PDA

View Full Version : Rallycross Stratos

CROSS99
06-08-2018, 20:58
Saturday at the Beaulieu Supercar Show, saw the launch of my Stratos for the British Retro Rallycross championship, all being well it will make its debut at Lydden on August bank holiday monday, just awaiting the race engine and gearbox now. In addition to the BRX the car will also be at some of the rounds
of the World Rallycross Championship, including Loheac, in France (1st weekend in sept) in the French Rallycross Legends Series.

john
06-08-2018, 21:20
Lovely! Looks well prepared and a nice colour scheme.
I like your take on the rear louvre. Looks purposeful.
No open louvres at the front?
Is the rad front mounted? If so how do you get the hot air away? Underneath the car?

CROSS99
06-08-2018, 21:27
Rad is at front, and the front has the standard 4 rows of louvres, just not very clear in the picture, and the rear louvres have been enlarged to accommodate the large RS200 style intercooler as the engine is a turbocharged VR6

Normb666
06-08-2018, 21:37
Impressive bit of kit! How come a VR6 motor? Must have been quite the engineering challenge to get that in there and working, and turbo'ed too, but the line in your profile that says "Occupation: MD of XSport Racing" probably means you hit the ground running there ;)

CROSS99
06-08-2018, 22:00
Retro rallycross regulations state that engines are free but it must be a pre 1990 production engine of the same configuration/number of cylinders, and in the same position as the original. The VR6 first came out in 1989, is relatively cheap and far more reliable and powerful than the original Dino engine (which is of course also prohibitively expensive, IF you could find one). It took a bit of engineering, but we have done much harder conversions in the past, This is an old block used purely for the mock up and installation

Normb666
07-08-2018, 07:16
That's excellent, and always good to see something a bit different. Agree about the Dino motor - it's the last thing you'd want in a car like that and you'd end up butchering it to get enough power! Hope you get some good results with it - Lydden's a bit far from me to pop over and see it and say Hi, so let us know how it went!

Bernard
07-08-2018, 10:09
Excellent job !.... Hope the front spoiler doesn't get destroyed over any yump's........

Good luck with this project I guess we will all await the results with baited breath

Cheers

Phil

Stratos Fear
07-08-2018, 14:12
Nice work - very impressive piece of engineering!

CROSS99
07-08-2018, 21:28
Excellent job !.... Hope the front spoiler doesn't get destroyed over any yump's........

Good luck with this project I guess we will all await the results with baited breath

Cheers

Phil

The whole body is in kevlar/carbon, except the front spoiler, which is one layer of glassfibre, and is being regarded as a disposable part

ChrisCar6
07-08-2018, 23:38
Beautiful machine - I look forward to following its exploits.
have you had any problems with these new FIA rollcage regs requiring roof bars and a straight a-pillar tube?

Bernard
08-08-2018, 07:25
The whole body is in kevlar/carbon, except the front spoiler, which is one layer of glassfibre, and is being regarded as a disposable part

Excellent !... good thinking that !

CROSS99
09-08-2018, 00:11
Beautiful machine - I look forward to following its exploits.
have you had any problems with these new FIA rollcage regs requiring roof bars and a straight a-pillar tube?

The car was an ex rally car, so already had a roll cage certificate and MSA logbook, but the new rules do apply to new builds.

john
09-08-2018, 07:16
Only to new builds then John?
So any existing log booked car does not need any remedial work to the cage structure?
Chris started a thread on this subject elsewhere on the forum.

CROSS99
09-08-2018, 21:00
Only to new builds then John?
So any existing log booked car does not need any remedial work to the cage structure?
Chris started a thread on this subject elsewhere on the forum.

I am speaking purely with regards to Retro rallycross, if the car has a roll cage certificate, that is still valid, it is legal, even if the same cage built today would not be, or the chassis must be constructed to comply fully with the MSA spaceframe regulations