PDA

View Full Version : North Yorkshire Moors Drive June 8 - 9 June

David J
24-10-2017, 20:05
Would anyone be interested in a NYM Drive, I have made some enquiries regarding hotels for stopping on Friday if required and for Saturday night on the basis of bed breakfast and evening meal.Unfortunately Theo availability of suitable hotels is a bit thin on the ground , however I have made contact with the Raven Hall Hotel at Ravenscar they have given me their best price of £189/ night, their standard rate is £220.

At the moment I am just guaging who would be interested in the drive which would take place on Saturday and would be 150 miles or so.

If there is enough interest I will get the ball moving.

David

Normb666
24-10-2017, 22:15
Hiya David, - yeah, go on, put me down (I mean for the event, not tell me I'm rubbish). Is that hotel price for a room, i.e. 2 people? Know what you mean about places being a bit few and far between - everyone's heading for Whitby or Scarborough...

ah_sprite
24-10-2017, 23:03
Yep, Sara and I would definitely be up for this. Thanks for organising!

David J
25-10-2017, 00:26
Norm

The hotel price is for 2 people, I would suggest the Friday night would be an option for people who will have to travel a fair way to get get to the hotel. To answer your question, there is plenty of accommodation in both Whitby and Scarborough, however a lot of them are not really suitable with on street parking. I have looked and got prices from several hotels, most were more expensive than the Raven Hall and at least they were prepared to offer a discount.

The hotel is situated on the top of the cliffs with panoramic views over Robin Hoods Bay.
It would be good to get to an idea of who will want a room for both Friday and Saturday or just Saturday night.

David
The Hotel is suituated at the top of the cliffs with panoramic views across to Robin Hoods Bay

Bernard
25-10-2017, 08:28
Hi David

I suspect the current Mrs Dolby will be up for this.... we went around 8th July this year and are going back between Christmas and New Year for 3 nights.... we generally get up there at least once a year

The views up towards Robin Hoods Bay from Raven Hall are indeed stunning (if you have the weather !).. Helen's parents lived near Helmsley for a few years so she loves it up there.... great classic car showroom at Thornton le Dale as well

Cheers

Phil

teflonbiker
26-10-2017, 14:33
Hi David probably up for the Saturday night as Ravenscar is just down the road from us, will confirm shortly.
John.

David J
27-10-2017, 21:19
Just a quick update on the enquiries so far Friday and Saturday stop over
Richard & Sarah
David & Pat
Norm & Leah
Phil & Helen
Robin & Carol

Saturday night only
John + 1

I forgot to mention that the room could be upgraded to a sea view for £10.

I should be grateful if every one could confirm enquiries above are correct so that I can get back to the hotel and firm up the booking.

If anyone else is interested please let me know ASAP, should any body wish to come along for the Saturday Drive only (no stop over) you are very welcome .

David

Bernard
28-10-2017, 09:50
Yes that's ok with us.....dare say H would like a sea view please
Cheers
Phil and Helen

Normb666
29-10-2017, 18:04
Yep, me too - was thinking of taking the cheapskate option and kipping in the motor in the car park, but go on, we'll have the room and make merry with everyone else. Hey, they don't call me the Social Norm for nothin' (actually ,they don't call me that at all...)

David J
01-11-2017, 15:53
I have now received conformation from hotel on the following bookings.

Friday and Saturday night Reservation No 118983

David & Pat twin room with sea view
Robin & Carol twin room with sea view
Phil & Helen double room with sea view
Norm & Leah double room standard no request for sea view
Ian & Jayne twin room standard
Richard & Sarah double room standard no request for sea view

Saturday night only Reservation No 118984

John + 1 double room standard no sea view requested.

Should anyone wish to change their room to add a sea view etc please let me know.

In order to secure the room bookings the hotel require a deposit of £113 to be paid for each room before the 8 Dec 2017.
Therefore I should be grateful if each party could ring the hotel quoting the relevant reservation number and pay the deposit, telephone 01723 870353.

David

Bernard
01-11-2017, 18:40
Deposit paid

David J
01-11-2017, 19:56
Me too

Bernard
01-11-2017, 21:04
Me too

Just one question David..... How will Leah get the deposit money out of Norm's wallet??

Normb666
01-11-2017, 23:09
Oh Ha Bl**dy Ha, if you think I'm leaving my wallet anywhere it can be accessed by the Big L you must be crackers - it's in a sealed vault, resting at the centre of a pentacle, and warded with spells, charms and several demons from the netherworld. Probably a tad excessive for something that only contains £4.56 in loose change, a Morrisons loyalty card and 5 ounces of fluff, but you just can't be too careful, can ya?

Bernard
02-11-2017, 07:59
Oh Ha Bl**dy Ha, if you think I'm leaving my wallet anywhere it can be accessed by the Big L you must be crackers - it's in a sealed vault, resting at the centre of a pentacle, and warded with spells, charms and several demons from the netherworld. Probably a tad excessive for something that only contains £4.56 in loose change, a Morrisons loyalty card and 5 ounces of fluff, but you just can't be too careful, can ya?

LOL LOL

The Slug
06-11-2017, 17:24
Deposit paid.

teflonbiker
18-11-2017, 11:58
Deposit paid for the Saturday night for Lynda and i.

Normb666
19-11-2017, 17:18
After a titanic battle involving the hosts of Heaven and Hell, in which the full panoply of the forces of light and darkness were brought to bear, The Wallet was finally opened...the world shook and the universe trembled as the cryptic words were spoken and the numbers entered, and now Nevermore Hall (or whatever it was that the raven quoth) has another entry in the Book of Doom. Mwahahahahaaaaa, etc.

David, if you're wondering what that was all about, don't fret - it's not the End of Days just yet...merely left the deposit with the hotel :)

- Doctor Strangely Strange (but oddly Norman...I mean, Normal)

David J
19-11-2017, 18:25
Norm

It would appear that you have been succeeded in your battle with the harpies and demons that protect the opening of your wallet, may the peace now be with you.

David

The Slug
20-11-2017, 16:38
Yes that rash can be a killer!!

David J
03-12-2017, 16:43
Just a quick reminder for any one that is going to stop over at the Ravenhall Hotel, the room deposit requires paying by this Friday the 8 December. Please see previous post for the hotel contact details etc.

David

ah_sprite
03-12-2017, 17:31
Well reminded, David! Have just phoned and paid the deposit for myself and Sara, for the Friday and Saturday nights.

Regards
Richard

David J
30-05-2018, 13:19
Please find attached the route log for the Moors Drive ( please print off a copy to bring with you). Anyone who wishes to come along for the drive on Saturday is welcome. (please let me know). We are setting off from Ravenhall Hotel around 9.30am.

For Sunday, I am planning to drive to Scarborough via the Marine Drive, take in a couple of laps Olivers Mount. There are two classic car garages in the area worth a visit, Mathewsons at Thornton le Dale and the Classic and Sportscar Centre Corner Farm, West Knapton and to round the day off we will call in to Rallysport Developments Malton to see the reborn Fiat 131 Group 4 Abarth.

David

Normb666
30-05-2018, 14:31
Thanks David, incredibly detailed route there - how could anyone possibly go wrong?? (...Famous Last Words...) I've now got a week-and-a-half to teach Leah how to read...;)

The bit I'm really looking forward to, is spotting the Homepride Flour Graders in their "flour"escent tabards. Haha, only kidding, couldn't resist :) :)

- Norm the Pedantic

Bernard
30-05-2018, 15:03
Please find attached the route log for the Moors Drive ( please print off a copy to bring with you). Anyone who wishes to come along for the drive on Saturday is welcome. (please let me know). We are setting off from Ravenhall Hotel around 9.30am.

For Sunday, I am planning to drive to Scarborough via the Marine Drive, take in a couple of laps Olivers Mount. There are two classic car garages in the area worth a visit, Mathewsons at Thornton le Dale and the Classic and Sportscar Centre Corner Farm, West Knapton and to round the day off we will call in to Rallysport Developments Malton to see the reborn Fiat 131 Group 4 Abarth.

David

Looks good David !.... you have put some effort in ... Thanks Phil

Bernard
30-05-2018, 15:06
I've now got a week-and-a-half to teach Leah how to read...;)

Now there's someone who likes to live on the edge !...... don't worry Norm the bandages will be off in time for the tour !

Normb666
30-05-2018, 20:55
If not we could do a fancy dress drive - I'll be the Mummy, Leah will be the Hulk...you won't like her when she's angry... ;)

Bernard
01-06-2018, 20:43
Well..... This time next week we should be enjoying a beer .. Good food and good company.......... And Norm being put in his place by Leah !!!!!!..... Can't wait

David J
01-06-2018, 20:56
What with Norm’s bandages and the hulk it it could be an entertaining weekend!!

Normb666
02-06-2018, 10:16
I was thinking if I came ready-wrapped in the bandages, it'd save a trip to A & E

David J
04-06-2018, 19:31
Just a quick update on the weekend, the evening meal on both nights has been booked for 7.30pm.

Can I also recommend that anyone coming from the south via the A64 around York, try and get through the Hopgrove roundabout before 5.00pm. On Friday nights it can get very busy resulting in stationary and slow moving traffic heading for Scarborough.

David

Normb666
04-06-2018, 20:22
Thanks for that - was planning on leaving here about 2pm. It's supposedly a 3-hour drive so I'll be past York well before 5....I hope...!!! Suppose an alternative is past Leeds, up the A1(M) to Thirsk and then the A170 East to avoid the A64...

David J
04-06-2018, 20:43
You should be ok, hopefully the traffic will not be too bad as the kids are back to school, if it had been last Friday it would have been a different story.

ah_sprite
04-06-2018, 22:06
I think we'll be there early on the Friday - Sara has heard there's a pool and sauna, and she wants to make the most of it this time round!

Bernard
05-06-2018, 07:42
Hopefully we should be there by mid / late afternoon...

carol
05-06-2018, 10:10
We hope to get there for the middle of the afternoon.

Anyone going via Blumbber Houses, the road is still closed due to the landslide last week.

Skelly
05-06-2018, 11:12
Sorry David won't be able to make it on the day (discussed at Stoneleigh) fitting of new front calipers taking longer than anticipated.
Hope weather stays sunny for you and will see you in France.

David J
05-06-2018, 14:21
Good luck with your calipers Alan, if you did happen to get your brakes sorted, please feel free to join us. If not we will meet up in France.

Two-Eight-Six
05-06-2018, 16:01

David

What time in the afternoon on Sunday do you think you'd be at RSR Malton, David?

(On basis I might be able to get across for that one, and the 131 such an interesting exhibit....)

David J
05-06-2018, 22:23
Clive
The timings on Sunday are not set in stone, however we are hoping to get to RSR Malton for about 2.00pm. Where abouts are you coming from?

David

Two-Eight-Six
06-06-2018, 13:34
From York and the A64, I guess. (Know Malton and the location).

Guy Mayers
06-06-2018, 13:51
I drove over to Scarborough to meet David a couple of weeks ago. Watch yourselves on the A64 between York and Scarborough, we saw a few speed camera vans out, a couple of them were at the ends of the dual carriageway sections to catch you getting ahead of the slower cars....
Have a great weekend all!
Guy

ProtoTipo
09-06-2018, 15:40
'Just met up with the NYM run at Blakey Pub for lunch.
'Stratos look great on the moor tops in the sunshine.

westonTB
09-06-2018, 16:08
Have a brilliant time everyone, wish I could be there, too tied up battling with integrale!!! I will win!!!? , the Hawk needs me!
Tim.

Normb666
10-06-2018, 16:02
Well what a great weekend! Big Ta to David and Pat for organizing it all. Loads of places I'd never been, including the Cockayne Loop (closely followed by the Heroin Curve and the Ecstasy Straight), the hotel was great, the weather held up and even the people were nice. Who'd'a thought? ;)

Didn't get any pics, too busy having a good time, but a good turn-out, cars looked ace, people looked...well, you can guess...

Big Boots to fill now with the coming August weekend! Can I pull it off?? Who can say??? Who cares??? Watch this space....

ah_sprite
10-06-2018, 19:52
Thanks David and Pat for organising a cracking weekend! Both Sara and I had a great time. The hotel was great, as was the company.

A really well planned route, with just the right amount of stops throughout the day at places of interest. For those of you that couldn't stick around on Sunday, you missed some nice machinery at the various places we went to!

Have attached a few pics taken on my phone over the weekend.

Perhaps next time I'll be in a Stratos-shaped car, instead of the lump of agricultural BMC rubbish :cool:

The view from the hotel was fantastic!

Bernard
10-06-2018, 22:17
A huge thank you to David and Pat for organising a fabulous weekend in every aspect... We echo all the previous comments.. Also thanks to everyone who come along for your great company.
Brilliant weekend
cheers
phil and helen

john butts
10-06-2018, 22:59
Fantastic weekend, congratulations to David for a great tour lovely hotel great weather &a fantastic company, a lot of time &work put in to the event &it shows, looking forward to the next one ,John&Carol .

Longtimefan
11-06-2018, 01:32
David & Pat, thank you for organising such a supurb weekend. Great location, great tour that showed us the fantastic North Yorkshire Moors in all their glory, we never noticed the 180 odd miles that we did, our attention was held throughout due to David's unrivalled local knowledge, and the great company of like minded people.

Thank you to all those who were concerned, but I can report that we spent a very enjoyable couple of hours at Robin Hoods Bay, and I walked down and back up again, and did not need to dispatch Carol for the car!!!!

Robin & Carol TM.

P.S. I'm in trouble again, didn't know Carol was outside dead heading the roses, thought she was in upstairs unpacking, locked up and settled down to watch the TV, only to be scared witless by her very loud banging on the front door to be let in!!!!!!! Didn't hear the door bell, I'm sure you will appreciate my predicament.

Bernard
11-06-2018, 09:03
P.S. I'm in trouble again, didn't know Carol was outside dead heading the roses, thought she was in upstairs unpacking, locked up and settled down to watch the TV, only to be scared witless by her very loud banging on the front door to be let in!!!!!!! Didn't hear the door bell, I'm sure you will appreciate my predicament.

I THOUGHT MY LAST WORDS TO YOU WERE... KEEP OUT OF TROUBLE !... LOL

teflonbiker
11-06-2018, 15:42
Thank you David for an excellent weekend Lynda and I had great fun thanks again.

David J
11-06-2018, 16:49
Pat and I are so pleased everyone enjoyed the weekend, we certainly did. Better get started on next years tour?

David

Normb666
11-06-2018, 19:24
Hahaha - it seems the "organizing bug" has bitten you! We'll let you have a few months off first though, cos we're good like that :)
I've got a fortnight off work after this week and I'll be having a run round the route for the August do - not least trying to find an alternative stopping point now Hartside Cafe's burned down! Anybody fancy manning a burger and drinks van...??

Two-Eight-Six
13-06-2018, 22:14
Pat and I are so pleased everyone enjoyed the weekend, we certainly did. Better get started on next years tour?

David

Thanks especially for organising the visit to RSR, David - a visual feast!

The Slug
14-06-2018, 15:08
Sorry to be last again to the show ....but THANKS PAT and Dave for sorting out the trip and accommodation.
A thankless task at best but I hope we showed you we all appreciated all the effort you both went to......

Glad I missed that collection of car's..... Red E-type, and 356,..... lucky to get out of that one!!! Mrs F has a soft spot for both!!!