PDA

View Full Version : Square Hole Drill

turbonutter
13-12-2011, 01:05
Just when you thought you had all the tools - you come across something you don't have.

A square hole drill - quite amazing.......

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j446/turbonutter_neil/?action=view&current=SquareHoleDrill-bit.mp4

Nigel
13-12-2011, 05:44
I don't know if I can find any links but at my last company in the UK, I had a tool that could bore internal and external :- square, hex and "D" profiles ( or any shape needed) just by changing an internal cam. (I have a need for one of these tools to bore some hydraulic pump profiles for deep sea stuff! ) It was made by a english company called "microbore" - but I believe that they are not around anymore!
Thanks for the link - maybe they can make something that will work for me???
( If anyone thought Aerospace machining was hard - try "Deep Sea Oil Field" - same "exact tolerances" BUT with more difficult to machine metals!!!)

Allora#2
13-12-2011, 08:39
Hi,

yes quite amazing square hole, but who need a square hole? there are not square screws! or?

Enzo :confused:

tipo158
13-12-2011, 14:27
Don't think it would work in a hand drill. As for square bolts, a carage bolt has a square part at the head end to hold the bolt in place in place while tightening.

Corky

The Slug
13-12-2011, 16:02
As for square bolts, a carage bolt has a square part at the head end to hold the bolt in place in place while tightening.

Corky

They work great for holding the bonnet and boot on (hood and trunk to you across the pond)

john
13-12-2011, 19:08
a carage bolt has a square part at the head end

Please tell us you don't know that from working in the Aeroplane industry......!!

StruanR
13-12-2011, 19:48
I've got a box of drills like that .... drill all sorts of shaped holes ... :confused:

tipo158
13-12-2011, 20:06
Please tell us you don't know that from working in the Aeroplane industry......!!

So, would it make a difference as to which airplane you fly in the future??? Beside being a retired engineer from Boeing, I play around with carpentry, in fact I built the work shop where I am putting my kit together. To set you mind at ease, we didn't use carage bolt on the modern airplanes.

john
13-12-2011, 21:56
I don't think I've ever flown in any other passenger plane than a Boeing, so I'm mighty relieved to hear that!
Maybe you have to go back to the Wright's to find a carage bolt?
I've seen carage bolts on a Stratos replica, but I won't say where.....

Cadami
13-12-2011, 23:55
I've got a box of drills like that .... drill all sorts of shaped holes ... :confused:
Ditto.... mine are "screwfix" specials

Jeff
14-12-2011, 13:45

Bet you didn't need any special cams to make that happen either :D

StruanR
14-12-2011, 20:03
No don't need any special cams, blunt broken drills do any shape you want, although not necessarily in any predictable fashion...:rolleyes: