PDA

View Full Version : New Workshop

Steve C
20-12-2011, 09:41
Now that I have cleared 2 feet of cow poo out of my old barn I am ready to get it converted into my Stratos build workshop. Having seen Mel's garage/workshop I realise that there are many pitfalls to designing a new workshop from scratch, as well as loads of advantages! Basically I will have a 15m by 5m concrete floor with breeze block walls and a steel roof (wriggly tin). I am trying to buy a steel roller door that has been sitting on the floor at work minus its electric motor for £250.
What I am after is the words of wisdom from those who have built kits on what facilities to fit and what to avoid. I cannot build a pit as the ground is not suitable (nor are my pockets deep enough).
All suggestions welcome.

Steve

The Slug
20-12-2011, 10:24
Plenty of lights, plenty of power, and lots of insulation....brrreezzzz

Whose Kit are you building that will make a differance!

Bernard
20-12-2011, 13:23
Hi Steve

Have you thought of installing one of those electric car lifts.............. think the retail is about £1600 / £1800 and they come to you in kit form and they just bolt to the floor.................. I am sure someone will have seen them advertised

they are generally advertised in the car mags.................... might save lots of back ache and crawling on your hands and knees (my knees are goosed !)

Cheers

Phil

turbonutter
20-12-2011, 13:57
It really Depends on your budget & on what skills you have, Given the budget & the space you have - I would partition off a section for metal work, with a small lathe and mill + grinder & mig welding - if you think that will be needed.
The lift is a good idea - I would have one if i had space.
Insulation, lots of light, lots of power sockets are a must
A good level Painted floor also makes things easy.

Some decent work benches & a good amount of shelving..

catswhiskers
20-12-2011, 15:28
A lift would definitely be a useful addition. These guys do some great workshop kit and the prices are very competitive too. http://www.cjautos.site90.net/lifts.html

Other than the other suggestions already made, I have a separate room area (separate attatched garage actually) for fibreglass preparation. You just wouldn't believe where the dust can get into.
Good luck with the project.

mudhut
20-12-2011, 19:38
Try to keep the lighting as diffuse as possible to avoid casting hard shadows.

Sando
20-12-2011, 20:57
Carpet and a heater, good insulation, lighting, plenty of Leccy sockets, extractor fan, good bench, big vice, hoist? flat floor or patch, loads of shelves and storage. Good idea about a welding/machine area......oooo and a few good hammers ;)

ChrisCar6
20-12-2011, 22:45
Radio / stereo a must.

I've an old laptop that I use for cardisc and wiring diagram pictures. I'm considering running a broadband cable to my new man-shed when I build it in the next few months.

Water supply / power washer - early cleaning more likely to happen after muddy / salty drives.

I run a dehumidifier 24/7 in my current garage - get the gel type, Rubydry or something like that - not the condenser type, which only work effectively above 15 degrees.

Beer fridge, TV, sofa......

Jeff
20-12-2011, 22:59
Basically I will have a 15m by 5m concrete floor with breeze block walls and a steel roof (wriggly tin).
Steve

Good grief, I am amature (well, that's no surprise then), I've only a quarter of that space to build mine in. Now seriously green with envy.

My advice: get floor really flat, level and smooth. Treat the surface with something that'll make keeping it clean easy. Do this as soon as it's weather tight.

2p .. Just about what my advice is worth :)

Martin Crikey
21-12-2011, 00:58
If you need a workshop heater an old gas bottle is a cheap way, waste oil or any old wood

colin artus
21-12-2011, 01:53
The biggest problem I have found to be condensation on metal surfaces ( a bugger if you have machine tools). So it's necessary to keep the temp always above the dew point. For this I use a tube heater that is permanently on, but as it is only 50w or so, quite cheap. You can get them from screwfix.

Bernard
21-12-2011, 08:13
Good one Colin !!......... I have the same 2 tube heaters !!........... just enough to keep condesate away

ChrisCar6
21-12-2011, 08:53
Paint the walls white and the floor a light colour. helps the diffuse light aomebody mentioned earlier

Steve C
23-12-2011, 21:14
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Power sockets, lighting and insulation are already in the mix: I wish I could run to a lift but the cost would delay buying the kit. I have put a deposit on a ListerBell so hopefully the need for glassfibre work will be minimal. I have a very fine selection of hammers as I understand this is a requirement for a first class build!
Dehumidifiers/tube heaters were new ones to me but as the bikes will be in the workshop keeping the humidity down will be of great benefit: my donor has been siting under a taup for 3 months and despite a coating of WD40 on the mechanics is looking very sorry for itself.
Any more suggestions welcome.

Steve

Steve C
30-05-2012, 09:51
Finally got a date for laying the workshop floor in a few weeks: only need to drag the 3 wheeled donor out of the barn into the one next door without damaging the engine or gearbox! Once floor is cured I will start building the block walls so this could be a long thread......

Steve

Steve C
15-06-2012, 20:46
Floor now down - apparently as I can't see it for all the water! Next step is to build block walls to about 2m and the clad up from there. Managed to move the 147 but for some strange reason it would only turn left - might have something to do with the missing wheel.

Steve

The Slug
15-06-2012, 23:47
It took me 3 years from building the workshop to getting the kit so you have some way to go yet!

threep
26-04-2014, 18:49
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Power sockets, lighting and insulation are already in the mix: I wish I could run to a lift but the cost would delay buying the kit. I have put a deposit on a ListerBell so hopefully the need for glassfibre work will be minimal. I have a very fine selection of hammers as I understand this is a requirement for a first class build!
Dehumidifiers/tube heaters were new ones to me but as the bikes will be in the workshop keeping the humidity down will be of great benefit: my donor has been siting under a taup for 3 months and despite a coating of WD40 on the mechanics is looking very sorry for itself.
Any more suggestions welcome.

Steve

Lots of good suggestions.

I'd not thought of dehumidifies/tube heaters, buts it's a sensible suggestion. What did you get Steve? I've got a double garage to do the build so a lot less volume to deal with.

I painted the garage floor a couple of years ago but ideally will give it another coat before the build starts. The walls will be whitewashed soon. I'm getting a new electrical supply put in which will allow me to have > 3x lighting and 7x double sockets. I'm also planning to get a brick shed built to butt onto the garage. That will allow all non project stuff (like gardening tools and bikes) to be kept out of the way. It'll also house my compressor.

Steve C
26-04-2014, 19:13
Never got around to the dehumidifier and my only heater is a small electric one. The workshop is great as I have plenty of space for all my rubbish but the downside is it can get chilly...trying to do electrics in Jan was a bit of a challenge. Did my own electric ring and included 9 double sockets, the more the merrier and you do find they all get used at some point. Fitting an old stainless steel sink and small water heater was a good move , keeps the Ayatollah in the house happy when all the dirt is kept in the workshop.

Steve