PDA

View Full Version : Rallying in the 70s

Redline
12-12-2017, 14:42
I haven't seen this one (https://youtu.be/Mk-7iFsbElI) before, what tremendous fun and variety back in those days...

Written by Graham Robson
Presented by Steve Rider

1 hour and 18 minutes of real nostalgia.

Griff
14-12-2017, 00:07
likewise, I had not seen this before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVoUP1_VQGg

Bernard Darniche's car

ah_sprite
14-12-2017, 01:12
Griff, that Darniche video is available on DVD and comes with English subtitles! I only discovered it earlier this year, too.

Hadn't seen the 70s Rallying one before though - top find! Some great footage that I hadn't seen before. The part where the Ford boys nick the axle out of that Capri always tickles me, though! Rallying at its best.

Griff
14-12-2017, 17:12
Yes, we did something similar Tour of Flanders, mid 90's Barretts Subaru (David Higgins) had the dump valve fail, so we nicked one of the road going WRX of the chap that ran the 'Crack' team.

Much to the chagrin of Pascal Smets, driving a Mitsubishi Evo, who we beat. Jim Crawford did a cartoon about the post event scrutineering

john
14-12-2017, 18:29
Ah well, if we are swapping reminiscences of rallying times gone by and impromptu repairs I have to tell you about our Chevettes alternator failure on the first half of the Raven Hotel Firefly in the early eighties.
Our lights were growing dimmer and dimmer in the Shropshire lanes in the early hours. Approaching the last MTC before the petrol halt we just asked the marshals if they had a spare alternator in the back of their Cortina Estate. Yes we have was the reply. Ten minutes effort with one bolt and one wire connected and a stout bit of holly bush as a tensioner saw us up and running again in the second half. Eighth overall!
As daylight returned after breakfast we gave them the alternator back and drove home thirty miles on a nicely charged battery!
Like you say brilliant times and never will be repeated.

bosmass
17-12-2017, 05:06
thanks for the link - that was really good to watch, i also watched the rallying in the 80's video as well.

Rotor1
17-12-2017, 10:44
Thanks Mark, I watched them all a couple of times, very impressive, especially seeing how the Strati carved their way through any terrain, Be it snow, mud or gravel, wet or dry!

Stratos Fear
19-12-2017, 11:41
Great video Mark - brings back some good memories !