PDA

View Full Version : Yet another non Stratos related project !!

Bernard
31-01-2018, 20:45
Hi
does anyone know where to get the spotlight bonnet pods and group 4 arches for a Fiat 124 sport Spider 1979 variety
Ta
Phil

Guy Mayers
31-01-2018, 21:21
I'd try Guy Moerenhout first?
http://www.abarth-gmr.be/new/
or maybe Spider-Point in Germany
http://www.spider-point.com/fiat-spider.html?cat=21&p=14
There's another name I'm struggling with, somewhere in Germany.... It'll come!
Guy

Guy Mayers
31-01-2018, 21:22
You've not bought my old Spider have you Phil?

Guy Mayers
31-01-2018, 21:30
Midwest Bayliss in USA?
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-7748-fg-124-group-4-rally-kit-fiberglass-body-kit-group-4-fiat-124-spider-rally-new.aspx

Guy Mayers
31-01-2018, 21:35
DTR

http://www.dtrsports.com/aboutus.asp

Someone has to know where to get the lights Phil?

Bernard
01-02-2018, 08:19
Thanks Guy

Thought you would know !!

I have bought an ex California 2000 - 1979 - white - doesn't have all the emissions crap on it - Bodywork (from photos) is 99% rust free which is the big bonus !... I will go and pick it up mid/end Feb.

Hopefully it will look something similar to this...

My skills don't stretch to those of Mr Savage so I have decided to stick to simple stuff !

I did get prices from Guy Mourenhout but just thought I would check out prices from other suppliers

Cheers

Phil

Guy Mayers
01-02-2018, 08:55
The wings I linked to are the wrong ones if that's the style you're after. Are you going to git a hardtop too? Suspect you might need the entire bonnet with the scoops opened up? Look forward to seeing it sometime, if the body is straight & rot free they're an easy resto project, all the parts available from the likes of Spider Point in Germany, I think most others have the same source of parts for them. Assuming you're staying LHD sidedraught twin 40's won't fit as the steering fouls. You'll need to find a "waffle" manifold and downdraughts. Have fun!
Guy

Allora#2
01-02-2018, 09:40
on this side you will find some parts you need!

http://www.rallyshop.it/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=384_994_1000&sort=3a&language=en

Bernard
01-02-2018, 11:08
Yes Staying LHD also noted the side draught problem !........... Thanks Guy

Thanks Enzo !

David J
01-02-2018, 15:01
Phil

Just looking at Guy Croft's site and came across this advert for a waffle manifold.

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3508&sid=bfc10457c68c9375f832cfa157b381d2

David

ProtoTipo
01-02-2018, 15:04
doesn't have all the emissions crap on it

Don't you mean, 'carp'?

Guy Mayers
01-02-2018, 17:07
That's the manifold but the ad is from 2012? I'm sure I don't need to warn you, but I will, that the Fiat and Lancia ones are different as the Beta was tilted back 20 degrees. Having said that, most of the waffle manifolds out there will be a Fiat fitment.

Guy

David J
01-02-2018, 18:07
At the bottom of the add it states still for sale 12 Jan 2018.

David

Guy Mayers
01-02-2018, 18:09
Didn't spot that David! Nice find!

Normb666
01-02-2018, 19:44
Phil,

if you want a genuine Fiat waffle manifold like the one in the pics, I've got one you can have...unmodified, great nick, been sitting in the garage since 1988 when I bought it for my Allora before realising the mounting angle was wrong for a Lancia, as Guy said :) Just never got round to selling it!

Yours if you want it....."if", hahaha!

The Norm

Strat Fan
01-02-2018, 19:52
Bodywork (from photos) is 99% rust free which is the big bonus !...

Cheers

Phil

So the exact polar opposite of the Zagato??:cool:

Bernard
01-02-2018, 20:33
So the exact polar opposite of the Zagato??:cool:

Good job the Zagato can't hear Mr White he/she (Helen's not given it a name yet !) could get hurt by those comments

Bernard
01-02-2018, 20:35
Hi Normy
yes will take it........ At 1988 prices ???...lol
ta very much

Phil,

if you want a genuine Fiat waffle manifold like the one in the pics, I've got one you can have...unmodified, great nick, been sitting in the garage since 1988 when I bought it for my Allora before realising the mounting angle was wrong for a Lancia, as Guy said :) Just never got round to selling it!

Yours if you want it....."if", hahaha!

The Norm

Normb666
01-02-2018, 20:43
1988 prices? Well if you insist...I paid £45 for it, but I was gonna let you have it for nowt... :-P

Bernard
02-02-2018, 11:56
1988 prices? Well if you insist...I paid £45 for it, but I was gonna let you have it for nowt... :-P

No no no no...... Well ok then...I will be having a garage day again March April time, will you be coming again???

if not I will send up some wine tokens for your good lady!!!....

NoCorseChris
02-02-2018, 15:40
Ah, that looks nice. If you do pick it up before your next garage day Phil, that might tempt me over.......

Had a few 124 Coupe versions when I was a lot younger. Great cars. Always fancied a Spyder.

Bernard
02-02-2018, 15:56
Ah, that looks nice. If you do pick it up before your next garage day Phil, that might tempt me over.......

Had a few 124 Coupe versions when I was a lot younger. Great cars. Always fancied a Spyder.

Looks like you need to plan a route to my place then Chris !!...pick it up before the end of Feb

ProtoTipo
02-02-2018, 16:32
Have you got this Phil?:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-124-Berlina-Spider-da-Corsa-Antonio-Biasioli/371779028912?epid=1424458522&hash=item568fc1c7b0:g:7Y4AAOSwal5YGcPJ

My brother got me it for Christmas. 'Same author as the Stratos 40 years book.

Guy Mayers
02-02-2018, 18:08
I regret getting rid of my 124 Spider, lost a fortune on it after the RHD conversion but hey ho. Fun whilst I had it and resto was straight forward. But just didn't use it enough, 4000 odd miles in 4 years but a couple of hundred in the last year meant it wasn't getting the use it needed so it had to go.. The Stratos was always favourite for a quick blast!
I'll have a look and see if I've got any bits left over including any manuals & books that can go to a good home! Looking forward to the garage day Phil!
Guy

Bernard
02-02-2018, 18:43
CJ...... I have now !!....thanks for the heads up

Guy.... Thanks....all bits and bobs most welcome!

guess I should look at the calendar at put a date on the garage day....

Normb666
02-02-2018, 20:40
Hi Phil, yeah, I'll be at your garage day again...I'll take that as an invitation to next year's since I've never been to yours before :) :)

Thanks for the offer of the wine tokens, but really, you don't have to. I wouldn't give it to someone if I thought they were just gonna sell it on and make money, but if it helps someone out then that'll do me! ...even if it's you, hahaha! And it's definitely a genuine spider one cos when I looked at it earlier it was still full of cobwebs and dead arachnids :-P

Was trying to think who my good lady might be, but no, there's only Leah, and she's just evil. Mostly...

ProtoTipo
03-02-2018, 07:54
CJ...... I have now !!....thanks for the heads up

It's full of period photos, as you'd expect from his books.

Bernard
03-02-2018, 14:14
Hi Phil, yeah, I'll be at your garage day again...I'll take that as an invitation to next year's since I've never been to yours before :) :)

Thanks for the offer of the wine tokens, but really, you don't have to. I wouldn't give it to someone if I thought they were just gonna sell it on and make money, but if it helps someone out then that'll do me! ...even if it's you, hahaha! And it's definitely a genuine spider one cos when I looked at it earlier it was still full of cobwebs and dead arachnids :-P

Was trying to think who my good lady might be, but no, there's only Leah, and she's just evil. Mostly...

Knew you couldn't resist the "wine for your good lady" comment !!!..... Lol....Leah has the sharpest tongue of all the women I have met !!..... Good luck !

going to watch the Welsh v Jocks now.

cheers
Phil

Normb666
03-02-2018, 18:50
Sharp tongue? That's an understatement....when she yawns you can see a stamp on it that says "Wilkinson Sword"...dunno how she's not ripped her cheeks and gums to shreds!

I'll fetch that manifold down to yer Garage Day, and you can examine it minutely and whinge and moan about it and demand a discount. Well if you don't ask...

Bernard
27-02-2018, 13:54
Delivered a couple of weeks ago... started to take off the bright works etc
ALL rubber is perished !
The USA Bumpers and shock absorber assemblies must come in at almost 40kgs !!... unbelievable !

However the shell is in very good nick... fortunately !

Bought an original hardtop which is still over near Dublin.... so if you go on holiday to Ireland don't forget to fit your roof rack !!

Cheers

Phil

Lancialulu
27-02-2018, 17:06
Bought an original hardtop which is still over near Dublin.... so if you go on holiday to Ireland don't forget to fit your roof rack !!

Cheers

Phil

A few of us are going to Ireland in April to do the Irish Lancia Club annual rally! (see FB). Trouble is we are all going in small Coupes....

Normb666
27-02-2018, 19:24
Tim, just cut it up into suitably-sized chunks and share it out among the attendees. It'll be fine with a bit of duct tape. :)

Lancialulu
28-02-2018, 07:46
Tim, just cut it up into suitably-sized chunks and share it out among the attendees. It'll be fine with a bit of duct tape. :)Good idea!

Bernard
28-02-2018, 09:51
No No No...... just cut the roof off the coupe and strap the 124 hard top on !!!......... job done !

Longtimefan
28-02-2018, 11:15
Why doesn't one of the Irish travelers just turn it over and paddle it back Coracle style !!!!

Guy Mayers
28-02-2018, 13:10
Just take the Spider roof off Phil, drive the car to Liverpool, ferry to Ireland, bolt it on, turn around and drive home!

Guy

Bernard
28-02-2018, 15:11
Just take the Spider roof off Phil, drive the car to Liverpool, ferry to Ireland, bolt it on, turn around and drive home!

Guy

Only one problem with your statement Guy.............. its the "drive" word !

Guy Mayers
28-02-2018, 17:06
Okay, get Helen to drive, towing you in the spider? ������

Bernard
07-03-2018, 13:23
Sharp tongue? That's an understatement....when she yawns you can see a stamp on it that says "Wilkinson Sword"...dunno how she's not ripped her cheeks and gums to shreds!

I'll fetch that manifold down to yer Garage Day, and you can examine it minutely and whinge and moan about it and demand a discount. Well if you don't ask...

Hope you are still coming down Norm.............. the 44 IDF's have arrived !!!

Bernard
07-03-2018, 13:30
Update
Most of the outer lights and brightwork are off.
Called up to see Guy Croft last weekend to see about and "nice" engine.... had a good morning with him talking about options... looking for 160/170BHP
Wheels and tyres now ready any waiting... a bit early for tyres but DT were having a sale !!!!!
Bits and bobs off ebay are rolling in so I won't have to have so much waiting time as I have done on previous projects.
Engine is nearly out..... might be out tonight before bedtime !
131 gearbox has been found by GC... just waiting to get it
That's about it for now
Cheers
Phil

Normb666
07-03-2018, 14:36
Ah, yeah, Phil, meant to tell you: about that manifold...ahem...

Ha, it's OK, it's on a shelf in the shed with your name on it. I even thought I'd save you some time so I covered it in a layer of crud to match the rest of the car. But that's what mates are for, innit? ;)

Bernard
07-03-2018, 15:12
[QUOTE=Normb666;39439]Ah, yeah, Phil, meant to tell you: about that manifold...ahem...

Ha, it's OK, it's on a shelf in the shed with your name on it. I even thought I'd save you some time so I covered it in a layer of crud to match the rest of the car. But that's what mates are for, innit? ;)[/QUOTE

what a plonker !... lol

Fingers
07-03-2018, 16:53
What's the advantage of the 131 gearbox, stronger, better ratios? Does it bolt straight in? Hadn't heard of this being done before, good idea.

Normb666
07-03-2018, 18:46
Thanks, Del Boy... :-P

Bernard
07-03-2018, 19:52
What's the advantage of the 131 gearbox, stronger, better ratios? Does it bolt straight in? Hadn't heard of this being done before, good idea.

Hi Fingers
yes the 131 box is much stronger than the 124... Don't know much about the ratios tho but I guess they should be OK for what I need....
I have read reports on the factory prepared rally cars and the ratios were very low... The top speed was 80mph flat out in top !.... That was the way they were kept competitive on tight twisty events.... Don't know what the final drive ratio was.... Must get round to reading that book I have just bought ..... It's all in there !!

cheers
phil

Bernard
07-03-2018, 19:57
Well I guess you all need to be advised that wifey Helen has christened the 124.......

after I had said that "she doesn't look much at the minute but she will be beautiful when she is finished"

so..... Splash the holy water Norm... Her name is "Fiona"........ Fiona the Fiat

Fingers
07-03-2018, 19:59
I've got lots of books like that too, never get around to having a proper read.

This guy's done a few videos on John Campion's cars https://youtu.be/YdL6DKLdZto. Similar thing, the gearboxes are set up for acceleration not top speed, interesting to watch, flat out at 60mph. You'll have to hunt through them for the Fulvia and 131.

A 124 spider has always been another on my list of cars I'd like to own..and modify just like you are. Looking forward to learning a thing or two.

Normb666
07-03-2018, 20:19
I say, "Fiona the Fiat". Good grief, posh Nottingham totty...then you see the car....

I actually read that post as you referring to Helen, saying "she doesn't look much at the mo but she'll be beautiful when she's finished" and she christened the car after that...I was expecting with a sledgehammer, and wondered briefly why you still lived. Then I got the gist of what you meant...phew!!!

ironman523
08-03-2018, 22:41
IF I come to your garage day Phil we can see how many parts your new toy and my new toy share, not many I'll wager as mine is mostly from Japan :-)

Bernard
09-03-2018, 06:28
IF I come to your garage day Phil we can see how many parts your new toy and my new toy share, not many I'll wager as mine is mostly from Japan :-)

Nice one Rob !.... Will look forward to seeing it.... Yep not much parts sharing there I think!!

Bernard
11-03-2018, 14:52
Updates so far....

Engine went to Guy Croft on Friday after it was jet washed off...... Bloody caked in oily crap !
Exhaust off
propshaft out
gearbox out
bumpers and and other unessesary scrap metal taken to the tip

the engine waterways, thermostat etc were almost completely blocked !
however at first inspection over at Guy's the bores are fine, crank is fine, head looks ok.... So it looks like I have the basis of a good engine.

under the car the under seal in certain areas is peeling off and revealing almost perfect factory finish black paint. But it has had a bump in the past, nothing serious but there are a couple of areas that need a better repair.
So will peel the rest of the underseal and redo it.

Next Friday I go to Whaley Bridge to pick up the 131 gearbox.

cheers
Phil

Guy Mayers
11-03-2018, 16:24
Happy days Phil - mine was just like that too, lovely black finish under a layer of underseal. I removed all mine too, it had failed in a few places and came off in sheets but other spots just took forever. The only rust I found on the underside of mine was a box section under the left side footwell that had been crushed when used as a jacking point and some in the left chassis rail where the steering box is bolted. It's a three layer construction there and fortunately was confined to the outer layer. The idler side was fine.
I've not found much in the way of spare parts for the 124, sold what I had years ago but i have found a new, never fitted distributor driven cog if that's any use? Maybe a set of points and a condenser from a Lada that's 124 derived too.
Guy

Bernard
11-03-2018, 16:38
Happy days Phil - mine was just like that too, lovely black finish under a layer of underseal. I removed all mine too, it had failed in a few places and came off in sheets but other spots just took forever. The only rust I found on the underside of mine was a box section under the left side footwell that had been crushed when used as a jacking point and some in the left chassis rail where the steering box is bolted. It's a three layer construction there and fortunately was confined to the outer layer. The idler side was fine.
I've not found much in the way of spare parts for the 124, sold what I had years ago but i have found a new, never fitted distributor driven cog if that's any use? Maybe a set of points and a condenser from a Lada that's 124 derived too.
Guy

Thanks Guy... Any parts are most welcome!
Yes the underseal thing is quite weird.... There has been no adhesion.... Hopefully the stuff we use now will bond better.

Guy Mayers
11-03-2018, 16:40
I'll put them in the car for the garage day. If you want them sooner let me know?

Bernard
11-03-2018, 16:46
I'll put them in the car for the garage day. If you want them sooner let me know?

Garage day will be fine thanks
cheers
Phil

Bernard
13-03-2018, 12:05
For Normy... you have a private message !
Cheers
Phil

Normb666
13-03-2018, 18:19
Just seen it and replied mate :)

Bernard
15-03-2018, 10:54
Just seen it and replied mate :)

Norm
Parcel arrived..... you are for sure a star !!!:cool:
Thanks very much
Will sort out the beer tokens at the garage day
Cheers
Phil

Normb666
15-03-2018, 12:11
Well the parcel might have been nice, but was what's inside it OK??? ;)

No need for beer tokens. It's just an old part I was never gonna use that's been hanging around for 30 years - just glad it's finally of use! ;)

Bernard
15-03-2018, 12:28
Well the parcel might have been nice, but was what's inside it OK??? ;)

No need for beer tokens. It's just an old part I was never gonna use that's been hanging around for 30 years - just glad it's finally of use! ;)

Yep all inside was ok... including dead spiders !

Cheers again Norm

Phil

Normb666
15-03-2018, 12:45
Told ya...anyway, now you can start a Dead Spider collection (including the big one you already had!) ;)

See you at yer Garage Day!

Bernard
11-05-2018, 19:53
Well progress so far...
Engine rebuild going on well up at Guy Croft Race Engineering
Fiat 131 Gearbox purchased
Hardtop collected from Dublin
Dropped the axle off today
Collected a load of parts from Middle Barton Garage today

it seems that it has had new discs and calipers fairly recently !
When I got the car home it wasn't sitting right at the back.... Now found that there were two different tyre aspect ratios!!...good job the tyres are scrap.

Bernard
20-05-2018, 21:27
Uncovered the inner chassis sills this weekend..... They are like new !...... The more I uncover the more I'm impressed with the car....so solid....... Apart from all the rubber bits.
Recently It also appears to have had new discs all round and new rear calipers.
The axle is aback together with new brake pipes etc.

unfortunately have been distracted by Nellie running HOT..... So she is also in bits at the mo !

cheers
Phil

ProtoTipo
21-05-2018, 08:00
Here's another:
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C991628

Bernard
21-05-2018, 11:28
Here's another:
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C991628

That's where mine came from Chris

ProtoTipo
21-05-2018, 14:58
That's where mine came from Chris

Ahh?
It's nice when you start looking closely at a car you've just bought and it gets better, rather than the other way round?
I had an Opel GT from Arizona. You take the 'fried trim' on the chin, when there's no rot?

Bernard
21-05-2018, 15:14
Ahh?
It's nice when you start looking closely at a car you've just bought and it gets better, rather than the other way round?
I had an Opel GT from Arizona. You take the 'fried trim' on the chin, when there's no rot?

Exactly.... even the nuts and bolts, once cracked you can take them off with your fingers !

For me no welding is the target !... nuts and bolts I can handle !......... would certainly consider this sort of project again

Bernard
13-08-2018, 08:09
Well the Fiat project is still limping along....my last find within the car inside the rear valance was these chaps...13524

after investigation it turns out they are Brown Widow nests!!...... Fortunately mother was dry and crispy !!....which is lucky as I hate spiders....... So I have spiders in my Spider....

axle has has been reconditioned, rear bumper shock absorbers are out.....should be able to get back on it once Nellie is back on the road.

Normb666
13-08-2018, 08:34
Well that's your rebuild brought to a screeching halt then - once the environmentalists, wildlife lovers and tree-huggers find out your car's a home for exotic species there'll be some sort of preservation order slapped on it and you'll have to keep it exactly as it was found. You'll be lucky if they even let you fire it up and run it up and down the drive...see, shoulda bought that Beta Couple from Richard ;)

Stratos Fear
13-08-2018, 09:24
Are you sure it was the mother spider who was brown and crispy ? It could have been Father spider killed by the "widow" after the rumpy pumpy.

Bernard
13-08-2018, 20:34
Thankfully the Beta Coupe is sold !!.... Not let on to the tree huggers and the wildlife lovers just yet !!..
I'll keep my eye out for the mother....hammers are at the ready !

fitted bumpstops and pulled a little more underseal off.....perfect black paint underneath again

Also so axle is back in place....so it's coming on...slowly!

Normb666
13-08-2018, 21:51
Looking Good, Phil! And must say that Fulvia in the background looks a bit smart...and is that a Play-Doh coloured MGB behind it?? Where do you find 'em! (...as if I didn't know...)

Bernard
14-08-2018, 09:55
Looking Good, Phil! And must say that Fulvia in the background looks a bit smart...and is that a Play-Doh coloured MGB behind it?? Where do you find 'em! (...as if I didn't know...)

Both sourced from a shark in Manchester...... a young Arthur Daly in the making..... dodgy bloke ... smiles when he's taking your money !!...LOL........... I will inform the current Mrs Dib Dob that her car is Play-doh coloured... I'm sure she will be pleased !

Normb666
14-08-2018, 10:47
Oh I know him - operates out of a dingy lock-up unit, next to a couple of oily places with guys with big heavy implements. Think they call him "Richard the Lying Tart" or summat ;)

Bernard
14-08-2018, 11:18
LIKE IT !!!

Normb666
14-08-2018, 11:49
Ha, just thought of that, decided it was worth sharing - even if it did mean one less mate! (down in the minus numbers now) :)

Bernard
16-09-2018, 16:30
Resent progress !
Cleaned up the boot.
Increased the tension on the boot springs.
Took soft top off, seats out, carpet out, fuel pipes out
Scraped all the brittle sound deadening off... painted and refitted hole plugs... plus a few other bits

Bernard
13-12-2018, 09:14
Just a few pics of further progress... not much really... dash out, screen off and started to fit bonnet lamp pods.... however the curves are all wrong ! so I have started the surgery.
Also the wheel arches did not have enough flange to attach to the body so they have been extended courtesy of LB.... but after further inspection the curve on the arches is not right anyway so there will be surgery required here too !! .... The fibreglass arches and lamp pods are a bit disappointing as they were purchased from a well known Fiat Rally Dealer in Belgium.
The Dash is cracked in several places so this will be filled and covered with Alcantara

Cheers
Phil

Normb666
13-12-2018, 11:51
Excellent work, Phil - once you've got the whole thing disassembled into its constituent parts you should be able to get a fair few bob for it all on Ebay! ....er, that IS the idea, innit....?

john
13-12-2018, 12:56
Nice work Phil. Interesting stuff.
It's a real shame when you buy stuff which is supposed to fit and it doesn't.
Still,it looks like your surgery on the lamp pods is fairly straightforward. In the past I've used the "Bridge a gap" type fibreglass filler to hold the revised shape of parts like this. Obviously when secure you can then remove the pod and attack it from the inside with some proper resin and mat to make the gaps up permanently.
Not trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs of course. I'm sure you are fully on top of it! Just a note for anyone else trying something like this for the first time.

Bernard
13-12-2018, 18:20
Excellent work, Phil - once you've got the whole thing disassembled into its constituent parts you should be able to get a fair few bob for it all on Ebay! ....er, that IS the idea, innit....?

I haven't a clue where all the parts go back..... hope you would help me Normy ?

Bernard
13-12-2018, 18:22
Nice work Phil. Interesting stuff.
It's a real shame when you buy stuff which is supposed to fit and it doesn't.
Still,it looks like your surgery on the lamp pods is fairly straightforward. In the past I've used the "Bridge a gap" type fibreglass filler to hold the revised shape of parts like this. Obviously when secure you can then remove the pod and attack it from the inside with some proper resin and mat to make the gaps up permanently.
Not trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs of course. I'm sure you are fully on top of it! Just a note for anyone else trying something like this for the first time.

Hi John....At least when the pod on the drivers side is sorted the passengers side will be much quicker !.... then it will be attack the arches !!

Bernard
14-12-2018, 16:29
Second pod went on quicker and is also a better shape and fits far better... just minor surgery !

Bernard
20-12-2018, 19:00
The Rear Discs are almost new but they are just standard ones... so taking a lead from the disc's I have on Nellie I made a pattern and cross drilled the disc's for improved heat dissipation..
Hopefully they will be ok !!!

Normb666
20-12-2018, 20:18
They look like replicas of the ones off Bonnie & Clyde's motor... ;)

Bernard
03-01-2019, 09:08
Moved on to fitting the arches over crimbo... !

3 arches required cutting to allow the flange to fit flush with the body
1 arch needed even more surgery .... flange was no where near the correct shape...

When comparing the front arches the dimension front to back was 80mm different !

So all six items (4 arches and 2 lamp pods) required cutting and filling to fit !!

I would have expected just a small amount of sanding and then pop rivet into place ......... no such luck !

Not impressed !

Longtimefan
03-01-2019, 11:23
Your skills are misplaced, you should be applying for gainful employment at the local cosmetic surgery.

gp4124
03-01-2019, 11:55
You would have loved my spider!
I’m selling the moulds.

Enjoy
Chris14234

Normb666
03-01-2019, 13:31
Your skills are misplaced, you should be applying for gainful employment at the local cosmetic surgery.

Robin, are you saying he'd make a right tit of himself?? :) :)

Bernard
04-01-2019, 08:21
I did see your car for sale........... and was REALLY tempted !!!
mine will probably not look as nice but should go pretty well !

You would have loved my spider!
I’m selling the moulds.

Enjoy
Chris14234

Bernard
04-01-2019, 08:22
Robin knows that Tit's come in pairs......... you can be the Left one Normy !

Robin, are you saying he'd make a right tit of himself?? :) :)

Normb666
04-01-2019, 10:48
Haha, I did ponder that but in the end....I left tit alone :-P

Bernard
19-02-2019, 17:37
Well... shall we say that "steady" progress has been made over the last couple of months !

Machined Polyurethane (90A Shore) upper and lower trailing arm bushes, fitted / bodged the wheel arches in place, Panhard Rod installed, wire brushed and painted various parts.

Next up is fit Front Suspension up, Rear Trailing arms etc

Next Job I have on is transporting Norm's Strat !!

Cheers

Phil

Guy Mayers
19-02-2019, 18:45
All looks so familiar! Hope you're going to blank off the side indicators and give Eric a good dusting!

Bernard
19-02-2019, 19:13
All looks so familiar! Hope you're going to blank off the side indicators and give Eric a good dusting!
Yes on both counts

Normb666
19-02-2019, 20:09
Coming along, innit? Bet you're chuffed!

Have you still got that "fluff" (for want of a better word) from machining the bushes? Only, you could make a great Ronald McDonald wig out of it :) :)

ProtoTipo
20-02-2019, 07:56
Have you still got that "fluff" (for want of a better word) from machining the bushes? Only, you could make a great Ronald McDonald wig out of it :) :)

Now look what you've made me do Norm?

Bernard
20-02-2019, 08:16
Chris
I'm sure you can do a lot better with Elton "Norm" John.....
Yes Normy this photo is saved in a safe place for future use !

ProtoTipo
20-02-2019, 08:55
Look what you made me do Phil:

Normb666
20-02-2019, 20:18
Gosh, that wasn't at all predictable, was it.... :)

Longtimefan
20-02-2019, 22:16
Bl---y brilliant Chris, Carol has just collapsed on to the floor, she can't stop laughing and crying at the same time at Norm's frizz. It should go well with his Banana coloured project. You can just imagine the conversation when he's pulled over by the fuz in Liverpools Strawberry Fields.

Never mind Norm, we'll raise the wind to bail you out.

Normb666
21-02-2019, 09:04
Fortunately I'm good-looking enough to be able to pull off any kind of tonsorial fantasy...the reason I don't wear wigs (except at air museums, apparently) is so I don't upstage others too much.

...honest :) :)

ProtoTipo
21-02-2019, 09:57
Gosh, that wasn't at all predictable, was it.... :)

'Sorry Norm, I was well and truly teed up for that one.
If it made Carol laugh?...

Normb666
22-02-2019, 10:32
Don't worry, Chris...I know it was the voices wot made you do it :)

Bernard
05-03-2019, 16:56
Update
Front suspension and anti roll bar fitted..
and
Dash panel finalised... 3 more gauges to get and 1 switch.....thanks to Craig and Lydia for getting my .dxf file laser cut !

Bernard
23-03-2019, 10:54
Gauges now sourced and fitted... calling this a draw !

Normb666
23-03-2019, 16:38
That looks good. Did it originally use gauges off a 124, then? :rolleyes: :p ;)

Guy Mayers
24-03-2019, 15:58
Thought it a little odd that I had 3 of the special bolts Phil. Just found the fourth one!

Guy

Bernard
24-03-2019, 19:20
Thought it a little odd that I had 3 of the special bolts Phil. Just found the fourth one!

Guy

great stuff !!!.... Cheers Guy

Bernard
12-07-2019, 15:31
Not much prgress on the Fiat as I am waiting for the paint shop !!
However I have just picked this up from Guy Croft Race Engineering...
Plus competition clutch assy, complete oil cooling system, Fuel pump etc etc
Might be some time before it fires up tho' !!

Phil

ProtoTipo
12-07-2019, 16:58
Not much prgress on the Fiat as I am waiting for the paint shop !!
However I have just picked this up from Guy Croft Race Engineering...Phil

Awesome!
Mmmmm..... IDFs...

David J
12-07-2019, 17:56
You can always tell it’s a Guy Croft engine by the red pint applied to all the important nuts and bolts, I bet you are looking forward to getting fired up.

David

john
12-07-2019, 17:58
It looks mega Phil.

Bernard
12-07-2019, 20:21
Yes was really impressed with Guy's attention to detail... amazing, but if you have served time with Brian Hart on F1 engines this is the standard.

It will be some time before it's fired up but he supplies a fully detailed explanation of how the start up procedure should be done, down to the "Nth" degree !

Once it's been started and run for a while it will be off to Northampton Motorsport.

But first the next big thing engine wise will be an exhaust system but Guy even supplies his own silencers (2) for someone to make the system from !!!

Cheers

Phil

Normb666
12-07-2019, 20:45
David, I think Phil's already fired up... :)

That motor looks ace - I particularly like the inlet manifold. Wherever do you get stuff like that these days?? ;)

Congrats Phil, hope you've got enough dosh left to buy a round on the Run next month...haha!

LPH_UK
13-07-2019, 00:07
That looks ace!

Bernard
13-07-2019, 08:17
It won't be the most powerful unit that Guy has built.... I believe that would be 16v units around 250/260 BHP NA.
Mine will hopefully be around 200BHP and of course it's only 8v but it will be quite torquey..
It also has lots of parts that Guy has developed over the years specifically for this engine, Pistons, rods, cams, valves, sump (big wing with internal flap doors) etc etc... list is endless.... a real wealth of knowledge on the Lampredi twin cam.

I'll stop ar*e licking now !!...LOL

Cheers
Phil

john
13-07-2019, 08:32
Phil a*se licking is fully acceptable where appropriate.

Bernard
14-02-2020, 09:38
Well.... where were we ????............ Ahh yes the paint job...... Well Dave the paint took me on my word that it was not a rush job !!!!.... LOL

However she is now ready for collection hopefully later today or tomorrow....

john
14-02-2020, 10:09
Beautiful.

Stratos Fear
14-02-2020, 16:10
That's going to look very smart when finished ! Nice Job

Bernard
14-02-2020, 16:12
That's going to look very smart when finished ! Nice Job............Thanks,.. I hope so !..... fetched her back from the paint shop this afternoon.... I will post more photo's shortly

Normb666
14-02-2020, 20:47
Like the stripes - very Italian! Looking good!

That's actually why my car's yellow, to match the stripe up my back. ;)

Bernard
14-02-2020, 21:25
Hey Norm........ Thought the yellow stripe was in relation to Leah...... wondering what she is going to berate you for next !

As you know Helen has a habit of naming cars...... so as I collected the car from the paint shop today the Fiat 124 will be known as "Valentino"....... and she was sober at the time... but not anymore !!!! currently catch BIG ZZZZZ's .... Later !

westonTB
15-02-2020, 13:04
Wow! (also perfect name) Nice one:).

Bernard
15-02-2020, 14:27
Fitted a couple of "pretty bits" before starting to clean up !

Bernard
15-02-2020, 14:29
Side repeaters are Fiat... not period and probably not in the right place but much better than the huge American items.

ChrisCar6
15-02-2020, 15:12
Side repeaters are Fiat... not period and probably not in the right place but much better than the huge American items.
You could Stratos ones on, just to match the fleet.

Neil63
15-02-2020, 22:29
As others have said looks beautiful and perfect name from Helen. Looking forward to the build pics. Wishing you all the very best on what will surely be a gorgeous and desirable piece of art.

Fingers
18-02-2020, 04:23
I really like that, always had a soft spot for the spider.

NoCorseChris
18-02-2020, 20:04
That’s looking lovely Phil

Bernard
02-03-2020, 20:13
Arches were screwed into place, now removed the screws, drilled out and fitted soft Tri-Fold Aluminium mandrel rivets...
Then there's the glory shot of the spot's (not wired in yet... just couldn't resist seeing what it will look like)159541595515956

Longtimefan
02-03-2020, 21:11
Phil, I like the contemporary designer parts shelf on the right in the last shot!!!!!

Robin

ChrisCar6
02-03-2020, 23:08
Very nice!
If you didn't put the scissor jack so high, you wouldn't need teh ladder to work on it. :p

Bernard
03-03-2020, 07:00
Very nice!
If you didn't put the scissor jack so high, you wouldn't need teh ladder to work on it. :p

Need ladder as I'm a short Ar*e !

Bernard
28-03-2020, 16:52
Bit more getting done recently.. had to improvise with some break pipe to the screen washer system tho' as the kit I bought didn't have a long enough pipe in..!

Fingers
30-03-2020, 09:46
I like the fact you've got 8 lights on a spider.

Bernard
30-03-2020, 12:53
I like the fact you've got 8 lights on a spider.

LOL........ It's a very childish 70's thing !!!..... just love 'em !
As a youth it didn't matter so much that it didn't go fast... it just had to look like it did (and spotlights and mudflaps were cheaper than expensive engine mods !!)

ah_sprite
30-03-2020, 15:03
As a youth it didn't matter so much that it didn't go fast... it just had to look like it did (and spotlights and mudflaps were cheaper than expensive engine mods !!)

Ah, a man after my own heart!

In my defence, I think it was the lights that helped us to our recent result of 2nd overall on a recent night rally - the asthmatic 1200 8v motor certainly didn't! :p

Normb666
30-03-2020, 15:13
...don't forget the asthmatic driver too.... ;)

124's looking ace, Phil! Hope you're installing some kind of mega-alternator or something from Mr. Fusion for when you switch them on! Er...you ARE gonna switch them on, aincha??

Bernard
30-03-2020, 18:56
124's looking ace, Phil! Hope you're installing some kind of mega-alternator or something from Mr. Fusion for when you switch them on! Er...you ARE gonna switch them on, aincha??

of course I will switch them on...... One at a time !

Bernard
30-03-2020, 18:59
Has anyone fitted exterior door handles to a 124.....???...... They are a mare.. Granted the ones I fitted are repro ones but they are very accurate... Just a Bugger to fit.... Got there in the end though

Bernard
31-03-2020, 11:04
As previous... I had to make a small washer with internal and external tang's as one of the original door handles had dissapeared !.. really fiddly but it worked !

ProtoTipo
31-03-2020, 11:23
These outer handles are shared with some (non Duetto) Alfa Spiders:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Spider-2000-1980-N-S-Door-Handle/283693160609?hash=item420d6e18a1:g:vx0AAOSwwN1d4TcY

Or if you want to spend a fortune, Ferrari 400s and Fiat Dino Spiders.

Normb666
31-03-2020, 13:46
Well done Phil, knew you'd get a handle on it. :-P

Are you also going for keyless entry? - i.e, the locks don't work? ;)

Bernard
31-03-2020, 18:53
Bit more done today.. New side window seals fitted and installed, then shaped the ally radiator mounting plates after finalising the position as this radiator is slightly deeper than the original... so it was in - out - in - out..... yes Norm in out shake it all about !!.... just a couple of plates to make then it will be finished (radiator mounting that is !)

Longtimefan
31-03-2020, 19:10
Chrome's good, is that you? reflected in the left hand bezel, in a red jacket and a pom pom hat.

Bernard
02-04-2020, 19:49
Robin...... are you keeping up with your medication ??

Water radiator now fully fitted - also oil cooler radiator fitted after making the mounting brackets.... now that they are in the final position the twin fans have been ordered.

Next job ... I am going to make new door cards as the originals are pants !... I have ordered the card and the Diamond pattern padded vinyl........ so Stanley knife and glue are at the ready !

Cheers

Phil

Normb666
02-04-2020, 20:18
Phil, he's right, y'know - there's a red blob that deffo looks like you ;)

Or, it could be blood from the cut on the back of your hand after mauling about in the dark depths of the front end, and all the nasty sharp edges...?

Bernard
03-04-2020, 20:32
Phil, he's right, y'know - there's a red blob that deffo looks like you ;)

Or, it could be blood from the cut on the back of your hand after mauling about in the dark depths of the front end, and all the nasty sharp edges...?

Kept the blood letting to a minimum today... Re routed the battery cable to allow the fitment of a isolation switch in the cabin, then removed the servo and master cylinder which is eventually being replaced with a new unit.
Whilst doing this I have now decided to pull back all the carp and paint the engine bay as this really lets the rest of the car down, so will start stepping back tomorrow.

Bernard
13-04-2020, 17:45
Bit more progress...

Painted engine bay, fitted the radiator fans, oil cooler and made new door cards...1609216093160941609516096

Then there's the wiring..............

john
13-04-2020, 18:08
Eeuww, yuk! Not nice wiring to find Phil.
But very satisfying sorting it out.

Bernard
26-04-2020, 10:56
Dash now temporarily fitted... still a bunch of wiring to sort..16201

Plus this is the back of the "Factory fitted Console"..!!!16202

Lancialulu
26-04-2020, 18:00
What is that in the corner - a Fulvia 3 with strangely flared wheel arches....???? Explain!

ProtoTipo
27-04-2020, 07:35
What is that in the corner - a Fulvia 3 with strangely flared wheel arches....???? Explain!

It's a low light S2 Tim.

Lancialulu
27-04-2020, 08:11
It's a low light S2 Tim.LHD and Fulvia3 seats from what I can see....

Normb666
27-04-2020, 11:25
It's deffo an S2 - white-on-black dials, S2 steering wheel, the S2 "L-A-N-C-I-A F-U-L-V-I-A" badges on the back panel rather than the plastic oblong ones saying "Fulvia 3". Can't remember the registration year but think it was 72. I know, cos I've seen it and had a ride in it when Richard on here had it, before Phil bought it :)

Watched that Car SOS episode a week or two ago where they did an S1 and I got quite sentimental...not over the rust tho! Think anyone else woulda removed the running gear and thrown the rest in a skip (yes, I know, sacrilege these days...) Now, who's got a nice (solid!) Fulvia for sale...

ProtoTipo
27-04-2020, 12:05
Now, who's got a nice (solid!) Fulvia for sale...

My brother has a genuine UK S2 HF for sale.

Bernard
27-04-2020, 12:16
Now, who's got a nice (solid!) Fulvia for sale... ME too

Guy Mayers
27-04-2020, 12:36
I need a bigger garage.....

Guy Mayers
27-04-2020, 12:38
There's a guy near me working on one at the moment - Geoff Turton restored the shell for him, it's going to be a stunning car again very soon!

http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9873.0

Guy

Longtimefan
27-04-2020, 12:57
Phil, is the renovation of the 124 costing that much?? The state of the wiring that you are discovering, is, from memory (Strada, Panda, Uno and others) typical of Fiat original as it left the factory, wiring of the age.

Robin.

Normb666
27-04-2020, 13:49
Aaargh... I said "who's got a Fulvia for sale" in a kind-of whimsical way, but I shoulda known it'd only invite temptation!!!

Phil, I know you said a while ago you were thinking of selling yours, but I thought it was more a "maybe, not really bothered" kinda thing... was I wrong? And sorry for hijacking your thread. Although it's deffo non-Stratos-related :)

Chris, is your brother's that white one with the black bonnet on Car & Classic? Looks fantastic! Looking at current prices I can't believe I actually threw away a genuine RHD HF Lusso bodyshell back in the late 80's (mind you, it'd been bashed really heavily on the side - enough to smash the bellhousing and bend the gearbox input shaft... you can imagine what he shell looked like...!)

ProtoTipo
27-04-2020, 15:04
Chris, is your brother's that white one with the black bonnet on Car & Classic?

No, it's not advertised, because he never has time.
It's an ex HSCC 70s road sport (road registered) race car, 1972 K reg. It would be easiest for it to go back to doing that, but it is a 100% genuine RHD S2 1600 HF.

ProtoTipo
27-04-2020, 15:14
I've had a look at the white one Norm.
It's exactly the same model as that, but with it being a race car, the interior trim has been scattered to the four winds, and it has a big alloy plate where the sunroof used to be.
Mechanically, and rust wise it will be good, but just not a presentable car for road use like Phil's (ex Richard C.) car.

Normb666
27-04-2020, 18:53
Ah, OK, saw it was in Yorkshire, added two and two and got five. You assume right, that it's road cars only for me - couldn't handle the embarrassment of being on track!

Now then Phil... ;)

Bernard
27-04-2020, 19:33
Ah, OK, saw it was in Yorkshire, added two and two and got five. You assume right, that it's road cars only for me - couldn't handle the embarrassment of being on track!

Now then Phil... ;)

This should be another thread !... yes Fulvia is for sale due to lack of use... I have fibreglass arches, wheel spacers for it and also a pair of nice yellow lensed spotlights... you know the car Norm !!

Bernard
04-05-2020, 10:01
Still plodding on with the electrics and other small jobs.... you think that you have all the parts you need then you find you haven't !.... back on Fleabay again !

ProtoTipo
04-05-2020, 10:45
Cromodoratastic!!

john
04-05-2020, 12:35
Plus one for the wheels! They look so good.
Haynes manual in prominent position there Phil.
Are you getting sponsorship?

Bernard
05-05-2020, 08:53
Plus one for the wheels! They look so good.
Haynes manual in prominent position there Phil.
Are you getting sponsorship?

Morning John / Chris
There is an issue with the Haynes Manuals !!... the 2 Books I have found are for models up to 1978 and 1980 Upwards............ mine is a 1979 !... there are several wiring diagrams, for European and American markets, and also there is a difference between the 124 Coupe and Spider !...... however when I have been tracing wires back to source i.e Fuel Tank sender, Lights etc etc not all the the colour combinations match what I have on my car for any of the wiring diagrams !!... and I am convinced that the wiring is original..... So when you are a Mechanical engineer the electrics are taking a little longer than hoped !

Progress / Non Progress yesterday
I had read on some web page somewhere that the engine and gearbox could be fitted to the car as an assembly... so here we go I thought... took the bonnet of and safely stored it away without any drama, then after about 3 hours buggering around, pulling, shoving, giving birth to a 5kg hernia twins etc........... IT DID NOT GO IN !!..
The slightly different shape of the Fiat 131 Sport gearbox combined with the custom sump from Guy C (square along the front edge rather than rounded) prevented this idea... so today I will split them down and fit the engine followed by the gearbox (as the rear mounting for the gearbox is in a different place to the original item)..... that's the plan anyhow.

On the plus side... yes I really like the wheels too !

Cheers
Phil

Normb666
05-05-2020, 09:03
Phil, hope your garage is soundproofed so you don't upset the neighbours with various utterances (crikey, By Jove, I Say, etc.) But good luck with getting the motor/box in!

As for the electrics - might it be an idea to try and source a new loom and install that, rather than bu&&ering about with the one currently in the car? At least that way you'll know which wires go where cos you'll have done them all yourself... as it is you'll never be sure what some of the wires are for (et one of them's a bonnet release, haha!)

Longtimefan
05-05-2020, 14:46
Wiring sounds typical of Fiats of that era, as I have eluded to before. Generally it was, "what have we got a reel of today, OK lets use that one".

Press on regardless !!!

Best of luck Phil.

Guy Mayers
05-05-2020, 16:06
Plus one for making a new loom! The 124 isn't exactly stuffed with electronics and CanBus stuff. A new one is likely to be more reliable plus you'll know where to check for any future faults and can draw your own wiring diagram as you go.
I seem to remember installing the motor and gearbox in one unit on my Spider many years ago. But for the life of me can't recall how. I think it was a case of dropping the body onto the assembly (or more likely having the car on the lift with the enginge/box underneath and then hoisting it up to the right heigh and lowering the lift/car). But I am sure I didn't have the motor in the car and then heave the box in or vice versa!
Guy

Bernard
05-05-2020, 18:58
New loom may be an option..!.... but will keep trying for a bit yet !

Better day today !!.... whey hey... Engine and box in !.... fitted the engine first (the easy bit)... then added to my collection of Hernia's heaving the box in...

westonTB
05-05-2020, 19:27
Wow, looking good, with all the witchcraft and strangeness of 'moderns', give me a Lampredi and set of carbs any day... as well as a V6 Busso obviously.:D.

NoCorseChris
07-05-2020, 21:14
Looking good Phil. Re the wiring, everyone seems to be fitting fancy PDU’s these days. Does away with all the fuses and relays...and no doubt a chunk of the bank balance too.

Bernard
08-05-2020, 17:26
Looking good Phil. Re the wiring, everyone seems to be fitting fancy PDU’s these days. Does away with all the fuses and relays...and no doubt a chunk of the bank balance too.

Bonjour Msr Savage
I didn't reply immediately as I didn't have a clue what a PDU was (quelle surprise)..... Reading a little.... I mean little.... Bit of what it meant and what it would cost.... I will be sticking with the standard wiring with twisted connections and doubtful insulation.... And that's only my input !!!!.....

just about out sorted the tail gearbox mounting this morning, just made a couple of spacers and will bolt it up tomorrow....... Just had a VE Day celebration drink so best not venture into the garage today !!

take care mate
Phil

NoCorseChris
08-05-2020, 18:59
Nowt wrong with a few wires, fuses, relays and switches Phil. PDU’s probably make sense for a high-end motorsport application where the significant cost is less of a factor...and in mass production where you can get economies of scale. I see the new Tesla Y has a PDU among many other cutting edge components.

Retropower used a PDU in both their Stratos build and the “Murray Escort”, but I can’t help thinking a bit of the motivation is ‘cos it’s cool’. And of course, budget no object. No denying they are incredibly flexible things but they need to get cheaper.

john
08-05-2020, 20:54
They'll get cheaper when the Chinese start copying them.........

Bernard
23-05-2020, 16:28
Update on the Fiat Corona..

Moved to the boot area
Stripped out the tank and all of the rest of the items and repainted.
Drained the fuel tank, removed sand and carp by using degreaser and jet wash then repainted...
View inside tank..

This is the Carp

Now painted and refitted..

I will be adding a "Reserve" tank to the passengers side, filler caps already installed, not Abarth position or style......

Fuel pump, filter, reserve transfer pipe and tap, new filler pipe, new breather pipe with anti roll valves... all since fitted.

NoCorseChris
24-05-2020, 21:25
That's not just any carp, it's Californian carp! Stick it on eBay, someone will buy it.

Car is looking great Phil.

Bernard
24-05-2020, 22:07
That's not just any carp, it's Californian carp! Stick it on eBay, someone will buy it.

Car is looking great Phil.

Thanks Chris
Looking back I realise that I did make a big mistake... I only had the Fuel tank and pipes, Wiring Loom and steering boxes to remove and the body would have been completely stripped and I could have had it painted inside and out !!........ so next time..........

NoCorseChris
25-05-2020, 09:05
Hopefully we never stop learning. My example, I recently learned not to try and paint a chassis at home in a tent....

So what's the next project on the production line then?

Bernard
25-05-2020, 11:45
So what's the next project on the production line then?

Apart from the Fulvia Zagato which I am still pondering about selling as a "Project".... nothing really.... But a rust free California car is definitely the way to go !.... so much better when you are not cutting rust out and having to take bolts out with a spanner ALL the way... using far less WD40 etc etc..... so much more pleasurable...

So a Refurb / California car will be definitely the way I will be going... I have enjoyed doing the Fiat, I like the look of the car.... another one ?.. who knows !

NoCorseChris
25-05-2020, 15:34
I watch a load of these car shows where they resurrect a rusted hulk worthy of nothing but scrap, and while I have huge admiration for the skill and effort, I always wonder how long before the tin worm reappears. Can’t be doing with rust myself, it’s so insidious you just never know what’s lurking. A California car is such a great way to go.

Bernard
25-05-2020, 18:54
I watch a load of these car shows where they resurrect a rusted hulk worthy of nothing but scrap, and while I have huge admiration for the skill and effort, I always wonder how long before the tin worm reappears. Can’t be doing with rust myself, it’s so insidious you just never know what’s lurking. A California car is such a great way to go.

Totally agree..... just watch Car SOS (and as you say I admire the skill of Fuzz and his team).... they restored an MGA..... there was ONLY the sub frame left and that was questionable !.... just total RUST !

john
25-05-2020, 19:58
I.bought a basket case MGA Coupe about 30 years ago.
When I totalled up the cost of the replacement panels alone it came to much more than the car was worth. Even then.
I didnt love it that much.

ProtoTipo
26-05-2020, 08:19
I too, agree with what you're all saying.
A restored car, no matter how good the workmanship, will never be as good as a car that's never gone rusty in the first place.
You'd have to replicate the full factory body shell dipping, to get anywhere near the same lifespan.
I suppose restored cars tend not to be exposed to damp, like they were when they were new, so they last from then on, for that reason?

Fabricated steel space frame chassis' are quietly going rusty on the inside too. The rate of decay will be so very slow if kept in a dry garage.

Bernard
18-06-2020, 09:06
Some shots of recent progress, Dash stickers courtesy of Chris J (cheers Chris).
Fuel tank plumbed in apart from the reserve tank I am having made by a friend on here !
Sump guard fitted…. However where they expected the front end to bolt to god only knows !... the black hollow section is my creation and at least provides a solid foundation for it.
Bonnet refitted now the engine is in place, Front lower grille in place.

I am currently looking at the steering again as I have noticed that having cleaned down the steering box some months ago it has now decided to start weeping oil… bugger, plus I needed to replace the transfer steering link and the inner rod ends…. Some months ago whilst the engine was out I decided to leave it until after the engine was fitted as it should be easy enough and access is good….. mistake!

So here we go lets take the whole lot off and get it sorted, a quick glance at the Haynes manual… no where did it say that that removing the steering box was a right bitch as there is a 300mm long shaft protruding inside the car which attaches to the steering column !! Also there is a Pitman Steering arm on the bottom of the steering box, the nut which holds the Pitman Arm to the steering box is 30mm AF……. I have a 32mm AF and 27mm AF … sod’s law at it’s best !
So I have an old large adjustable spanner (cringe)…. Didn’t even move the nut at all, however I did have a length of 40x40 box section lurking in the corner of the garage…. At this point I did think that this could all end in tear’s… so with the adjustable spanner extended by the box section I gave it a tug… nothing !... sh1t or bust time now.. both hands on the box section and one foot against the car and gave it all I’ve got… hey presto it started to move !
The issue now is getting the Pitman Arm off it’s spline’s…. this too is bloody stuck ! this is the job for today !... so I dare say there will be more cursing and blood by the end of the day !..... next report may be coming from a Corona infested hospital ward !

Cheers

Bernard
18-06-2020, 09:10
16429 16430 16431 Screen prepped for refit

Longtimefan
18-06-2020, 17:08
Very impressive Phil, love the dashboard but I think the Sump Guard could be a little lightweight?

ProtoTipo
18-06-2020, 17:29
Very impressive Phil, love the dashboard but I think the Sump Guard could be a little lightweight?

'Seems to be the only one you can get 'off the shelf' Robin.

john
18-06-2020, 17:47
I thought it was the shelf.
Out of Phil's fridge.....

Bernard
18-06-2020, 19:28
'Seems to be the only one you can get 'off the shelf' Robin.

Correct Chris !!..... I couldn't make one for 84 Euro's !!... it is steel and 4mm thick... don't intend to scratch it Robin !!..LOL

Longtimefan
18-06-2020, 19:36
Well don't try landing it on its nose over a Yumpy, it has already got a hole in it !!!

ProtoTipo
15-08-2020, 17:56
Phil,

Did your car have a glove box and lock?
I'm asking for Frederic.