PDA

View Full Version : Hi to everyone , I want to say hello to all the comunity, need your help to make a decision

pacorron
11-08-2018, 08:57
Looking to build STRATOS since long long time ago, I´m now comited to do it , I have been collected parts all thoses years, I have been in contact with GTO tech, Lister and Hawk , now I need your help to make my final decission and go ahead, I have a short stoke V6 2.0 turbo engine , and also a V6 3.0 america using cylinders and heads from the America with the 2.0 turbo block , I will make a short stroke (almost the same as real V6 dino) but 2.7 liter instead of 2.4, gearbox will use a Bacci Romano LSD , not sure yet about 5 or 6 speed and gear ratios and final gear, I have speelines gr.4 original wheels, fiat x1/9 headlights , steering column , headlights , X1/9 door handles and bits like that.
Gto Tech option with original shell is the way to go, work is just amazing but it has a complete and ridicolous price, spend 50.000 only in the shell looks like a joke so I have forget this option.
The decision is between lister and hawk , I have been and still rallying cars during the last 22 years , so I ´m looking first for a stiff chassis as crucial for me , looking at the pictures looks the Lister has better chassis reinforcement that the Hawk, Someone can help me with this crucial point? next point is consequence of first .... suspension and handling which are the struts options and wich of two has better handling. Thanks to everyone !!

Longtimefan
11-08-2018, 09:10
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get plenty of advice to your questions. I do not have sufficient knowledge to pass comment, but am currently building an LB.

Stratos Fear
11-08-2018, 10:48
Welcome to the forum. The Lister Bell is the newer replica (which I am building) and in my view the sturdier chassis but there are others on this forum who will no doubt argue for the Hawk. If you want a newer design with a relatively straightforward build with many beautifully designed components then I would recommend it - but the decision must be yours. I'm sure the Hawk also has its merits.

Gordon Caro
11-08-2018, 12:25
It is always good to have a new member to the forum and interesting to hear what they want to build. There is much advice here from previous and current builds which may help you but the best thing you could do is book yourself a holiday in the UK and go and visit the two companies. Speak to the owners, see the products, touch them understand the differences. As your venture will cost time and money this may be the best way forward for relatively little outlay . Good luck on your project.

Stephan
11-08-2018, 16:04
I would like to only give some comment on the engine.
An 3.0 bore and a 2.0 stroke will give a much (to much) decreased compression ratio. Or will you use costum made pistons/rods ?
In the past I've made an 2.8 based on a 3.0 bore and 2.5 stroke. That brings CR down from 10.0 to 7.7. I however installed a turbocharger so it worked out well :)

pacorron
11-08-2018, 19:21
I would like to only give some comment on the engine.
An 3.0 bore and a 2.0 stroke will give a much (to much) decreased compression ratio. Or will you use costum made pistons/rods ?
In the past I've made an 2.8 based on a 3.0 bore and 2.5 stroke. That brings CR down from 10.0 to 7.7. I however installed a turbocharger so it worked out well :)

Many Thnks for your advice, I haven't got enough knowledge about this engines range because I never have done any of those , the idea was use the 2.0 crank and block , then mechanize wet 3.0 liners to leave it on 2.0 stroke or maybe a bit less(and so the block will need mechanize) fit 3.0 STD pistons with new rings and 3.0 head mechanized to try to reach 11.5 -12 CR . All this is theory without have done any and with no knowledge about those engines, maybe it can be done or not. Then run the engine with 48 IDF and fit 290/306º cams to try to match as much as possible stratos original dino engine power curve, a shot ratio engine revs in a different way vs long stroke when is not boosted , so that was my idea when I decide to go this way . I repeat all this is theory maybe it cant be done .My idea is try to match as much as possible the soul of a Gr.4 Stratos doing things with 2018 technology.

pacorron
11-08-2018, 19:28
It is always good to have a new member to the forum and interesting to hear what they want to build. There is much advice here from previous and current builds which may help you but the best thing you could do is book yourself a holiday in the UK and go and visit the two companies. Speak to the owners, see the products, touch them understand the differences. As your venture will cost time and money this may be the best way forward for relatively little outlay . Good luck on your project.

Many Thanks Gordon for your advice , I will I´m preparing a trip to LB on September, Hawk look like a car beautifly done perfect fittment and finishing but using a 30 year old chassis design , looking at the pictures looks like LB has more engienering involving his product, I´m looking more for handling and chassis rigidity than other characterustic anyway hawk is not discarded, I belive is more a question about what is wanting final coustumer what make people goes for ne option or the other. that is the clue in my opinion.

pacorron
11-08-2018, 19:30
Welcome to the forum. The Lister Bell is the newer replica (which I am building) and in my view the sturdier chassis but there are others on this forum who will no doubt argue for the Hawk. If you want a newer design with a relatively straightforward build with many beautifully designed components then I would recommend it - but the decision must be yours. I'm sure the Hawk also has its merits.

Many Thanks Stratos Fear I´m sure is a question what each one is looking for

pacorron
11-08-2018, 19:31
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get plenty of advice to your questions. I do not have sufficient knowledge to pass comment, but am currently building an LB.

Many Thanks Longtimefan , I´sure I will