PDA

View Full Version : Lombard rally rac bath 2018 event

carol
16-12-2017, 22:25
www.lombardrallybath.co.uk

details on the above website if interested

Stratos Fear
19-12-2017, 10:22
Looks interesting ! - a few names I recognise too from back in the day ..............

Bernard
19-12-2017, 11:10
Decided to put our names down in Nellie

Phil and Helen

Guy Mayers
19-12-2017, 12:43
Looks like I may need to go to navigator school. David Hanman has entered us in his Safari car....

Bernard
19-12-2017, 13:02
Looks like I may need to go to navigator school. David Hanman has entered us in his Safari car....

Shouldn't be too bad Guy.... It's a Tour rather than a Rally.....

Bernard
19-12-2017, 13:12
OOOOOOooo

Just noticed that there are 2 LANCIA Strato's and 1 Hawk Strato's !.......LOL

Guy Mayers
15-01-2018, 21:31
Just looked at the provisional entry lists and there are 4 replicas and 2 originals as of now. John & Carol, Phil & Helen, John Griffin & Jerry Bailey plus David in the Safari car and Peter Jeffries/Chris Davies in OYU335R, an ex Chequered Flag car.
And John Whalley in an Integrale!
Guy

Bernard
09-05-2018, 13:29
They have announced 12 additional places if anyone is interested

ProtoTipo
14-06-2018, 20:49
Now there's a Yorkshire (MINTEX) version of this event. In April next year.

Going back to that CF car;
It'll be interesting to see what carries the OYU 353R reg. these days?
or OYU 553R as it's written on this entry list.

ProtoTipo
20-06-2018, 18:15
Peter Jeffries/Chris Davies in OYU335R, an ex Chequered Flag car.Guy

I understand that it isn't a Stratos Guy.

Guy Mayers
20-06-2018, 19:26
That'd be a shame Chris - it's listed as a Stratos on entry number 88!
http://lombardrallybath.co.uk/entry-list/
Guy

Sando
21-06-2018, 09:46
Still think it’s a shame we have one or two club members/officials entering their replicas as Lancia’s........

Sorry to bring it up again but I think this needs attention, as doesn’t reflect very well on the club, especially on such a prominent event. If we want to be taken seriously in this company then we need to show some integrity.

Even if the organisers have done it by mistake, it should be clarified with them IMHO.
If the cars ar registered incorrectly...then that’s a another whole world of problems.

strat24v
21-06-2018, 14:50
Agreed. It's not right. I'm sure there will be something in the club rules about bringing the club name into disrepute which running replicas on events as originals certainly is.

Griff
22-06-2018, 09:12
Rob, John, as 'one of the club members' bringing the club into 'disrepute' let me make it very clear I very clearly told the organisers that my car is a Stratos replica. I'm not taking offence from your comments, but I'm surprised given the normal friendly way in which we treat each other on this site neither of you thought to pm me with your concerns.
Whenever anybody asks I'm always very clear that my car is a REPLICA. Having said that I'll by quite happy to buy either/both of you a beer/coffee the next time we meet.

The Slug
22-06-2018, 11:26
Do you not think it is the responsibility of all club members to try and keep the integrity of the club? and its correct that people do have concerns over what it represents.

That said, if you know who those people are and have had private word with them, as I'm sure any respectful members would have done first, and not received a reply.
Then contact the Chairman in private, or even the event organiser if your so incensed, you never know it could be a clerical error on the events part, (Bit like the number plate being wrong?)

Lets not cast accusations in public, on an open forum.
That does bring the club down to a lower level for anyone who reads it.

ProtoTipo
22-06-2018, 11:46
I would think it probably is a clerical thing.

Which ever way he's made it, I think Rob does make a valid point.

The Slug
22-06-2018, 12:02
I would think your right Chris, I don't think it would have been a deliberate act by anyone on here to pass a car off as real.

Normb666
22-06-2018, 12:08
I suppose so long as no-one's trying to pull the wool, there's no harm done. If it's been made plain the car's a replica, then you can understand event organisers just calling it a "Stratos" cos as far as Joe Public's concerned, that's what they're seeing. We're probably always going to have this scenario with any replica, although now that replicas are gaining more and more credibility and start to leave behind the "cheap and nasty kit car" label, there's less need to pretend they're something they're not... let's have a sweep on how long it is before this topic comes up again :)

Although, I think if I was any of the guys on here and Griff offered me a drink, I'd be wanting to see what went into it... :) :)

Bernard
22-06-2018, 13:59
Speaking as one who has been misrepresented on Tour Britannia... I entered as a Hawk Stratos... but the regs and advertising said Lancia Stratos..... but to avoid future confusion / accusations I did scan my entry and saved it for a rainy day.
I contacted the organisers and they just said "don't worry" !!!

However I do support Robs comments

On Johns point.... not ALL Stratos Replica Enthusiasts are members of our club so I guess this is down to their own conscience

Strat Fan
22-06-2018, 14:18
As a left field thought why not just enter it as what it actually says on the V5 document (assuming that the cars are correctly registered of course!). If you are entering a Hawk then Enter it as a Hawk HF3000 (2000, 2500, 3200 etc), if you are entering a Corse then enter it as a Litton/CAE/Napiersport Corse and if you are entering an LB then enter it as an LB STR.
That way those who are spectating may see something that looks like a Stratos go past and if they are interested in knowing more they can look at the entry list and identify which marque it is. If they want to know more still they can do an internet search which could actually educate them about the replicas and in turn then lead them to either this site or a suppliers website etc. If they see Lancia Stratos or Stratos on the entry they could simply go away thinking they've seen an actual Stratos and think that a Dino V6 sounds like an Alfa GTV6?

strat24v
22-06-2018, 16:22
Above post says it all, thank-you.

Sando
22-06-2018, 18:08
Griff I’ll take you up on a drink one day! Sorry if I was blunt, but I was careful not to name anyone.

It had been mentioned earlier in the thread months and months ago though, and was discussed openly at Stoneleigh with another Lancia entrant, so to me was out in the open with no need for private messages. Reading entry list, some people have managed to get ther entry as their manufacturer, in this instance Hawk, while others are down as a Lancia, this is what made me post something on the forum for discussion.

It’s the Lancia bit that’s worrying. Especially on such a big event that will attract a lot of Press.

Whilst organisers do change things, I think it’s down to us as members (..and especially club officials!....) of an enthusiasts club to make sure they get it right in the first place and protect the integrity of the club and the other members who get equally embarrassed when questioned why a car is entered as an original, when it’s a kit car.

The guys running Classic events are generally happy to have you, but other participants can get very touchy about it in my own experience, even if you have entered it as the kit manufacturer, if you have Lancia badges on your car, then you have to be prepared for some comments.

Ill get down off me soap box now, just something I think we need to be sharper on as a club if we are to be taken seriously and allowed to run on these events.

Bobster

Griff
22-06-2018, 21:52
Norm, what has my wife been telling you about drinks additives?
Rob, excellent, I'm very proud of my Hawk, particularly when people say nice things about it. Unfortunately I wasn't at Stoneleigh, so was totally unaware of any conversation that took place.
Craig, that's always assuming it doesn't have a Toyota, Fiat, Rover, or Honda lump? and that it has 6 cylinders!!!!!

Normb666
23-06-2018, 13:40
Griff, I always put additives in my drinks...sugar and milk if it's tea or coffee, water if it's a cordial, and a splash of lime with lager ;)

This whole subject of identity is a very sensitive one. I can, actually, understand why someone would be a bit economical with the truth - they've built or bought a "replica" because they always wanted a real one, and can't have one for whatever reason (financial, usually!), so this is as good as it gets. And to extend the fantasy or whatever you want to call it, it becomes almost a Lancia Stratos in their head, and then that gets extended when explanations need to be forthcoming after the usual questions from the public - sometimes it's just a lot easier to say it's a Lancia Stratos than have to go into that whole explanation of it being a replica and it's got this or that motor and how close it is to a real one (or not) and how it's actually better (or worse, but who's gonna say that!) and, and, .... and you need to be in work the next day and not still standing at the roadside/in a car park answering the same old questions from a horde of enthusiastic interested onlookers.

If you're entering an event then it's fine to put "Lancia Stratos" but you need to be a bit more forthcoming as well - Craig's suggestion to put it down as what it is is a good one, but most people out there in Car World don't know what a Lister Bell or a Hawk is so I think you NEED to put "Stratos replica" or something so organisers know what they're getting. And if you did enter a replica as a Lancia Stratos, would you not be in danger of being excluded when it's discovered the car's not what you said it is? Cars have been disqualified from events before for just being a few cc's over the capacity limit, so a whole car not being what it purposed to be...

So yeah. A very emotive subject that gets lots of people worked up. But really, the only time this becomes an issue is when there's an intention to deceive. An example would be that YouTube video that someone posted a link to recently, where the titles specifically said "Lancia Stratos" and it was a V8-engined Hawk. But other times? Sometimes it's just easier to say "yeah, I've done *whatever* to the Strat" and nobody thinks you're talkng about modding your Fender electric guitar...

Let's not bash each other up here. I can't believe anyone on this forum would be daft enough to try and pass their car off as "real" cos all the forum members would know immediately. And even if someone DID do it and was "discovered", I don't see how that brings the forum/club into disrepute - it's the action of one person. After all, how many of us have points on our licences...doesn't mean everyone in the club's all speed-crazed lunatics on a Death Race 2000-style mission, does it?
Erm, OK, scrub that last bit...bad example ;) :)

I now await the incoming hail of comments, barbed, mild or otherwise...but it's just my opinion and doesn't reflect on the club as a whole, haha!

carol
23-06-2018, 18:49
No idea what on earth is being said about John, firstly i have always made out and place any entry forms to any events we have ever attended not john, i just ask him for any information that is needed that i am not sure of in filling out these forms as they vary at times i.e make model etc, as (LANCIA STRATOS HAWK REPLICA. ENGINE SIZE ETC.) i have never said or stated at any time on any application anything different than it is a Lancia Stratos Hawk Replica.
I contacted Tim Nash to see where we stood, in this matter, see below my email and Tim's reply.
I cannot see why i need to apologize to all the SEC members for errors that are made by the publishing organizers of the events about Johns car, with being a club committee member makes things even worst on this matter. If any member wishes me to resign, please feel free to pm me.

(Carol

I will have a look over the weekend, but as far as I remember your car is listed as a replica. You didn't enter as the "real" thing, I do remember that.

Whatever it is listed as, how would you like the car listed when the programme is printed?

Tim Nash

Original Message
Sent: Friday, 22 June 2018 9:00 PM
To: Tim Nash
Subject: Re Lombard rac rally in bath entry form

Dear Tim ,

We have been told that by some club members of the stratos enthusiast club , on the open forum that we ( John Butterfield )has deliberately placed an entry to yourselves stating that our car is an original Lancia Stratos, when we made out the form we never said or ever said it was an original always been a hawk replica , please can you let us know where we stand now, as the car has been miss represented somewhere on a site for your event, we certainly do not want to jeopardise the integrity of either the event I or the stratos club (SEC).

I shall await your reply

Regards Carol & John Butterfield

Sent from my iPad
"
carol
I have had a look at www.lombardrallybath.co.uk/entry-list (http://www.lombardrallybath.co.uk/entry-list) this morning and I'm afraid that there was a mistake made on your entry listing. Feel free to pass this on to the Stratos owners club. The entry listing has now been updated to Hawk Stratos, as it should be.

My apologies for the mistake - sorry if it has caused any embarrassment.

See you in Ocober.

All the Best

Tim Nash

ProtoTipo
24-06-2018, 09:12
I would think it probably is a clerical thing.

As I thought.

StruanR
24-06-2018, 19:15
My Hawk is correctly registered by DVLA, but always comes up on the DVLA MOT computer as a Lancia Stratos, when it goes for an MOT....
My resignation is in the post....
Struan

StruanR
25-06-2018, 11:14
...and sometimes, when people ask, it's easier to just call it a Lancia Stratos. A lot of people don't know what a Lancia is or a Hawk, let alone a Stratos. If you tell them it's a replica you then have to explain it's a real car, you can actually drive it on the road.:rolleyes:
Struan

Normb666
25-06-2018, 12:14
Struan, that's what I was saying above - sometimes you just can't be ar*sed after a long day driving and doing roadside repairs, haha! And most of the time it wouldn't make any difference to those you're talking to... I did something similar a few years ago when I was visiting someone in California. We'd meet people, they'd be fascinated by the accent and ask where I was from, I'd tell them St. Helens and then that'd lead into a whole other conversation about where that is, etc. etc. So eventually I just said "Liverpool" (which is about 12 miles down the road) and the response then was "ah!" or, "hey, did you know the Beatles?" depending on the age of the other person...much easier, plus I got my life back :)

Guy Mayers
25-06-2018, 14:14
So eventually I just said "Liverpool" (which is about 12 miles down the road) and the response then was "ah!" or, "hey, did you know the Beatles?" depending on the age of the other person...much easier, plus I got my life back :)

But that was only after you learnt to say, no, never met John/Paul/George or Ringo.....

john
25-06-2018, 15:32
Every scouser of a certain age I've met went to school with Paul or John. Must have been a big class.......
Only joking!!!!!

Normb666
25-06-2018, 17:12
No you're not ;)

Hahahaha!!

Bernard
18-10-2018, 22:41
Its this weekend if anyone is around the south west... Bath Area

Guy Mayers
18-10-2018, 23:15
Unfortunately we're not able to make it, the car is without a flywheel and clutch at the moment and despite the best attempts, won't be fixed before the middle of next week. Gutted for David.
Guy

Longtimefan
19-10-2018, 15:53
Phil & Helen, I know you will have a great time, enjoy every minute and post up some pictures please.

Carol and I wish we were with you, but currently immersed in a floor retiling exercise after a leak and under floor heating failure in our 1st floor bathroom. Happy days!!!!

Bernard
21-10-2018, 18:19
Just got back.... Nellie lost all her coolant after the first stage at Longleat.... temp was fluctuating up and down and was also steam at the start at Bath....didn't do it at home !!....so we pulled over Carol and John stopped to give us some water.... let it cool down... refilled and decided to go back to our hotel... took a steady 52 mile run back and the temperature stayed perfect !!!!!!!..... took it out for a thrash this afternoon and didn't have a problem !....... must have had an air lock in the system after fitting the new radiator a couple of weeks ago, although did run the electric pump whilst filling but I guess it didn't work !

So Thanks to Carol and John for letting me have their drinking water and going thirsty all day !!

Nellie has been severely repremanded.

And just to make you all smile..... at 7:00 on Saturday morning... went out to start Nellie and get the heater going to prevent the screen misting up.... turned on the heater fan and was covered in Niger Seeds !!... it appears that a mouse has taken the seeds from the bird feeder got into Nellie and deposited them in the heater for his winter stash !!..... oh how we laughed !!!...little git !

Griff
21-10-2018, 19:35
At the start

Griff
21-10-2018, 19:39
Wiscombe Park

Griff
21-10-2018, 19:41
Porlock Hill

Griff
21-10-2018, 19:44
Back at the Finish, car ran really well, no issues to report. The event itself was very enjoyable, and next year if they get some of the admin sorted out will be well worthwhile

Bernard
21-10-2018, 22:02
Longleat...... not too many photo's after this !!!...... congrat's to all that made the 250 mile route !

Bernard
21-10-2018, 22:06
PS.... Thanks to HEL flexible Brake hoses for their help in getting Nellie this far !!

Griff
21-10-2018, 22:28
Phil,
what happened? I didn't see you after Saturday morning, there were rally cars heading in all directions across most of North Devon heading in all directions. (We should keep the road book it's going to go down in folklore!!!)

Normb666
22-10-2018, 09:47
Phil - shame you didn't get to do the whole thing, but after that episode with the mouse, I assume next year you'll be seeded somewhat higher??

John - ta for the pix. Looks to be an interesting event. Maybe someone should use that roadbook as a basis for a club weekend and call it the Barf Rally :)

Bernard
22-10-2018, 13:33
see post 36 Griff.........

Phil,
what happened? I didn't see you after Saturday morning, there were rally cars heading in all directions across most of North Devon heading in all directions. (We should keep the road book it's going to go down in folklore!!!)

Bernard
22-10-2018, 13:33
Brilliant !

Phil - shame you didn't get to do the whole thing, but after that episode with the mouse, I assume next year you'll be seeded somewhat higher??

John - ta for the pix. Looks to be an interesting event. Maybe someone should use that roadbook as a basis for a club weekend and call it the Barf Rally :)

ChrisCar6
22-10-2018, 18:45
Wiscombe Park

That's a real Stratos waiting second in the queue innit?

john
22-10-2018, 19:12
?????!!!
I see a TR7/8.
Is my eyesight failing? Or my sense of humour?

ChrisCar6
22-10-2018, 19:41
Oh, John! :cool:

john
22-10-2018, 20:22
Let me in on the secret then!

Guy Mayers
22-10-2018, 20:43
No Chris - keep him in suspense!

ProtoTipo
18-03-2019, 12:39
And just to make you all smile..... at 7:00 on Saturday morning... went out to start Nellie and get the heater going to prevent the screen misting up.... turned on the heater fan and was covered in Niger Seeds !!... it appears that a mouse has taken the seeds from the bird feeder got into Nellie and deposited them in the heater for his winter stash !!..... oh how we laughed !!!...little git !

What's the best way to get rid of the lesser spotted 'Garage Mouse'?
'Just found this:

Normb666
18-03-2019, 14:27
Serve an eviction notice, and if that doesn't work....do you like cats??

ProtoTipo
18-03-2019, 16:48
Serve an eviction notice, and if that doesn't work....do you like cats??

I'm allergic to cats,... oh, and I hate them.

GerryA
18-03-2019, 18:32
Had the same issue last winter - amazed at where the little blighters can get to (excellent climbers!) and what damage they can do.
I bought some cheap traps from Screwfix and baited them with Rolos - apparently they love 'em.
Was advised to set them on the edges of the garage where wall meets floor and it did the trick.
Good luck!!

ProtoTipo
19-03-2019, 08:55
Had the same issue last winter - amazed at where the little blighters can get to (excellent climbers!) and what damage they can do.
I bought some cheap traps from Screwfix and baited them with Rolos - apparently they love 'em.
Was advised to set them on the edges of the garage where wall meets floor and it did the trick.
Good luck!!

Thanks for that Gerry,
I'd heard peanut butter, but also chocolate.
I won't give it my last Rolo.;)

Longtimefan
19-03-2019, 09:24
Chris, a couple of years ago, one of your squatters relatives made its home in the 'V' of the engine of the Stag over the winter, so the following year I put a trap there bated with a bit of Mars bar, the theory being, as with the consistency of a Rolo, that it sticks particularly well to the spikes on the trap, and the little b-----s can't knock it off before bingo, got it.

When I went to open it up in the spring, we found this very stiff, very dead, object with no further evidence!! mind you I think it sent its freinds to lodge in the Fuse box of my Citreon C5. It was jammed packed with Ash seeds, and it had just been serviced!!! Perhaps they never lifted the bonnet?

Robin

ProtoTipo
19-03-2019, 11:03
Chris, a couple of years ago, one of your squatters relatives made its home in the 'V' of the engine of the Stag over the winter, so the following year I put a trap there bated with a bit of Mars bar, the theory being, as with the consistency of a Rolo, that it sticks particularly well to the spikes on the trap, and the little b-----s can't knock it off before bingo, got it.

When I went to open it up in the spring, we found this very stiff, very dead, object with no further evidence!! mind you I think it sent its freinds to lodge in the Fuse box of my Citreon C5. It was jammed packed with Ash seeds, and it had just been serviced!!! Perhaps they never lifted the bonnet?

Robin

Thanks Robin,

I thought you were going to say that you forgot about the trap in the 'V' and ended up with roast mouse?
The sticky type of chocolate product makes sense now, I understand.

I've got the ex Tom Ransom Allora twin cam here under a couple of sheets in a nice dry (indoors) place.
A mouse (probably the same one) had made a hole in the sheets and stashed the space between the cam covers with sycamore seeds.
I carefully hoovered the seeds out and packed the space so that nothing could get in. The mouse hasn't been back.
I really need to get rid of it though, it'll be one of my brother's cars wiring looms next?

ProtoTipo
24-03-2019, 10:23

Well, that worked a treat Gerry.
I armed it with some 'Milk Tray'.

john
24-03-2019, 19:26
Aaah, but where's the rolo, or Milk Tray?
Answer, his mate came along afterwards and nicked it, so you might still have a problem!

GerryA
25-03-2019, 00:24
Glad the choc worked!
My squatters came as a pair so you may not be finished yet....

ProtoTipo
25-03-2019, 11:32
Thanks John, Gerry,

I've got two other traps armed, and I'll reset the first one again.

John, I can see the choc parts thrown far and wide.

ProtoTipo
28-03-2019, 11:45
Aaah, but where's the rolo, or Milk Tray?
Answer, his mate came along afterwards and nicked it, so you might still have a problem!

How right you were John.
I set the same trap in the same place, and now I've caught the 'thief'.
This time the choc is still there.

john
28-03-2019, 18:50
Result then Chris!