PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Morgan Hill CA

hdfixer
16-02-2018, 21:14
I have been a Stratos fan since I saw an original blue one in London, parked on the street in Soho, in the rain (!), sometime in the late '70's.

I'm interested in the current state of kit builders, and engine options that might be CARB legal, even a crate motor if that isn't too heretical <ducking>, as I'd rather not have to rebuild an old Alfa motor and try to get that registered in CA.

Paul
16-02-2018, 22:41
You can register any engine (new or old) in CA without consideration for CARB if you use the SB100 registration process. You get a choice of deciding to register it by engine type or body type. If using a new engine, simply choose to register it by body type (this is what I did), and you'll be exempt from any smog requirements

Regards
Paul

I have been a Stratos fan since I saw an original blue one in London, parked on the street in Soho, in the rain (!), sometime in the late '70's.

I'm interested in the current state of kit builders, and engine options that might be CARB legal, even a crate motor if that isn't too heretical <ducking>, as I'd rather not have to rebuild an old Alfa motor and try to get that registered in CA.

bosmass
23-02-2018, 22:52
Hi and welcome, That's really interesting Paul.....good advice. I don't know too much about crate engines but I hear you can still find new in box alfa engines and i am sure the toyota engines lister bell uses are still available new?

Fingers
24-02-2018, 02:24
Has anyone looked into getting them out of Japan? It's a popular thing to do down here as it usually works out a bit cheaper, but things have gotten very expensive here. Might not be worth it in the States?