PDA

View Full Version : Slight Bo**ocks moment

Bernard
08-08-2018, 20:51
Can someone please refresh my memory...
what are the lower rear wishbone bushes off... Inner and outer...for a Hawk (Nellie)...
also this evening a rear flex brake hose burst whilst at mot station!!...
cheers in advance
Phil

ChrisCar6
08-08-2018, 20:55
Soz, can't help. My money is on Guy or Chris knowing.

Guy Mayers
08-08-2018, 21:07
Failing Chris knowing - Gerry?

Are they the nylon bushes or the rubber type? Time for an upgrade perhaps?

Guy

Lancialulu
08-08-2018, 21:40
mine are nylotron but they were an upgrade from Hawk cars back in the day....

westonTB
08-08-2018, 22:16
Mine are Nylatron on hub part and look like rubber where radius arm joins chassis by tanks. All standard on 2015 Hawk.
Tim.

ProtoTipo
09-08-2018, 07:28
Can someone please refresh my memory...
what are the lower rear wishbone bushes off... Inner and outer...for a Hawk (Nellie)...
Phil

Lotus Elan Phil:
http://www.spydercars.co.uk/elan-2-cables-hoses-pipes-bushings/
https://goo.gl/images/Bh1GiJ
You replaced the bushes in Eric didn't you?
I've never ordered any.

I've got one or two, new bushes loose here, if you need some measurements?

ProtoTipo
09-08-2018, 08:12
Don't quote me on any of this, I'm just trying to jog your memory Phil.

There are two sizes of Elan bush used. I would say these are the two Spyder parts you need:

Inboard End: Elan & +2
01SV003
£8.70

Outboard End: Elan & +2
01SV004
£7.30

On an older Transformer/Hawk, the large bush is used on the inner end of the rear 'A' arm, as well as the front of the rear trailing/tie bar/tension struts and the inner end of the front lower arms. I think the inner end of the top front wishbone too (but the ones I have here is latest spec and upgraded).
The large bush ID fits onto a 1/2" UNF bolt. The OD looks to be 1.063" or 27mm

The smaller one is just the outer end of the rear 'A' arm (2 for each arm) and the ID fits onto a 7/16" UNF bolt. The OD looks to be 0.87" or 22mm

I've got the large bush loose, but not the small one, but have an 'A' arm loose with all bushes fitted.

Bernard
09-08-2018, 08:16
Lotus Elan Phil:
http://www.spydercars.co.uk/elan-2-cables-hoses-pipes-bushings/
https://goo.gl/images/Bh1GiJ
You replaced the bushes in Eric didn't you?
I've never ordered any.

I've got one or two, new bushes loose here, if you need some measurements?

When I posted........... I knew you would have the answer !!.... Cheers !..... I did think Lotus Elan but couldn't quite convince myself !

If you could quickly measure that would be great thanks.

For some reason the passengers side is worse than drivers side ??

Cheers Chris

Bernard
09-08-2018, 08:17
Don't quote me on any of this, I'm just trying to job your memory Phil.

There are two sizes of Elan bush used. I would say these are the two Spyder parts you need:

Inboard End: Elan & +2

01SV003

£8.70

Outboard End: Elan & +2

01SV004

£7.30

On an older Transformer/Hawk, the large bush is used on the inner end of the rear 'A' arm, as well as the front of the rear trailing/tie bar/tension struts and the inner end of the front lower arms. I think the inner end of the top front wishbone too (but the ones I have here is latest spec and upgraded).
The large bush ID fits onto a 1/2" UNF bolt. The OD looks to be 1.063" or 27mm

The smaller one is just the outer end of the rear 'A' arm (2 for each arm) and the ID fits onto a 7/16" UNF bolt. The OD looks to be 0.87" or 22mm

I've got the large bush loose, but not the small one, but have an 'A' arm loose with all bushes fitted.

Great stuff thanks Chris

Normb666
09-08-2018, 12:02
Passengers' side worse? Probably from giving rides to people less lithe than you ;)

Bernard
11-08-2018, 12:57
Me again... Mot also suggested that the steering rack was notchy .....the rack is now out and it seems worse on the bench than it did in the car !!... So she will get a new rack.... Triumph Herald I believe

rear wishbone bushes on order from GH....plus new set of flex brake hoses on order from HEL..

also rubber boots gone on the track rod ends... The number of the rod end is TR7357B...are these MGB ??....I await the Oracles reply.....thanks CJ in advance !!

Guy Mayers
11-08-2018, 18:54
I'll be CJ this time!

Track rod ends are MGB, rack is Herald/Spitfire Phil!

Guy

Bernard
11-08-2018, 19:22
I'll be CJ this time!

Track rod ends are MGB, rack is Herald/Spitfire Phil!

Guy

thanks for the confirmation Guy......don't know what CJ will say about your one upmanship!!...lol
Nearly everything on order now.... Just the track rod ends to order
thanks to all for your help
Phil

ProtoTipo
12-08-2018, 07:57
thanks for the confirmation Guy......don't know what CJ will say about your one upmanship!!...lol
Phil

It's ok, Guy's ownership is a lot longer than mine.

I read some debate the other day on Ferrarichat, as to whether a Ferrari 308's OE track rod ends were BMC or not.
Maybe british car parts aren't so out of place on an Italian car?
I know that a Lamborghini Miura uses a Lucas windscreen wiper motor, rack and wheelbox.

Normb666
12-08-2018, 10:35
...thereby ensuring you can never take them out in the rain, helping to keep the rust at bay...yep, I'm going for the Cynic Of The Year Award :) :)

ChrisCar6
12-08-2018, 11:10
Rimmer do a quick rack for Spitfire/Herald. They used to advertise it as uprated and suitable for competition use, then they backtracked and wrote to everybody who had bought one saying it was only the ratio that had changed and they couldn't support motorsport use and offered a contribution towards a suitable replacement. I am unaware of any such thing other than a custom made jobby.

Bernard
14-08-2018, 14:51
Busy day regarding deliveries today..

Steering rack
Track rod ends
Rear suspension bushes (Courtesy of GH)

just waiting for flex brake hose set

Can get on with Nellie now !!