PDA

View Full Version : NORTHERN TOUR/DRIVE-OUT - SAT 4th AUGUST 2018

Normb666
05-04-2018, 20:41
OK, all you layabouts and misanthropes, time to consult (insult?) yer calendars again and indulge in some loin-girding, cos after last year's successful gig, I'm trying to sort out another one for this August...

I've been in touch with the SHAP WELLS HOTEL, which is, oddly, near Shap, in Cumbria. After last year it seems most people want to stay the Friday and Saturday nights, so the deal is £55 per person per night for dinner, bed and brekky. That's based on two sharing a room, so if you're on your own there's a £20 single person supplement.
Negotiations are still at an early stage (i.e, I only spoke with them today), so dunno yet what the score is if you only want to stay one night, but it's something I'll be asking about as we go. The place is well away from...well, just about everything, really, being half a mile down a single-track road off the A6, but it's a nice old place and as it's also quite large, we might have a charabanc-load of hikers to point at while we're there.

I've already got a good idea of the route we'll be doing on the Saturday, and I'm hoping to include an interesting stopping point early on, and fingers X'ed somewhere for a cake and cuppa in the p.m. We'll be going over some of the great North Pennine driving routes and it'll be about 200 miles all in, so as I said, loins will need girding and defences prepared against the locals ;)

Right now all I need is an idea of who's interested - haven't sorted how the deposit works or owt, but I'm hoping it'll be like last year where you ring up and make your own booking and pay the deposit then. So come on, don't be shy, and start practicing that forced grin to try and convince everyone you're having fun...in fact those going to Phil's garage day on Saturday can make an early attempt at that ;)

More to come as things develop...

TTFN

The (Social) Norm

ah_sprite
05-04-2018, 20:47
I'm being dragged to a wedding in Brighton that weekend - big shame!
I'll just hope that nobody else is free that weekend so you have to change the date, Norm ;)

Good on you for organising another one, though!

Normb666
05-04-2018, 22:32
Now come on, Rich, it's blatantly obvious from the timing that you've not even asked if they can change the date of the wedding. I'm most disappointed. Well, OK, I'm not, but it's a shame you can't come...somebody else will have to wear the clown outfit now. Yeah, probably me :)

ChrisCar6
05-04-2018, 22:39
Can you organise getting the potholes fixed Norm?

David J
06-04-2018, 10:12
Norm

I will open up the batting with two for Friday and Saturday.

David

The Slug
06-04-2018, 12:37
We would be interested in that Norm.

Normb666
06-04-2018, 13:39
Excellent, chaps, that's 6 of us anyway :)

Just had some more info from the hotel - same rate even if only staying one night (i.e. £55 per person), and it'll be a £25 non-refundable deposit, which you'll have to leave yourselves by ringing the hotel. But don't do anything yet as all this is tentative and dependent on getting the numbers!

Chris - potholes?? I was working on the basis that you'd bring your own... :-P

Bernard
06-04-2018, 19:52
Just consulted H..... We are up for it Norm please Friday and Saturday night.....

Bernard
06-05-2018, 23:12
Just bumping to the top Norm !

The Slug
07-05-2018, 01:51
Norm how many more cars do we need to secure the hotel and drive?

Folks if you don't have a Stratos to drive we don't mind, its a social event come in what you have and join in the fun..

Normb666
07-05-2018, 13:05
Hi Gang, ta to Ian and Phil for the bump (preferable to a jump, in this instance...) and the call to arms.

At the moment we've got 5 couples staying over, maybe 6 - I wasn't given a "minimum number" for the discount but based on last year's do I reserved 10 rooms. I'd hope we'd be alright if we could get 8, but I'll hang on to see if we get any more takers before going back to the hotel in a week or two.

Like Ian says, doesn't matter what you drive. Last year we had Porsches, Fords, a Citroen, an MGB and even a Nissan Micra, among others. I certainly won't be in a Stratos as it's still just a pile of bits in the garage!

C'mon folks - roll up, roll up, step right this way.... ;)

Karnevil
11-05-2018, 12:35
Would have loved to come to this,could have thrown it open to the TRDrivers group,but I just cannot plan anything at the moment due to me waiting on my bypass operation,should have been 16th April but been cancelled!

Normb666
11-05-2018, 14:51
You can come anyway, we'll probably be doing the odd bypass as part of the route!
Seriously tho, hope you get a date soon and get sorted...must be a big strain waiting on something like that. :(

All,

Just swapped a few emails with the hotel - we're OK for the discount price even with the low numbers. If you've already put your name down, I've told them who you are (and they're STILL letting us come...) so if you call them and say you're with the "Briers" group, they'll relieve you of £25 per person. Also tell them if it's one or two nights - I think we're all down for the Friday and Saturday at the mo'.

Anyone else wants to come, great, more the merrier! But the later you leave it, the less chance of there being rooms left - and don't forget to tell me you're coming too, please ;)

Hotel is the SHAP WELLS HOTEL, and the number is 01931 716628.

More info as I invent it... ;) :)

Bernard
12-05-2018, 20:04
You can come anyway, we'll probably be doing the odd bypass as part of the route!
Seriously tho, hope you get a date soon and get sorted...must be a big strain waiting on something like that. :(

All,

Just swapped a few emails with the hotel - we're OK for the discount price even with the low numbers. If you've already put your name down, I've told them who you are (and they're STILL letting us come...) so if you call them and say you're with the "Briers" group, they'll relieve you of £25 per person. Also tell them if it's one or two nights - I think we're all down for the Friday and Saturday at the mo'.

Anyone else wants to come, great, more the merrier! But the later you leave it, the less chance of there being rooms left - and don't forget to tell me you're coming too, please ;)

Hotel is the SHAP WELLS HOTEL, and the number is 01931 716628 (tel:01931 716628).

More info as I invent it... ;) :)

deposit paid...

Guy Mayers
12-05-2018, 20:14
In Germany that weekend..... Sorry Norm! Next time!

Normb666
13-05-2018, 14:46
Never mind Guy, we'll leave a gap in any group piccies which is where you'd have been...if you've got a cardboard cutout we can use instead, though... haha

Guy Mayers
13-05-2018, 16:37
I'll get one sent to you Norm...

David J
21-05-2018, 13:24
Deposit paid

David

Normb666
18-06-2018, 22:21
Time for an update on this....

Had a run round the route today - clocked 175 miles starting from the hotel and back. Timing-wise I reckon if we start at 10am we'll be getting back about 6pm. I've got a stop about an hour in that I need to make sure of (they were closed today) and another further round. Roads are great fun and there was nowhere that should cause anyone any probs.

Checked with the hotel and there are still a few rooms available if anyone else wants to come along and stop over. Also fine if anyone wants to just do the run - Bob, Martin, you said at the AGM you might be interested? I was only kidding when I said you were trouble last year...OK, I wasn't, but you're still welcome :)

So as they say in all the best circuses (circii?), roll up, roll up, for the time of your lives. Or just "life" if you're not of the reincarnation persuasion :-P

Normb666
25-06-2018, 17:22
And in yet more event news, we're now booked in for a visit to Solway Aviation Museum where you get to be close-up to some cool post-war jets, including Hawker Hunter, English Electric Lightning, Mcdonnell Douglas Phantom and...an Avro Vulcan! And, if you so desire, you even get to sit in yon big thing's cockpit! It's sick squid entry fee, but that's a paltry sum for all those and all the exhibitions there too.
Only thing is, how many will want to spend the day there rather than continue on the run... ;)

Guy Mayers
25-06-2018, 18:48
If I was coming on the trip then I'd be a pig in shit poking my nose into stuff like that! Unfortunately we're in Germany that weekend...
Next time!

Bernard
26-06-2018, 09:50
And in yet more event news, we're now booked in for a visit to Solway Aviation Museum where you get to be close-up to some cool post-war jets, including Hawker Hunter, English Electric Lightning, Mcdonnell Douglas Phantom and...an Avro Vulcan! And, if you so desire, you even get to sit in yon big thing's cockpit! It's sick squid entry fee, but that's a paltry sum for all those and all the exhibitions there too.
Only thing is, how many will want to spend the day there rather than continue on the run... ;)

Sounds good to me !............. however "H" may want to do summat else !... LOL

Normb666
17-07-2018, 14:12
Finally, for all those coming on the Big Gig (and, I suppose, those who're not), here's the route instructions. Kick-off will be 10 o'clock from the hotel, so those not staying over on the Friday will need to be there about half 9ish. On the run, only got us booked in to the one place (the museum) - for eats and drinks I've made a few suggestions in the directions, based on how everyone seemed happy doing their own thing last year. And nowt particular arranged for the Sunday, but that doesn't mean we can't do summat after deciding between us! - although I do have a fairly serious barney pencilled in between me and Leah, if anyone fancies alternative entertainment...

So, attendees from the Club:

Phil & Helen Dolby
David & Pat Jowsey
Ian & Jayne Ford
John & Carol Butterfield
Oh, and me and Leah.

There's another 11 peeps coming as well, so an interesting mix of motors (and people!) Should be a Fun Run!

I'll drop another few lines on here nearer the time, plus any updates on anything that you'll need to know about, but as they say, we're good to go! (and hopefully come back too.)1328213282

Normb666
17-07-2018, 14:15
Ah, it appears that for some reason there are two copies of the directions attached...doesn't mean you have to go round twice (but you can if you want!) Hey ho, never mind! :)

Martin Crikey
27-07-2018, 23:12
Hi Norm
Ok if I tag along for the day. Some starter motor issues so hopefully a few slopes around at the stops.

Cheers

Normb666
28-07-2018, 17:07
Hi Mart,

Sure you can tag along, will you make your way down to the hotel or do you want to join somewhere further north, say at the museum? If you wanted to dive off earlier as well you could peel off at Alston, or even Langwathby if you like.

Should be enough of us about to give you a push if the starter won't play ball :)

Norm

mariner
29-07-2018, 12:41
Hi Norm
I'd also like to join in for part of the day on Sat if that"s okay.
Will meet up with you at the Solway Aviation museum guessing you'll be there around 1030-1100.

Rgds Bob

Normb666
29-07-2018, 21:52
Bob, we're aiming to get to the museum at about 11:00. I'm not sure whether we're paying for entry individually or whether they're just taking the whole lot from my card in one go - should find out early in the week, so keep an eye on the thread. Be good to see yez! :)

Normb666
30-07-2018, 10:49
First cock-up spotted....doing a sanity check of the route versus what I jokingly refer to as "directions", it seems I missed a left turn at instruction (26) - now amended, but it means if you've already taken a copy you'll need to add this one in, or use this new set (attached).

Also created a doc showing where you can fill up (the car, not you!) - hope it makes sense...

Incompetent Norm ;)

Normb666
02-08-2018, 22:34
Final reminder of this weekend's Big Gig - those who're staying over tomorrow, check-in at the hotel is after 3pm and dinner will be at 8 (to give anyone travelling after work time to get there). Brekky is from 7:30, run starts at 10, (hopefully) ends about half 5 and dinner Saturday is half 7. Fancy dress is optional, but would anyone be able to tell the difference anyway...

See y'all soon!

mariner
05-08-2018, 11:27
Hi Norm,

Many thanks for organising the Solway Aviation museum visit a really good and interesting place to meet up with you all.

best rgds
Bob

Bernard
05-08-2018, 12:50
Hi Norm... Many thanks for organising a great weekend again fantastic roads complete with superb evening entertainment...Helen even appreciated the weather you organised..thanks to all those who turned up....great fun again thanks again Phil and Helen

David J
05-08-2018, 15:34
Norm
Thanks for a great weekend, Pat and I throughly enjoyed ourselves. I think you may have discovered a new Fawlty Towers?, however for the cost for the two nights was more than reasonable. Roll on the next North York’s Moors driving adventure in June 2019.

Many thanks David and Pat.

ProtoTipo
05-08-2018, 17:47
Is that a group 4 dashboard in the second shot?

David, ...another Vulcan RC set to do?

Normb666
05-08-2018, 18:35
Hi Y'all,

Thanks to everyone who came along - Bob, Martin, even though you only came and had a mooch round the museum it was great to see you.

I think the route turned out to be particularly top-drawer this time round - I was buzzing for ages afterwards... one of the non-Stratos guys said it was the best I'd ever put together and another said they'd be going back to do it again, and spending a bit more time in some of the places we went through. So even though they won't see this, a humble "ta" from me :)

Phil, yeah, the evening was great too! Lucky we didn't get "ejected" (have I got the right word?...haha, "in" joke!) making so much racket! And David, the hotel made me laugh so much I think we'll use it again next year....particularly loved the collapsing cereal containers :) :) Sure it was a bit shonky here and there, and the average age of the waitresses was about 96 (deffo channelling the Victoria Wood/Julie Walters thing there), but at £55 per person per night for D,B&B it was a bargain. So if anyone wants to do it next year, don't bother with the posh gear, OK? Hahaha!

Anyone else got any pix, let's see 'em (Phil: NOT the Elton John one, or else...!!)

Martin Crikey
06-08-2018, 07:27
Thanks Norm
Really enjoyed meeting up with everyone at the air museum, what a great place and just on my doorstep. You have done a top job. Well done Norm .
Cheers Bob for the starter motor.

The Slug
06-08-2018, 22:58
Well done Norm, great roads really enjoyed it.

Thanks Jayne & Ian

Normb666
07-08-2018, 08:27
Glad you enjoyed it - it was good fun, wasn't it? Hopefully we'll get a few more peeps along next time! (not-so-subtle hint to other members...) :)

Bernard
07-08-2018, 11:40
Hi Y'all,

Thanks to everyone who came along - Bob, Martin, even though you only came and had a mooch round the museum it was great to see you.

I think the route turned out to be particularly top-drawer this time round - I was buzzing for ages afterwards... one of the non-Stratos guys said it was the best I'd ever put together and another said they'd be going back to do it again, and spending a bit more time in some of the places we went through. So even though they won't see this, a humble "ta" from me :)

Phil, yeah, the evening was great too! Lucky we didn't get "ejected" (have I got the right word?...haha, "in" joke!) making so much racket! And David, the hotel made me laugh so much I think we'll use it again next year....particularly loved the collapsing cereal containers :) :) Sure it was a bit shonky here and there, and the average age of the waitresses was about 96 (deffo channelling the Victoria Wood/Julie Walters thing there), but at £55 per person per night for D,B&B it was a bargain. So if anyone wants to do it next year, don't bother with the posh gear, OK? Hahaha!

Anyone else got any pix, let's see 'em (Phil: NOT the Elton John one, or else...!!)

Or else what ???...... but PLEASE don't threaten me with Leah !!!!!...LOL

Here ya go Elton.................

Perfik !

Bernard
07-08-2018, 11:48
More Porkers that owt else....
Great weekend !

Normb666
07-08-2018, 13:43
Well thanks for that Phil, ya b*st*rd, just remember to watch your back in future....oh, did I tell you about the hairline (appropriately!) crack in that 124 manifold...? :-P

Just had a call from the hotel to say Thanks for the feedback we gave them and mentioned we might be back next year...I'll make sure you and H have the "special" room ;)

Good pix tho, particularly like that Boxster Spyder ;) Not so keen on the first one though, strangely :) :)

David J
07-08-2018, 15:15
Nice one Phil. Norm, that look could catch on.

Bernard
07-08-2018, 15:43
Well thanks for that Phil, ya b*st*rd, just remember to watch your back in future....oh, did I tell you about the hairline (appropriately!) crack in that 124 manifold...? :-P

Just had a call from the hotel to say Thanks for the feedback we gave them and mentioned we might be back next year...I'll make sure you and H have the "special" room ;)

Good pix tho, particularly like that Boxster Spyder ;) Not so keen on the first one though, strangely :) :)

you'll get over it Normy ..... it's called taking one for the team !!!.... just think how much joy and hilarity you have bought to many lives !!..... still pi**ing myself !

Normb666
07-08-2018, 19:43
Joy and Hilary?? Who they??? I never brought them! (or bought...) ;) Obviously a pair of Good-Time Girls...

Normb666
08-08-2018, 08:55
Phil, message from Leah - she thinks the Elton pic is great so you're safe :)

I'm waiting for requests to perform (ooer) at various venues, not to mention becoming an icon for the gay community...

Longtimefan
08-08-2018, 11:39
Norm, I think the dolly bird over your right shoulder seems to be saying, "I wish the silly sod would give my mate back her hair and b--------r off, and if he wants to improve his appearance and have his photo taken come back matching the the headless creature"

You all seemed to have had a great time, but Carol & I could not be in two places at once, sorry to have missed it. We were exploring the bye roads of Wiltshire on the very hot Sunday behind the great lump of cast Iron that is a Stag engine with no A/C and the roof on. Extremely good for the slimming!!!!

Robin

Normb666
08-08-2018, 12:37
Hiya Robin, yeah, you missed out at the weekend...it was a blast! Seems you were on a kind of Stag do? ;)

You could be right about the dolly bird - but I couldn't hear her for people laughing...I reckon hair is over-rated meself, although I'm quite attached to my head (don't have a spare) :)

Bernard
08-08-2018, 13:09
Phil, message from Leah - she thinks the Elton pic is great so you're safe :)

I'm waiting for requests to perform (ooer) at various venues, not to mention becoming an icon for the gay community...

Is there such a thing as being "safe" with Leah ????..:cool: