PDA

View Full Version : NORTHERN RUN/DRIVE-OUT - SUN 1st OCT

Normb666
25-08-2017, 22:38
Guys 'n' Gals (gotta stop saying that in case anyone thinks I've got some weird Jimmy Savile-type thing going on...),

after the success of the Cumbria do last weekend, here's notice of the next driving event I'm (loosely) organizing. This is a one-day thing - no stopover or hotel, just a simple run on some fab northern roads. Plan is to meet at DEVIL'S BRIDGE, KIRKBY LONSDALE, just off the A65 - it's the popular biker meeting place and there's a great burger/butty van that dishes up top filled barms (egg, bacon, sausage, etc) plus tea and coffee in proper mugs.
We're aiming to meet at 10 for a 10:30 start, and the distance will be...erm...actually I dunno, cos I've not sorted a route yet, but it's usually 110, 120 miles-ish. There'll be a coupla stops chucked in for refreshment and regrouping, and the whole thing will be as informal as I can get it :)

Other non-Stratosey peeps will be coming, so it doesn't matter what you drive, as long as you're prepared to be laughed at (a guy came in a Nissan Micra on the Cumbria run, and he did OK - in fact a few asked me later if it was tweaked....it isn't, you just need to try harder, haha!)

So. If you fancy a wee trip around Da Norf, insult your calendars and see if you can get a pass-out (or even better, bring t'other half along - it's not unknown for us to pop into a small chocolate factory en route....NOW you're interested, aren't ya!), and then stick yer name on here so I know who's coming and I can sort out suitably-sized groupings on the road.

Oh, and just so's you know, this'll be the last one I'll be organizing this year - the next one will be early May, so if you like the idea but miss this one, you've got a bit of a wait till the next!

I'll be posting the route instructions on 'ere once I've worked out where we're going, cos as you all know after the last gig, I'm just making most of this up as I go along....

Laters, Taters!

The (Social) Norm :cool:

Bernard
26-08-2017, 19:09
Soz Norm.....weel Av ta gi this un a miss

see ya next time
Phil and Helen

Normb666
26-08-2017, 23:06
No worries Phil - I didn't expect anyone from your neck of the woods to be up for this one with it being a one-day effort....it'd make it a 500-mile day! Might get a few of the northern peeps interested though - we'll see.

On a separate topic, I believe they've come up with a new design for lobster creels based on the interior of your car after seeing the trouble I had getting out....and say Hello to Big H for us ;)

Martin Crikey
27-08-2017, 22:45
Think I would be up for a another day out. Some issues to sort out on car first maybe.

Normb666
28-08-2017, 21:21
Be good to see you again, Martin - as I said, haven't set a route yet but no prob with you peeling off at a suitable point so you can get home at a decent time!

Everyone else - it's no problem if you can't make it - I do these runs for a variable bunch of mates anyway, and so if any of you Forum guys fancy coming along, great! But it's also cool if not ;) (i.e. don't feel you have to attend to support a Forum activity!)

Normb666
05-09-2017, 19:38
Bit of an update - got a route in mind now, but need to ensure we'll be welcome at the stopoff point before I commit anything to print. Hopefully I can sort that this weekend!
I see in a different thread that Cheshire John is aiming to come along if his RHD->LHD conversion comes off in time. John, come anyway, doesn't have to be a Stratos! And Carol - the start is literally just down the road from your gaff - pop down for the start, even if you don't do the run!

We've got a fair selection this time - F-Type SVR, Exige V6, 911 Carrera x 3, Focus RS, coupla Boxsters... could even be an old Sierra Sapphire Cossie...

The Slug
06-09-2017, 16:54
Might be a battered x-Trail yet!

Normb666
06-09-2017, 18:39
Well luckily, Ian, Tim with the Micra can't make this one, so you could be the only Nissan. Unless we visit an airfield, and then there might be a Nissen Hut ;)

Normb666
11-09-2017, 21:34
Gang,

bit of a request - can I ask anyone who's even only thinking of coming on De Run to let me know please, even if you're not certain at this point? Reason being that I need to let the peeps know numbers at the stopoff point (it's not very big) so they can sort out space accordingly. I didn't get to go up and sort it out last weekend - forgot I was on call! But I'll deffo be doing it this coming weekend...
Post on here or PM me, either's fine.

Ta, and that

Norm

john
11-09-2017, 22:50
Frederic and I will not be able to make it Norm. Sorry to miss out again.

Normb666
12-09-2017, 21:22
Aw, shame...was hoping you'd have the car sorted in time. Ah well, next year? :( But thanks for letting me know, appreciated.

Normb666
25-09-2017, 20:53
Less than a week to go to the Big Gig (OK, maybe not that big...), and coming along so far from the SEC we've got a grand total of.... none! But there are 9 cars from Team Misanthrope (the "other gang"), so it's still going ahead. As I said before, this is the last run I'll be organizing for this year, with the next one being early May - so if you sort-of fancied it but were dithering over whether to come or not, and you miss out, you've got 7 months to wait...
Route is about 90 miles, going the "back way" from Kirkby Lonsdale to Kendal, and then (always a popular stretch) up the A6 to Penrith. Then it's east on the A66 to Keswick and a stop for eats/drinks, followed by the Whinlatter Pass to Cockermouth before we loop back to Keswick via Bothel (that's right, no "R" - it's a run out, no horizontal exercises!) on the A595. Finally, it's the A591 all the way through the Lake District passing Thirlmere, Grasmere, Rydal Water, etc. to Ambleside and then finishing at Bowness.

Has that whetted anyone's appetite? Anyone fancy being taken up the A6 (ooer, Matron)? Last chance.... ;)

john
26-09-2017, 17:59
I'm still tempted Norm because Frederic is not collecting his car this weekend. I missed getting it running just before my holidays but it could possibly be back in action by Sunday. Mind you I struggled all day today getting the wiper wiring correct! I'm seriously hoping I can fire it up tomorrow.

Normb666
27-09-2017, 09:12
Ey Up John, - I realise this could be The Shakedown Run You've Been Waiting For, but you can come in any old car if you just fancy a day out :) I'll keep my bits crossed you get it sorted in time though, so if I see you, great, and if not, c'est la vie... do you know where we're meeting? Easy enough to find, just off the A65 at Kirkby Lonsdale, park just opposite the biker meeting place (don't park in the bike park though - bikes only at weekends and the wardens are keen). I'll be at the burger/tea van next to the bridge (I didn't get this shape without effort, y'know) - if you're not there for 10:30 I'll assume you're not coming.

john
27-09-2017, 15:17
OK Norm. Yes I know it. it used to be a stopping point en route to Durham.
Pre M6!!!!

Normb666
27-09-2017, 20:33
Great, hope to see you there - I've got hard copies of the route but it gets a bit awkward on yer tod both reading and driving, so you'll be alright just following if that suits you better.

Griff
29-09-2017, 22:58
Norm, when you do the 'Cockermouth before we loop back to Keswick via Bothel' can I suggest that you pop into:-

https://www.lakesdistillery.com/

afternoon tea in the Bistro is 1st class

Normb666
01-10-2017, 20:42
Griff, ta fro the info on the distillery, but I'd already booked the stopoff at the Filling Station in Keswick. Might consider the L.D. if I get round that way again (although it looks a bit posh for people like us, haha!)

Anyway, 'twas a good run, with 7 cars turning up - 2 x Boxsters, 1 x 911 Carrera, 1 x Focus RS (new one), 1 x Focus ST, 1 x Audi S1 and a BMW 1-series that came down from Glasgow. None of you lot though, shame on ya! :-P
It was a bit wet and stormy, with visibility on the heights of the A6 before Shap down to 10 yards in the clouds. Didn't cause any probs though, as we soon dropped out and ran up to the A66 at Penrith. Then it was down the A66 to Keswick and a cuppa/burger for an hour, followed by the run up and over th Whinlatter Pass and into Cockermouth. Looped around via the A595 and the A591, but because of roadworks at Keswick we re-routed vis the A66 and the road through St John's in the Vale before picking up the A591 again at Thirlspot and a run down to Bowness, headign out vis the Lyth Valley, where we finished up at the Damson Dene for a couple of drinks before heading for home. Great time had by all, apart from the poor guy in the 1-series who got a 2" puncture on the A66...no spare and too big for the supplied repair kit, so BMW assist to the rescue with train tickets back to Glasgow while the motor got carted off to Carlisle.

So that's it for 2017, and the next do will be early May next year - plenty of time to think up excuses galore... ;) :)