you can give a drive at Nicole during spring (stoneileght ?) !!!!

Am also thinking may be to leave my first built bare of any carpet and Alcantara for fun racing and start another in short base Toy engine or any new stuuf and have her as aroad car fully trimmed as Ironman did!!!.........
Humm am lucky Nicole do not read the forum!!!!!!:cool:

Bernard
24-10-2016, 13:31
Sounds like a plan..... 1 race car and 1 road car !!!........... I can put the race car in my garage and take her out for a spin if you like !!! LOL

The less Nicole know's the better.....

Have a safe trip

Phil

Bernard
04-11-2016, 18:19
Well all was going ok....all parts off the rear chassis, new small fuel tank to accept the Alfa submersible pump designed and drawings taken to fabricator, lots of consumable parts ordered and delivered.

today started to fit the new exhaust / head gaskets.... Tightening the bolts and then the last one sheared in the head !!....I think I said bugger at the time.....managed to drill it out but ended up tapping the M8 hole out to M10 then making an adaptor stud M8 to M10...... Adrian Newey would be proud !...not..... But it worked

Strat Fan
05-11-2016, 08:51
Well all was going ok....all parts off the rear chassis, new small fuel tank to accept the Alfa submersible pump designed and drawings taken to fabricator, lots of consumable parts ordered and delivered.

today started to fit the new exhaust / head gaskets.... Tightening the bolts and then the last one sheared in the head !!....I think I said bugger at the time.....managed to drill it out but ended up tapping the M8 hole out to M10 then making an adaptor stud M8 to M10...... Adrian Newey would be proud !...not..... But it worked

Don't do it again but if you do I have a Helicoil kit you could have borrowed!

Lancialulu
05-11-2016, 12:42
I recommend "Bigsert"s if a helicoil insert has gone otherwise "Timesert"s in place of a helicoil as the timesert is a continuous metal thread - expensive through Wurth but worth it.

Strat Fan
05-11-2016, 13:22
I recommend "Bigsert"s if a helicoil insert has gone otherwise "Timesert"s in place of a helicoil as the timesert is a continuous metal thread - expensive through Wurth but worth it.

There aren't any Helicoils in the Alfa heads as standard Tim, simply M8 threads with manifold studs threaded directly into the aluminium heads.

Lancialulu
05-11-2016, 17:38
That's the difference I guess between Alfa and Lancia. All Lancia alloy threads are helicoiled..... Sometime the helicoil gives up after 50 years... Hence my love of Timeserts!

Bernard
05-11-2016, 17:51
There aren't any Helicoils in the Alfa heads as standard Tim, simply M8 threads with manifold studs threaded directly into the aluminium heads.

I'll remember that Craig..... However I don't plan on doing it again...thanks for the offer

Bernard
19-02-2017, 16:56
Well coming on ok but had a numpty moment today!.....before fitting the engine I forgot to drain the oil...so went on the underside to see that the sump plug was only MM. Away from the chassis rail...and bloopy tight...couldn't shift it !!.... So loosened off the engine mounts, compressed the shock absorber and jacked up the engine which then allowed me to get a socket directly on the end with a power bar... Still no luck...put an extension on the power bar and eventually it came loose....... Drained the oil .....and put a groove into the threads of the plug (half moon shape) so the next time I change the oil I will just loosen the sump plug and it should slowly drain without taking it out fully.10906

LM mic
19-02-2017, 17:18
Hummmm !! Phil ... in doing that you will never check
1/ if all old oil will come out
2/ if there are "small debris stuck on the magnet plug

Taking off the plug and inserting anew cooper seal is (to me :o) the smart opération !

That said ; you will change probably mutch more things before doing the 5000 miles run oil ?????????????????????????? LOL

Otherwise ; good progress done !!!! congrats :)

Bernard
19-02-2017, 18:51
Hummmm !! Phil ... in doing that you will never check
1/ if all old oil will come out
2/ if there are "small debris stuck on the magnet plug

Taking off the plug and inserting anew cooper seal is (to me :o) the smart opération !

That said ; you will change probably mutch more things before doing the 5000 miles run oil ?????????????????????????? LOL

Otherwise ; good progress done !!!! congrats :)

hi Michel.... Did think of your comments whilst on the job....I think I can just undo 2 x engine mount nuts and compress shocker and jack engine up within 10 mins so not a major issue.... But as you say I usually change the oil every year anyway so it shouldn't be too bad..

LM mic
19-02-2017, 20:04
:o:cool::)

Bernard
10-05-2017, 21:02
Well after a few niggles completely of my own making....with a great deal of help from Craig over at Lister Bell..... Advice from Chris Savage...Nellie is ready for the road again with her phase 3 engine....still a few little issues to sort out but nothing that will prevent her running.....today is a GOOD DAY !......a Really Good day !

cheers

Phil

turbonutter
10-05-2017, 21:05
That's goon news Phill��

Guy Mayers
10-05-2017, 21:21
Does that bring the Zagato anywhere near being started Phil?

Guy

Bernard
10-05-2017, 21:56
Does that bring the Zagato anywhere near being started Phil?

Guy

Yes Guy......from 2050 to 2049 !!...lol

Bernard
11-05-2017, 11:44
So to summarise...

Alfa 3.0 V6 Engine swop from 12V 5 speed (164) to 24V Phase 3 - 6 speed (166) in a Hawk.

This is by no means a comprehensive list but it will give you a flavour of what is required, so in no particular order…
Fabricate new gearbox mount.
I used ListerBell cable gear linkage and gear lever mount – fitted Alfa gearstick.
Fit accelerator potentiometer.
Revamp Exhaust system.
Alter engine steady bar.
Alter water system as the thermostat is at opposite ends of the engine.
Splice ecu into Hawk loom – Craig at ListerBell did a great job on mine.
Re orientate the clutch slave cylinder with a 156 mounting bracket, this will also require a longer push rod approx. 95mm long. (this actually made me think that the master cylinder was not pushing enough fluid but in actual fact the slave cylinder did not have enough travel due to its slightly different orientation to the clutch lever, hence the longer push rod. I fitted a 7/8” master cylinder but after my holidays I may revert back to ¾”).
Fuel system re routed.
Find a suitable position for the alternator (mine is bulkhead side) fabricate new bracket, tensioner system and find suitable multi vee belt.

Advised for replacement … the items below where new.
Cam belt
Plugs
Oil and Filter
Air Filter
Gear oil
Clutch centre plate and pressure plate – FWIW… I stayed with the DMF
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch release bearing
Dot 4 hydraulic clutch pipe
Fuel Pipes and connectors
Engine / Gearbox mounts
Check water pump impeller.

Note to self…. Anything that that you touch / remove / alter, use this as a starting point to find your problems !
Also if things do go wrong take time out with a cup of tea and have a think !..... Oh and a biscuit or 2.

Should anyone wish to see it in the flesh then please let me know.

Cheers

Phil

LM mic
11-05-2017, 12:03
Hello Phil
Will be very please to have look of what you did !!
Should have these following weeks may be some evening free for a pizza and a visit as am actually on the Ferry and back again to Newark ( for at least 11/2 months or so !!!!!!:rolleyes:)

turbonutter
11-05-2017, 13:24
So to summarise...

Alfa 3.0 V6 Engine swop from 12V 5 speed (164) to 24V Phase 3 - 6 speed (166) in a Hawk.

Note to self…. Anything that that you touch / remove / alter, use this as a starting point to find your problems !
Also if things do go wrong take time out with a cup of tea and have a think !..... Oh and a biscuit or 2.

Should anyone wish to see it in the flesh then please let me know.

Cheers

Phil

I'll pop round for a look, once my Ecu is back....

ProtoTipo
26-05-2017, 16:17
Does that bring the Zagato anywhere near being started Phil?Guy

I've found Phil another one:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C874153

Guy Mayers
26-05-2017, 16:26
Saw it on eBay at lunchtime - it was listed at £2250.00 which I thought a tad optimistic. Price dropped to £1500!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967-8-LANCIA-FULVIA-ZAGATO-SPARES-ONLY-PLEASE-READ-TEXT-CAREFULLY-1-500-/192197059237?hash=item2cbfd662a5:g:aQMAAOSwrhBZJtvt

Check out the pictures after it was moved..... Should have been left where it was.

May be of use for the glass, grill and that's about it.....

Bernard
26-05-2017, 18:31
Makes mine look showroom !!...lol

Bernard
30-05-2017, 08:52
A couple of piccies on Nellie's first shakedown run out.... 1060 miles in Scotland !
Cheers
Phil

Lancialulu
30-05-2017, 09:01
Who said these fantastic cars cant go long distances without poaching their owners!!

Lovely pics.

tomsredstratos
30-05-2017, 14:34
Looks fun.

Was the weather kind?

Bernard
30-05-2017, 14:44
Looks fun.

Was the weather kind?

Hi Tom

Yes the weather was better than expected, we only had a couple of days where it rained virtually all day... but it didn't stop us going anywhere... On the Saturday when it rained all day we went over the Applecross road "Bealach na Bà"... which is about 2000ft ASL... great road with great views even in the rain !
brighter days !

Bernard
17-06-2017, 12:54
Just a quick update.....
Craig has wired in the "sport mode switch"......we had left it out originally until the engine and wiring were proven...

its well worth it !!!!........it really sharpens up throttle response as soon as you touch the pedal....without this switch you have to fully depress the throttle for the engine to respond....

so you can have quite a docile car or a more responsive back lane car...

thanks Craig

cheers
Phil

Bernard
21-06-2017, 07:09
Just a quick update.....
Craig has wired in the "sport mode switch"......we had left it out originally until the engine and wiring were proven...

its well worth it !!!!........it really sharpens up throttle response as soon as you touch the pedal....without this switch you have to fully depress the throttle for the engine to respond....

so you can have quite a docile car or a more responsive back lane car...

thanks Craig

cheers
Phil

Bump to the top as I think this post slipped thro the net !

Stradale493
21-06-2017, 13:12
That is a good reminder for me - I remember asking Craig what he did with this switch wiring (hard wired open, closed or switchable) when we exchanging emails on the potential of keeping cruise-control functionality in the wiring. I can't remember getting a definitive answer but being able to switch modes sounded like the best option for me.
I'd forgotten all about it since

Bernard
21-06-2017, 13:35
That is a good reminder for me - I remember asking Craig what he did with this switch wiring (hard wired open, closed or switchable) when we exchanging emails on the potential of keeping cruise-control functionality in the wiring. I can't remember getting a definitive answer but being able to switch modes sounded like the best option for me.
I'd forgotten all about it since

mmmmmmmmmmm............ cruise control with the STR mode switched off....... could be great for touring in France......... are you listening Craig ????