PDA

View Full Version : Website issues

The Slug
19-06-2017, 12:01
Hello All,

Currently as you know we have issues on the site, these have taken some time to fix, least I hope they are now?

The first one was the original site I bought some 5 years ago when the Supersite went offline was due to expire so had to be moved to our current supplier, that meant the site was going to be down for some 48hrs whilst the names, and server's etc were moved over. no problem.....

I then found out that all the e-mails that we use with xxxx@stratosec.com would no longer work so would have to be re-created, I will get to the rest of the committee when I know its all working.

Then I'm told we need to upgrade the site for safety reasons to the latest version of vbBulletin we own, that's when the issues became larger.

The main issue in a nutshell was, we have become to big for the current SQL Database and this needed to be upgraded, along with the version of PHP. (None of it makes any sense I know) the PHP is easy and I can do that.
The issue is with the SQL Database, the old one is now so large I cannot upload it to the new DB except by learning how to script it, and I have never done any of that, its like a foreign language and that takes time to learn.

Well with a crash course, Crash being the word, I have now moved us to a new Database running the latest stable version of PHP.

It might mean the site runs that bit faster as well, and hopefully no down time for a bit!

So Sorry for the delay but we had no choice in the matter, it had to be done.

tomsredstratos
20-06-2017, 23:43
Thanks....but I have no idea what you are talking about! SQL:confused: PHP:confused:

The Slug
20-06-2017, 23:46
Like I said "(None of it makes any sense I know)" but to some it might, and I'm just telling you all in case anyone was interested...

I'l take the thanks though Tom...lol

Guy Mayers
20-06-2017, 23:51
Hi Ian - it's at times like these that us mere mortals really appreciate all that you do behind the scenes for us!!

Thanks for sorting it all out.

Guy

ChrisCar6
21-06-2017, 01:02
Thank you and well done Ian, whatever it was you've done!

Bernard
21-06-2017, 08:05
Cheers Ian

.......................... not too sure about your new avatar tho' !!!!!!!!!!!..........LOL

STR_Strat
21-06-2017, 08:06
Cheers Ian, never realised how often I visited the site until it was down:eek:

Griff
21-06-2017, 08:09
All this electrickery stuff, abracadabra.........., well done Ian, all so us mere mortals can stay in touch

ProtoTipo
21-06-2017, 08:22
Thanks....but I have no idea what you are talking about! SQL:confused: PHP:confused:

Tom, you'll be telling me you don't know what server side script is next?

They tried to teach me this stuff at York College, but to be honest, not a lot of it got into my head, and none of it stayed there.
'Something to do with 'old dogs' etc.?

ProtoTipo
21-06-2017, 08:24
Thanks very much for taking the time Ian.

A couple of days off-line isn't such a hardship.

LM mic
21-06-2017, 08:54
Thanks for your hard work Ian

note that using the link "see more on the new's page for watching leigh last post doesn't work yet ?
or it's only me ?

john
21-06-2017, 10:52
Ian,
as always, above and beyond the call of duty!
Thanks. I feel life is hopeless when I can't see the forum!

And Wow! It is quicker!

The Slug
21-06-2017, 11:05
Cheers Ian

.......................... not too sure about your new avatar tho' !!!!!!!!!!!..........LOL

Takes your mind of the issues of the day...lol

The Slug
21-06-2017, 11:07
Thanks for your hard work Ian

note that using the link "see more on the new's page for watching leigh last post doesn't work yet ?
or it's only me ?

Yes Leigh was an odd one, not sure why his did not work but the others did, as I say we may get the odd gremlin..

StruanR
21-06-2017, 12:31
Thank you Ian, what an effort, much appreciated!:rolleyes:
Struan

Birdman
21-06-2017, 12:54
Hi Ian

I realise I haven’t as yet introduced myself to the forums. But I also wish to say many thanks for your hard work, time and effort you’ve invested into maintaining this great website. A lot of people (unknowingly) do not realise the effort and related stresses when the smallest issues arise more so when moving a whole site to a new provider, new operating system and software versions.

Keep up the good work, it's appreciated.

mel lewis
21-06-2017, 13:50
Hi Ian

I realise I haven’t as yet introduced myself to the forums. But I also wish to say many thanks for your hard work, time and effort you’ve invested into maintaining this great website. A lot of people (unknowingly) do not realise the effort and related stresses when the smallest issues arise more so when moving a whole site to a new provider, new operating system and software versions.

Keep up the good work, it's appreciated.

VERY WELL said Sir. Many people don't realise the work required, and how far THANK YOU will go.

THANK YOU Ian your a Star,

turbonutter
21-06-2017, 16:40
Thanks Ian for all the work you do keeping the forum up and running !!!

westonTB
21-06-2017, 22:15
Thank you Ian, this club is excellent and for those of us on first builds the forum makes life a lot easier.

Cheers, Tim.

Jeff
21-06-2017, 23:03
Just like to add my appreciation as well Ian. I do know what can go wrong with even the simplest of changes and changes to a website like this a rarely simple.

Very well done.

LPH_UK
21-06-2017, 23:19
Another appreciative member here too.

Thanks to all involved with keeping the site and club up and running.

ah_sprite
22-06-2017, 00:21

Ditto!

Rotor1
22-06-2017, 09:42

Thanks as well Ian!
I have been missing it for the couple of days! Keep up the superb work! It is deeply appreciated.

Henry

Lancialulu
22-06-2017, 16:10
Thanks Ian - these are not easy tasks!!! Enjoy a break away from it.

When you have a mo is there a way to link back the website and the forum when you are in the forum??? Or can I not see the wood from the trees??

The Slug
22-06-2017, 16:31
Yes it can and does, I have added a TAB at the top of the screen now by Join that states "Website" click that and it will take you to the web site.

On the Web Site if you click on "Join the Forum" it takes you to the forum.

Hope that helps.

Fingers
23-06-2017, 09:08
Yeah, thanks very much Ian, having the site down for a couple of days made me realise just how much I check it.

Griff
23-06-2017, 18:36
Ian,
I have noticed (and others have commented) that you can only post pictures in 'portrait' anything submitted in 'landscape' gets turned through 90 degrees and appears on the forum in portrait, is that something we could resolve/make more flexible?
Griff

The Slug
23-06-2017, 22:20
Griff here is your answer from vbulletin:

"That's an iphone issue. If you take a photo with the phone in the "portrait" postion, the photo is actually taken as landscape so it appears the wrong way round when attached in its raw form to something like a forum, or in GMail."

"The issue is not the forum software, the issue are the phones taking the pictures and only saving orientation data instead of actually rotating the picture correctly in the first place."