PDA

View Full Version : Valuable Teddy bear

ironman523
04-02-2017, 04:00
Here is a picture of me holding "Mr Woppitt" who must be one of the most famous and valuable bears on the planet. For those that don't know he was Donald Campbell's mascot and was in the cockpit with him of the Bluebird K7 boat when he crashed at over 300mph killing him instantly in 1967 (Campbell not the bear). Mr Whoppitt was one of the few things that floated to the surface straight after the crash. I have long been interested in the Campbell's and the water speed record and went to Coniston on the 4th Jan this year for the 50th anniversary of his death. There I Met Gina Campbell who is Donald's daughter and she kindly let me hold Mr Whoppitt which I have to say was very special to me. Never thought a teddy bear could make a chap so happy :-)

LM mic
04-02-2017, 07:12
Wouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwww !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
That s really an interesting story and I can undetsand how happy you where and how proud you could be !!!
Am also very interested about all concerning those speed beast reading a lot of articles about Campbell builts , and all his speed tests and improvments !!!!
Thanks Rob for sharing such a nice story :rolleyes::o

Stratie.fr
04-02-2017, 11:43
I have seen "in flesh" the Bluebird when I visited Beaulieu national Motor Museum in last November
I was very impressed and appreciating how brave you should be for driving this one at High speed!!

LM mic
04-02-2017, 12:07
You are right Fredéric ; on 4 wheels is yet achallenge but on the water is 5 time much more dangerous !!!! they are totaly crazy those guys
Specially those who come back to speed after several tremendous chrashes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stratos Fear
04-02-2017, 14:44
I'm old enough to remember the news of the crash in 1967 - it was spectacularly horrible to see the boat flip over at 300mph. Brave man indeed . ( I have the same horrible feeling about Richard Noble's forthcoming land speed quest with Andy Green (?) as driver. I really cannot believe any wheeled vehicle can stay on the ground at 1000mph !)
But regarding the water-borne Bluebird isnt somebody re-building it ?

LM mic
04-02-2017, 16:25
yes it's a fellow named Bill Smith

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3929762/Donald-Campbell-s-Bluebird-roars-life-thanks-painstaking-restoration-50-years-legendary-speedboat-racer-died-trying-break-world-speed-record.html

Stratos Fear
07-02-2017, 11:08
Yes - fascinating story and a great project !

Normb666
07-02-2017, 13:59
Their website is

www.bluebirdproject.com

Fascinating site, amazing vision and skills. They're keeping as much of the original as they possibly can (you wouldn't believe what they've managed to re-use), and the aim is to have it back on the water at some point (they won't say when - "it'll be finished when it's finished"). Makes a Stratos build feel like doing an Airfix 1/72nd model kit :)

You can also donate on there as it's all being funded by well-wishers, both private and corporate, as they gave the Heritage Lottery Fund the push a long time ago :)

ah_sprite
07-02-2017, 17:07
Yeah, it's one of the best 'private' projects that I've seen. It'll be magnificent when it's done - shame it's only going to get one run up the Lake before it goes into the museum, really!

LM mic
07-02-2017, 18:28
Yeah, it's one of the best 'private' projects that I've seen. It'll be magnificent when it's done - shame it's only going to get one run up the Lake before it goes into the museum, really!

It's better like that ; will demonstrate that Campbell did a nice project; but without all necessary budget to improve what was done by Campebell years it will be a crazy idea to attempt to any speed record so it's a good idea to leave this rebuilt alive and safe to show to young generations how hudge was Campbell idea

Just for information look on You tube at the replica some have built !!!!
On the first attempt it was sinking after 200 yards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On those fields ; no money = danger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Normb666
07-02-2017, 21:49
They couldn't try for any sort of mega-speed even if they wanted to - the motor (a Bristol-Siddeley Orpheus, same type as the original) has been de-rated so it doesn't produce as much power. They want to get it "on the plane" to demo it and prove that it works and they'll be happy with that. They reckon it should plane at about 65mph or so, so say 80 to keep it there and looking good...think that'd do for me if I was driving it, thanks!
There's also a speed limit on the lake now, but they've successfully managed to get permission to have that lifted for their runs. And they're not ruling out further occasional demo runs so people can come and see it as it's meant to be, rather than a purely static, empty display.
I reckon that's absolutely fantastic and exactly how it should be, and all due respect to them for having the vision and bloody-mindedness to make it happen!

As for that replica...well, good for them, it's no different to what we're doing with our Hawks, LB's, Alloras, Littons etc. But getting it to sink is p'raps taking the the replication thing a bit too far :)

LM mic
08-02-2017, 07:31
But getting it to sink is p'raps taking the the replication thing a bit too far :)

;););):D:o