PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slave Cylinder

Bernard
04-04-2017, 08:59
Hi All

Nellie runs this Fiat X19 Clutch Master Cylinder with a 19.05mm bore fitted under the dash board between 2 side plates

To save me doing huge mods.........
Does anyone know if a cylinder of the same design but with 1" bore exists ??... any help most welcome

Cheers

Phil

Cadami
04-04-2017, 10:33
The only 1" cylinder I found was in the classic Girling style off an old Land Rover. The only downside was it took some effort to operate and tiring in traffic!! I've reverted back to standard.

strat24v
04-04-2017, 14:04
Is the clutch too light or are you not getting enough travel?
If it's a travel issue, little you can do bar fit a different pedal assembly.

Strat Fan
04-04-2017, 14:08
Is the clutch too light or are you not getting enough travel?
If it's a travel issue, little you can do bar fit a different pedal assembly.

Can you alter the ratio on the standard pedal by moving the point where the master cylinder connects?

Phil would a 7/8" cylinder not suffice?

Bernard
04-04-2017, 15:06
Craig / John

Yes the travel is insufficient with a 19.05 dia piston

Also the master cylinder is right up underneath the dash..... a slight GIT to get at

The point where the cylinder connects is all welded up..... so I am trying to boge it up along the least line of resistance !!!

7/8" may suffice..... but I think a 1" would suffice even more !.....even if I end up with one leg like Schwarzenegger !

Got this one from Rally Designs on the way....... I will have the Grinder and hammer ready for when it arrives !!

Thanks for your inputs

Bernard
17-04-2017, 14:49
Next time we meet Craig...... Please call me a twat......I fitted the 1" master cylinder and even Schwarzenegger would struggle to push it !!.... I will go shopping for a 7/8" .......

i need a lesson in clutch ratios and lever distances...

LM mic
17-04-2017, 16:26
Phil
I will be happy to swap a lesson of calculating using the formulas described on the note with a pizza next week !! the day will be yours ....... The restaurant is already well known ;)
But first please you have to read and reread 100 times this note ......
Concentrate your reading on pages 6/7/8

https://www.epsic.ch/phocadownload/BT/Mecanique/Entrainement,%20embrayage%20et%20b.v.%20mecanique.pdf

If any probleme with language just drop me a call :rolleyes:

Strat Fan
17-04-2017, 21:40
13/16" also available.....

turbonutter
17-04-2017, 22:03
Next time we meet Craig...... Please call me a twat......I fitted the 1" master cylinder and even Schwarzenegger would struggle to push it !!.... I will go shopping for a 7/8" .......

Reading back the earlier posts, the problem was lack of travel, so 7/8" would be the way to go, 1" is a bigger piston, so will reduce the travel...... think you may have your calculator upside down ;)

strat24v
18-04-2017, 08:26

You need a lesson in pedal box fitting! Get hacking at that front bulkhead and fit a tilton or wilwood assembly and don't cut the pedals shorter or you are back to square one.

Bernard
18-04-2017, 08:28
That did cross my mind... just want to get her mobile as quick as I can.... may be a summer job ?

You need a lesson in pedal box fitting! Get hacking at that front bulkhead and fit a tilton or wilwood assembly and don't cut the pedals shorter or you are back to square one.

Lancialulu
18-04-2017, 13:36
Not sure what the problem is? Is Nellie a Hawk and powerplant a 164 v6 12v? This is my config running original clutch master cylinder (X1/9) into 164 12v slave seems to work.

ProtoTipo
18-04-2017, 14:45
Not sure what the problem is? Is Nellie a Hawk and powerplant a 164 v6 12v?

12v to 24v conversion Tim:
http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/3769-Nellie-s-transplant-begins?

Phil,
Can you re-engineer the ratio on the clutch/slave/lever end, and leave the tricky inaccesible pedal/master cylinder well alone?
Assuming the pedal end is healthy and functioning ok, that is?

Bernard
18-04-2017, 14:52
12v to 24v conversion Tim:
http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/3769-Nellie-s-transplant-begins?

Phil,
Can you re-engineer the ratio on the clutch/slave/lever end, and leave the tricky inaccesible pedal/master cylinder well alone?
Assuming the pedal end is healthy and functioning ok, that is?

Mmmmmmmmm... its a bit late for that Chris....I've had mi grinder out !!..... Oooohhhhheeerrrr

Bernard
28-04-2017, 15:05
Update... I have a clutch !....the problem appears to be the push rod between the slave cylinder and the clutch lever arm being too short !.... I have a 166 six speed gearbox with a DMF, a Tilton 7/8" MC, I am using the LB selector system, in doing this you need to use a 156 slave cylinder mounting bracket....everything looks good so far. But what I didn't notice was when installing the slave cylinder the push rod did not go very far into the slave cylinder thus it didn't have full travel...... So I made a longer push rod (about 15mm longer) fitted it all up and I now have enough travel to disengage the clutch.

hope someone finds this useful in the future...... Almost threw the towel in...

So took Nellie for a run and found that the engine loses throttle at 2000rpm...... Did manage to select all six gears tho

getting there... Slowly

Phil