PDA

View Full Version : New member in Scotland

colleyv12
16-03-2018, 08:27
Just purchased an unfinished Litton Corse project.

Will be looking for advice but the car is 70% finished

After IVA I will be swapping the 4 pot for a v6 I'm picking up at the weekend

I found a build manual on line but it's 80 pages. is there a more comprehensive manual available?

Guy Mayers
16-03-2018, 09:20
Why not just go straight for the V6? Is it something to do with donor cars/V5's and avoiding the Q plate? If you're picking up a V6 this weekend grab the logbook that's associated with it and use that instead? I can't comment on build manuals but 80 pages sounds like a luxury! It's a pretty straight forward build mechanically and it if's 70% together then I gues all the important bits are already where they belong? Any problems along the way can be answered by the peeps on this site, someone has been there before you and knows the answers!
Recommend you join the club for full site access (if you haven't already done so) and pop down to Stoneleigh in May for the kit car show where you'll me like minded builders and see a few more cars.
Cheers
Guy

Strat Fan
16-03-2018, 09:43
As Guy says, do the conversion now. Strip it back while it is in its current state and get the relevant engine mounts and modifications welded in place. There will be a diagonal on the RH side of the engine bay that requires repositioning to accommodate the V6. Then when the car gets painted the chassis and all the mods can be done at the same time.
It will also be much easier to integrate the additional wiring of the Alfa while the car is in this stripped back state.
There are a few guys on here who have done the V6 swap into a Litton chassis over the years so plenty of experience and advice to draw on.
Not sure what what your timeframe for the build is and also what the outcome of the recent proposed changes to the IVA emissions regs are so if it is a long term build then a post 1998 Alfa with a V5 doc would be the safest bet engine wise.

Happy building

colleyv12
16-03-2018, 11:16
Thanks for replies.

I was hoping to put it through the IVA with the lancia beta motor, as it is already wired and plumbed in, and I have the v5 reg dated 1978, which fits

As the engine is dated prior to the emissions, I should have no problem putting it through, it may be more than 70%, just lights to fit and wire, and the doors and interior to get drivable

Then I can get it stripped down after registration without worry about period features for the IVA failing

Hope that clarifies things, what do you get extra for the club membership?

Paul Eustace
16-03-2018, 12:55
Hi,
I put my Litton Corse through it's IVA with a beta engine a couple of years ago.

I strongly agree with the advice above but would really encourage you to enter the IVA as soon as possible. I spent time making my car as good as possible prior to the IVA. I really wish I had put it though the IVA in primer and in a very unfinished state.

I would be happy to talk on the phone if you want to hear about the silly things I did wrong on my IVA journey.

My car was one of the very first Litton's and I was given about 6 pages of Allora manual. Next to useless. The guys on this forum taught me all I know about initial set up. I can save you lots of grief on avoiding bump steer for example, assuming you are not an automotive expert.....

colleyv12
16-03-2018, 17:06
Thanks Paul, the advice you have given is the same as I want to try. I was planning on just getting it running and through the IVA with the minimum equipment fitted

I found a pdf online for the Napiersport Corse Build Manual, which with the IVA manual should give me most of what I need, it is more advice on bolt tensile strength and application and other areas I need at present

It has all the lights etc, but they are E3 stamped, not sure if they are still valid. and the windows have no markings from what I can look for.

I can swap engines and other components, but suspension geometry I have not had much experience of.

If I could call over the weekend, that would be great

Regards Steve

Strat Fan
16-03-2018, 17:21
It has all the lights etc, but they are E3 stamped, not sure if they are still valid. and the windows have no markings from what I can look for.

Under the current IVA system the only light that needs to be approved is the rear fog light and this needs to have an "F" or "B" mark. The Aric replica Fog has the relevant "B" on it.

All Glazing needs to be E marked, the front and rear screens generally are in this day and age but with the age of yours then they might not be. It is rare for the side screens to be marked but there are options available and it probably depends where you take it to be IVA'd as to whats acceptable.

There are some new regulations proposed for IVA emissions and if they come into force then the Beta engine will not comply irrespective of its age or V5 so bear that in mind in your build plan.

john
16-03-2018, 19:14
I guess a relevant question is 24 valve V6 or 12 valve?
Both have been done into a Corse "S" chassis but with the 24 valve I'm sure you would need to alter the rear frame of the cradle. I have some pictures which may help in either case.
You should be able to source IVA compliant side windows from Plastics4Performance last known in Ashton, Gtr Manchester.
Look em up online.
If you are more confident getting the car through IVA with the current motor then go for it, but be aware of others advice as you may end up having the car off the road for a long time after IVA carrying out the V6 conversion. Maybe a long long time!😌
Where were you lucky enough to find this?

Strat Fan
16-03-2018, 20:11
I guess a relevant question is 24 valve V6 or 12 valve?
Both have been done into a Corse "S" chassis but with the 24 valve I'm sure you would need to alter the rear frame of the cradle. I have some pictures which may help in either case.

Hopefully post '98 24v!:rolleyes: Personally I'd take the 2.5 24v over the 3.0 12v for many reasons- engine note, parts availability, revability, gearbox ratios, cam belt tensioner, sump depth etc etc:cool:

colleyv12
16-03-2018, 21:05
if I can get the engine started this weekend I will put it through with that. if not I'll swap it out. it will be a 24v 2.5. picking one up on Sunday.

got the car off a Facebook advert down in England.

John. thanks for the advice. the pics would be useful. I have swapped rover v8 into Sierra. v6 into mr2 and 2zz into mr2 roadster. that's where I feel more comfortable.

john
17-03-2018, 09:50
PM me an email address Stephen and I'll send you the photos I have ( not many) of Dave Watson's 24 valve into S chassis conversion. He made a removable rear frame for the engine cradle. Not too onerous if you can do basic fabrication.
The Corse pdf manual was uploaded by Tom McClintock in the states I believe.
It's not brilliant but better than nothing.
This is the place to ask questions as the fount of knowledge here is almost unlimited.
As regards bolt tensile strengths I think if you use 10.9 cap heads for everything you possibly can then you can't go far wrong. Especially for suspension applications I would buy the bolts " over long" and cut them down to the length required. I maintain that for suspension no portion of the bolt in shear should be threaded, so you need to buy longer bolts with a longer portion of smooth shank.
Others may think I'm being a bit finnicky!

colleyv12
17-03-2018, 20:50
paid to upgrade my membership to full

spent all day on the car and got a lot done. will start a new thread when I can access the few sections.

1 question. the car came with corbeau seats. is it ok to have 4 point harnesses for the iva?

Strat Fan
17-03-2018, 21:26
1 question. the car came with corbeau seats. is it ok to have 4 point harnesses for the iva?

Yep, 4 points are fine.