PDA

View Full Version : Things to do between Stratos building activities ...................

Stratos Fear
26-07-2018, 18:52
About 2 weeks ago I disappeared into the Sussex woods and 6 days later emerged with this: -
No power tools were used in its manufacture (apart from a bandsaw to cut the seat) - everything else was done with hand-tools. The spindles and legs were cut from ash logs, shaped with an axe and then on a pole lathe, the seat was cut with an adze and a travisher (look it up!) and the oak armrest was steam-bent with the help of a steam box and some muscle-power. The holes were cut with an old-fashioned brace and bit (anyone remember them?). Needless to say I'm chuffed to bits with the end result.

Havent quite worked out where the seat-belts will attach though !

john
26-07-2018, 19:27
That is a thing of beauty Peter! Big respect.
And I have three braces of varying ages in my reserve toolbox and a good selection of bits. Must admit they have not been used for many a year!
Well done. I love it.

Fingers
27-07-2018, 10:01
And sandpaper pants to shape the seat perfectly to fit you.

Fantastic work Peter, I've always really appreciated steam bent wood, that takes some skill.

Stratos Fear
27-07-2018, 13:50
Thanks Guys - I appreciate your kind remarks. I have to say that apart from Stratos building it was one of the most satisfying things I've done in ages !

john
27-07-2018, 16:05
I repaired a Hupmobile rim once using steam bent Ash stripwood glued and laminated in an MDF jig I made from an undamaged rim section. I couldn't believe how flexible the timber became after steaming for an hour. Completely plastic!
The sailing yacht which sat in the workshop alongside Frederics car for a while was a step too far though and I declined the job!
I'd love to know where you did that Peter. For when the LB is finished of course!

LPH_UK
27-07-2018, 18:00
Looks much more interesting than the en-suite I recently finished re-fitting. I'd been trying to put it off but I started it over 2.5 years ago and I'd run out of excuses......

Stratos Fear
28-07-2018, 15:25
John - my course was with a small operation called Hope Springs Chairs run by Jason Mosseri in a wood near Haywards Heath . He runs about 4 classes a year ( next 2 in September) - or if you want something less rustic ie not in the woods try James Mursell who runs The Windsor Workshop (making Windsor Chairs not located in Windsor - but near Pulborough is Sussex). Both have an online presence so you could google them. James Mursell has written a book on the subject and is longer established but I think Jason's course would be more fun than James (although I havent done James' course)
I had to look up Hupmobile as I hadnt come across them before - but learning these old crafts is great fun and I'll probably follow up with maybe another course next year.

Leigh my project last winter was making a built-in wardrobe under a sloping ceiling - result - job well done - according to Ros, my wife, and some brownie points for more garage time.
I've settled on a routine now which means I get up early and work in the garage from 07:30 to about 10:30 and am then available for other more boring but necessary chores - it's all about getting that balance right isn't it ?

Neil63
28-07-2018, 18:17
Very impressed a thing of beauty Peter. Wood and I never really got on together other than building some decking. I shall certainly look up the courses mentioned. I am currently booking on a 2 day photography course at the National Motor museum in October ( off topic but really trying to broaden my horizons.Cars tick, camera, lighting etc, let’s have a go! )

LPH_UK
29-07-2018, 00:45
Leigh my project last winter was making a built-in wardrobe under a sloping ceiling - result - job well done - according to Ros, my wife, and some brownie points for more garage time.
I've settled on a routine now which means I get up early and work in the garage from 07:30 to about 10:30 and am then available for other more boring but necessary chores - it's all about getting that balance right isn't it ?

Ah but in my house the 'balance' seems to be very unbalanced.....

If the OH comes in from work and carries on working for hours that's perfectly OK and you aren't allowed to even mention it. If I go to the garage for a couple of hours (once our son is asleep in bed and the OH is watching TV or working) then that's not OK for some reason.......

I struggle to understand!