PDA

View Full Version : Early Christmas present

Griff
18-12-2011, 21:24
After 3 weeks of waiting, this finally turned up from Italy (Via my next door neighbour) 1963 Lancia Fulvia Berlina hub cap, with the all important centre badge, currently grinning like Cheshire cat!!;)

ProtoTipo
19-12-2011, 11:36
Yep, S1 Fulvia hub cap badges are the same casting part as a Stratos front badge.

The only difference is the fastening:
Hub cap badges are riveted
Reproduction nose badges have studs and nuts*
The original Stratos nose badge has screws into the badge* (photo of the rear of an original Stratos part)

*As I understand it.

Griff
19-12-2011, 19:56
Yes, I thought that was the case, I'm going to drill & tap the rivets, but I may have to Loctite sleeves first.

ProtoTipo
19-12-2011, 20:45
I'm sure there'll be enough 'meat' where the rivets were to get something to grip.

I bonded a sheet of alloy with tapped holes onto the back of another metal badge.
That badge was originally a 1960s Lancia grille badge. Similar to the one that Andreas did a newsletter article on, only I kept the original ring part and just carefully ground the whole lot down to almost the right thickness. That one originally had a shield round the outside. (see photo)

Griff
19-12-2011, 23:30
many thanks for the replies, helped in jogging the little grey cells into action, 2nd photo gives me an idea, a single stud into a bonded plate that has a centered 20mm dia shoulder. The badge would then self centre into the 20mm hole in the front clam that would be the cable access if I decide to go with a front lamp pod at some stage in the future, but still sit flush with the external surface of the front clam.