PDA

View Full Version : Lancia V6 Plenum

Fingers
25-01-2017, 07:35
Found this on ebay.de. Makes a nice addition the the Alfa V6 bolts straight on. Has the larger inlet runners too which is a good upgrade for the 2.5.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Lancia-Thesis-3-0-V6-Ansaugbrucke-Saugkrummer-Motorcode-841A000-/322171076772?hash=item4b02e480a4:g:5IkAAOSwoudW3Zr5

Stratos Fear
25-01-2017, 18:28
Thanks Paul - I bought it! I'd seen yours and was so impressed I've been looking for one since (albeit a bit half-heartedly).
Peter

ah_sprite
25-01-2017, 18:38
If I'd had some spare dosh, I'd have done the same! My Alfa ones are just about to head off for powdercoating - black, silver or red wrinkle finish... decisions decisions!

Stratos Fear
25-01-2017, 18:48
Black crackle finish looks good. Did mine with a spray can (before I bought the Lancia plenum)

ChrisCar6
25-01-2017, 23:30
the throttle body mount on the Lancia ones are different from the Alfa plenums.( They used a twin butterfly sequential arrangement)
I produced a siamese answer

Strat Fan
25-01-2017, 23:46
the throttle body mount on the Lancia ones are different from the Alfa plenums.( They used a twin butterfly sequential arrangement)
I produced a siamese answer
The one that Paul linked to & Peter bought looks like a phase 3 plenum so will hopefully have the same DBW throttle body as the 166/156 Ph2 & Ph3.
The Lancia one in your pics with the twin TB looks like a Ph1 24v that still has the idle air control valve?
How the larger inlet runners locate onto the smaller port alloy 2.5 casting is a question for Peter and/or Paul?

Fingers
26-01-2017, 05:36
Yeah, the inlet runners bolt straight on the the 2.5 right through to the 3.2. On the 2.5 you just need to open up the plates that bolt to the heads, but the gaskets are the perfect template as they are the same no matter which size engine. I used a rotary file on the end of a drill and smoothed it out with a flap wheel. I think the one in the pictures above is from a Lancia Kappa, the Thesis seem to have the same shape plenum as the later Alfa V6's

Spartan
26-01-2017, 08:50
Throttle-body and runners aside, am I right in thinking that there are some differences in the engine breather connections (etc.) to the manifold between the Alfa and Lancia?

I have it in mind that ph2 Alfa engines only have a breather off one cam. case where ph3 have a breather connection off both? Either I've dreamt that or possibly that could explain the difference. :o

Strat Fan
26-01-2017, 09:21
Throttle-body and runners aside, am I right in thinking that there are some differences in the engine breather connections (etc.) to the manifold between the Alfa and Lancia?

I have it in mind that ph2 Alfa engines only have a breather off one cam. case where ph3 have a breather connection off both? Either I've dreamt that or possibly that could explain the difference. :o

The 2.5 156 engines do not have a breather from the front rocker cover, they have the conventional breather from the rear bank at the gear box end of the engine, they then have a second breather from the back corner of the cover at the cam wheel end, this is the one which is normally split & leaking oil down the back corner of the engine. These are then all linked to the plenum via the oil catch tank which is mounted to the back of the plenum, there is also one connection from this system which connects into the inlet tube which is pre throttle body.
The phase 2 3.0 166 engine have a similar oil catch tank arrangement on the back of the plenum but this engine does appear to have a breather from both rocker covers at the gearbox end of the covers, the rear bank breather is connected to the small catch tank system on the back of the plenum & then into the plenum, the front breather simply connects the inlet tube pre throttle body. I wonder if the angle that the engine is fitted at in the 156 means that the front head is too low to breathe effectively which is why they tried to run two breathers from the rear head only.

The Ph3 engines are a lot simpler with one breather from each bank, the one from the rear bank connects directly to the back of the plenum, the one from the front bank connects directly to the inlet tube pre throttle body. There is no oil catch tank on these engines.

Stratos Fear
26-01-2017, 11:36
This is the one I bought. I'm hoping, as Paul suggested, it will be a relatively straightforward swap?
Haven't had a chance to work out all the hose connections yet but it doesn't seem too complicated (or perhaps that's just my naivety ! )
Anyway what can possibly go wrong ?
(Craig's comments also v. useful.)
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NBEAAOSwxp9W3Zrq/s-l500.jpg

Fingers
26-01-2017, 17:02
Those unions all unscrew out of the plenum easily, I've swapped mine around to suit my set up, and blanked one off. I'll take a close up photo later on, I think there are a couple in my build thread that will show waht I've done.

Strat Fan
26-01-2017, 17:40

Stratie.fr
26-01-2017, 21:00

That's a nice job!
I have bought same one last year from a Lancia Thesis but doesn't fit on my Alfa 12 v...
Some works to do for using in my car
but there is one Blue Strat rep here which has the same one ( see picture of a recent french magazine about this Car)10821

Fingers
27-01-2017, 07:46
I've swapped the unions around to suit my setup and you can see the BSP blank on the right. Easy. I also paint stripped it and painted it with the black wrinkle paint, lots of layers then dried with a heat gun to get the wrinkles just how I wanted them.

Stratos Fear
27-01-2017, 10:37
Thanks Craig, Frederic and Paul - some really useful shots and comments. It looks really good .
I'll let you know how I get on.
Paul - presumably you ground off the Alfa logo from the other cover and painted over?

Also regarding Blogs - Paul I cant see your blog on this site - you've baffled me ? . It is not listed in the Blogs list - in fact the only Blogs I can see are:

my own (Stratos Fear)
NS Corse (Turbonutter)
Ducatiman
and a User Guide to SEC Blogs

Are there others?

Peter

Fingers
27-01-2017, 18:43
I don't have a blog here just a build thread. http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/1212-LB-in-NZ

Yes, I ground the Alfa script off the coil cover then media blasted it before painting, you can't see that there was ever anything there.

(http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/1212-LB-in-NZ)

Stratie.fr
28-01-2017, 15:56
That's the item...the trouble is the big base on the Lancia one which doesn't fit on the Alfa as you can see on pics !1083310834

Stratos Fear
28-01-2017, 19:02
Frederic - it's a straight swap on the 24V engine.