PDA

View Full Version : What front end is this?

maxxfish
01-10-2017, 12:26
Does anyone know anything about this car? What front end is this, and is it available? Also, what color is this car it's definitely deeper/darker than all the shades of the Chardonette I've seen?

After some googling, I found this inconclusive info regarding the front end/airdam:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lancia-Stratos-Kit-Car-Front-Spoiler-/271955465414

http://www.racingsportscars.com/type/photo/Lancia/Stratos%20Corse.html

So it seems to be something from CAE/Corse? I'd LOVE to have it on the LB I just put a deposit on. LB's Lemans version is slightly similar, but I don't think I can get that front end on a regular wheelbase LB (LM mic can you confirm?).

And yes, to me that color is PERFECT, please let me know if you have any info!

David J
01-10-2017, 13:06
Max
Craig at LB already produces a chin spoiler for the Stratos all be it slightly different to the one in your pictures, a word of warning though the ground clearance at the front is somewhat compromised, I know from experience as the spoiler at the front of my car frequently grounds out.

David

john
01-10-2017, 14:35
Is that the ex Dennis McCann car originally in the US?

Strat Fan
01-10-2017, 15:16
[QUOTE=maxxfish;37179]Does anyone know anything about this car? What front end is this, and is it available?

After some googling, I found this inconclusive info regarding the front end/airdam:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lancia-Stratos-Kit-Car-Front-Spoiler-/271955465414

http://www.racingsportscars.com/type/photo/Lancia/Stratos%20Corse.html

So it seems to be something from CAE/Corse?
LB's Lemans version is slightly similar, but I don't think I can get that front end on a regular wheelbase LB .
12032[QUOTE]

The full spoiler front end is basically one that was developed for the tarmac/circuit racing Strato's and can be seen on the Marlboro car which won at the 1973 Tour de France. The first incarnation of this spoiler was crafted from aluminium & is rivetted onto the nose section which was present on the development cars which itself was different to the production front that we are all familiar with. Later versions were no doubt moulded in GRP but the aluminium version is still doing the rounds and was seen on the original Marlboro car at Goodwood a few years back.
Gerry's Marlboro Giro homage car has a nose section which is very similar to the original car, in this case it is a full GRP item.
The Corse front spoiler you show is unique to the red Corse GTO shown & was developed for that car, it does not replicate any original car.
The more common spoiler used on the standard car (replicas at least) is the chin spoiler to which David refers- A version of this can be seen on the Rino Fabbri original although this one has been blended all the way up into the wheel arch blisters. the replicas tend to be a bolt on piece which finishes at the body line.
The LB Le Mans nose is also inspired by the original Tour de France front end but this has a different arrangement on the brake ducts to better replicate the original Le Mans car.
The Le Mans front end will fit the standard LB car aswell as the LM but my personal though is that by having the full width nose section it makes the car look even shorter & emphasises how much the standard car rolls under at the sides.
Both the Tour de France car & the Le Mans car had additional bonnet louvres behind the headlight pods. These are not present on the dark blue car & also the lip for the wheel arch blisters has been lost when the additional arches have been glassed in.
As David rightfully points out the smaller chin spoiler is quite vulnerable during road use, the full race front end is perfect for track use but how it works in road trim is unknown to me. The front lip is however height adjustable & therefore can be replaced if damaged.

maxxfish
01-10-2017, 15:26

John, thanks, I just googled "Dennis McCann Lancia Stratos" and found this! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lancia-Stratos-Group-5-Giro-Nose-Bodywork-original-Lanicia-Fiberglass-part-/322646552353?nma=true&si=EbeTW3DqYUbczj55vi%252FTmjDMGHU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Strat Fan
01-10-2017, 15:41
Yep, & I reckon I know whose warehouse the eBay front end is in as well.
Is there any truth in the claim that this car was built from a Gartrac tub?

Stratie.fr
01-10-2017, 16:11
This Blue Stratos with french Plate is a Stradale refurbished and prepared as a Gp 4 with FIA HTP ... And has been sold 4 years ago in Brussels and seems to be used by the new owner in latest Monte Carlo rally without its front spoiler!

http://www.vdvgrant.be/en/lancia/stratos-gr4

maxxfish
02-10-2017, 01:17
The Le Mans front end will fit the standard LB car aswell as the LM but my personal though is that by having the full width nose section it makes the car look even shorter & emphasises how much the standard car rolls under at the sides.
Both the Tour de France car & the Le Mans car had additional bonnet louvres behind the headlight pods. These are not present on the dark blue car & also the lip for the wheel arch blisters has been lost when the additional arches have been glassed in.
As David rightfully points out the smaller chin spoiler is quite vulnerable during road use, the full race front end is perfect for track use but how it works in road trim is unknown to me. The front lip is however height adjustable & therefore can be replaced if damaged.

Strat Fan, you are completely correct, now that I've seen those pictures of this car from the Belgian site, this front end does make the car look even more like a chode.

These pictures tell the tale, the other pictures of the car in front of the rock wall are definitely professional, and in those pics the wheels are always turned, which hides some of the issues with the look:

maxxfish
03-10-2017, 11:32
OK, one more front end question. I see that Lister Bell offers an alternative bonnet vent, looks like a GT40 Mk2, it's a single nostril opening. See pics below. Was this ever on any of the real Stratos'? Thanks, Max

Stratie.fr
03-10-2017, 12:15
I have never seen this kind of opening nostril bonnet on original cars!
Indeed that one looks like a GT 40 ...but for my opinion the original bonnet Louvre looks more nice and maybe more convenient to put a spare wheel or other stuffs inside !!

Lancialulu
03-10-2017, 12:53
I have never seen this kind of opening nostril bonnet on original cars!
Indeed that one looks like a GT 40 ...but for my opinion the original bonnet Louvre seems nicer and maybe more convenient to put a spare wheel or other stuffs inside !!Yes but I bet that the cabin is a lot cooler without the hot air from the radiator ramming the front bulkhead and finding ways into the cabin.... Nice for this time of year though!

strat24v
03-10-2017, 13:32
The extractor is of listerbell origin. Using it should see an improvement in cooling. It's performance orientated rather than replication orientated.

john
03-10-2017, 13:36
There is that Tim, and with better heat transference comes better all round cooling potential.
I don't want to second guess Craig's initial thinking on this, I suspect it started because the bodywork he was working on at the time was not really intended to be original in appearance but of course he went on to offer the original louvre styles too.
Neil recognized the potential for better cooling in selecting this ducted front end for his big turbo car.

Stratie.fr
03-10-2017, 14:26
For sure it's a good idea for cooling but the effectiveness does not always win the aesthetic!
I like this extractor on GT 40 but I'm not convinced for Stratos ...or you have to call it a Stratos GT 40...lol!!!

Strat Fan
03-10-2017, 18:36
...but for my opinion the original bonnet Louvre looks more nice and maybe more convenient to put a spare wheel or other stuffs inside !!

This being the original one?:rolleyes:
Which I would imagine could be quite efficient for cooling especially if fitted with a deflector under the nose to keep heat from the bulkhead.

strat24v
03-10-2017, 19:15
A man with a performance oriented mind would put a wing in that area!

Stratie.fr
03-10-2017, 20:24
This being the original one?:rolleyes:
Which I would imagine could be quite efficient for cooling especially if fitted with a deflector under the nose to keep heat from the bulkhead.

Exactly Craig!
I have no idea why the Italian engineers did not go in that way and modified the Prototipo original bonnet?!

Guy Mayers
03-10-2017, 21:07
Love this front end, notice the side air intakes on the rear clip differ too, door handles as well. Glad they changed the wiper set up but the wind down windows look like they give more ventilation than the pivoted ones we've all got now!

ProtoTipo
04-10-2017, 07:51

Like this Chris Smith built Hawk? ;)

Strat Fan
04-10-2017, 07:58
Like this Chris Smith built Hawk? ;)

Just like that Chris, a car which looks somewhat familiar.

ProtoTipo
04-10-2017, 12:38
Just like that Chris, a car which looks somewhat familiar.

I'm glad Marcus (who has it now) hasn't converted it to yet another group 4 rally replica.

Marcus' friend Bernd took a really good plan view photo of it. I drew up the Prototype Stratos HF logo and we made it into a poster.

Marcolino
04-10-2017, 20:38
Chris, i am glad too we did not convert it ;-)

Last Saturday, Black Forest near Sasbachwalden, direction towards French Border ....

Stratie.fr
04-10-2017, 21:51
I like it very much just as well and that would be a pity to convert it...
Hope to see it in flesh sooner or later!

ProtoTipo
05-10-2017, 07:38
Chris, i am glad too we did not convert it ;-)

Last Saturday, Black Forest near Sasbachwalden, direction towards French Border ....

'Great photo Marcus. A nice part of the world?

Stratos Fear
05-10-2017, 22:18
Marcus' friend Bernd took a really good plan view photo of it. I drew up the Prototype Stratos HF logo and we made it into a poster.

Is this photo still available plus any others of this car for possible use in the 2018 calendar? (must be high definition)

Thanks

Peter

Marcolino
06-10-2017, 13:38
'Great photo Marcus. A nice part of the world?

Yes Chris, of course a nice part of the world ... like so many other ones ;-)

Stratie.fr
29-11-2017, 08:55
Remembering this thread we chatted recently with Bernard Darniche about front end and this 1977 Tour auto winner car...one of his favorite car with this front end for track stage...here shot on Castellet circuit!

I like this one and would like to get one similar front end...an idea for a next build!

GrahamH
04-12-2017, 13:38
Its the Giro front end. Gerry makes them, not cheap!. More top louvres above the headlights. Almost the same as the le-mans cars ran but the opening next to the indicator is slightly too small to fit the same lights the Le-mans cars had fitted. I'm lucky enough to have both spec front ends. The Giro is much much lighter! I will be using this one for hill climbs.

Stratie.fr
04-12-2017, 14:07
Its the Giro front end. Gerry makes them, not cheap!. More top louvres above the headlights. Almost the same as the le-mans cars ran but the opening next to the indicator is slightly too small to fit the same lights the Le-mans cars had fitted. I'm lucky enough to have both spec front ends. The Giro is much much lighter! I will be using this one for hill climbs.

Thank you for this helpful explanation...Have you any pics of your car's front end which it would be interesting to see!

GrahamH
07-12-2017, 13:36
Here's my car with the Giro front end on

Stratie.fr
07-12-2017, 15:52
Looks fantastic ! Thanks :)

john
07-12-2017, 17:26
Definitely looks the business that does Graham. Nice one.

ProtoTipo
08-12-2017, 07:55
Those lamps on the Chardonnet TDF car?
I think they might be Vespa:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/72/c1/bc/72c1bcccc78aca7b06ac1538e8987d38.jpg

Stratie.fr
08-12-2017, 09:48
Those lamps on the Chardonnet TDF car?
I think they might be Vespa:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/72/c1/bc/72c1bcccc78aca7b06ac1538e8987d38.jpg

Right Chris!
It looks like Vespa one not as usual Carello!
The same were on Marlboro Giro car...Don't know why they used them...maybe more powerfull light than other one, without lamp pod they needed them on night stages and late arrivals on tracks?!

ProtoTipo
08-12-2017, 10:19
Right Chris!
It looks like Vespa one not as usual Carello!
The same were on Marlboro Giro car...Don't know why they used them...maybe more powerfull light than other one, without lamp pod they needed them on night stages and late arrivals on tracks?!

Yes Frederic, it seems to be a thing with the track event cars? Normal headlamps would give wind resistance.
'Didn't realise the 'Vespa' lights were on the Giro car too.

Stratos Fear
08-12-2017, 10:37
When I saw you mention Vespa - I laughed out loud , not imagining scooter lights on a Stratos but having seen the photo and realised you were probably right I thought what a strange and fascinating world the Stratos world is !! Who would have thought it ? - and what a fount of wisdom and strange facts and knowledge we have within our membership base !! Long-live SEC !

LM mic
08-12-2017, 11:00
When I saw you mention Vespa - I laughed out loud , not imagining scooter lights on a Stratos but having seen the photo and realised you were probably right I thought what a strange and fascinating world the Stratos world is !! Who would have thought it ? - and what a fount of wisdom and strange facts and knowledge we have within our membership base !! Long-live SEC !

Others similar front ends where "lightned" quite strangly ( ugly !!! )
with fiat 126 headlight or even hudge Renault 12 headlights !!!!

GrahamH
08-12-2017, 13:26
yes I think the Aseptygol Le-Mans cars had fiat 126 lights. Tried these on Mine but dont fit so they must have a slightly different moulded cavity height. Lights would be for low drag for sure.