PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension test fitted

tipo158
30-12-2011, 21:22

I've installed the axles and rear suspension and brakes temporarily. Just making sure everything works before I pull it all apart and paint it. To most of you this rear suspension will look strange, it is what Litton, CAE, and Napiersport use.

ChrisCar6
30-12-2011, 21:35
It's a bit like "Where's Wally?"

There he is!

john
30-12-2011, 22:03
The attached shows where the top suspension pivots are known to break away on these old chassis.
Hence Craig and I's work on the rear cradle redesign.
You might want to beef this area up before you paint it.
Other picture shows the new design.

tipo158
30-12-2011, 22:59
It's a bit like "Where's Wally?"

There he is!

Wally's cousin is above him on the pontoon.

tipo158
30-12-2011, 23:09
The attached shows where the top suspension pivots are known to break away on these old chassis.

John, if you have dimensioned drawings, I'd be willing to modify the rear suspension points. I'll looks at what I've got and see if it can be strengthened.

john
31-12-2011, 10:00
The redesign is a complete new cradle from the roll cage backwards. A bit impractical for you I'd suggest.
I'd work on re-inforcing those pivot tubes where they are just welded to the side of the box section, and try and support the forward end of that tube with additional tube, or just some triangulation which picks up the top wishbone front pivot.
I don't have any pictures of either Tim Pages or Neil's (Arthur's) work which addressed this issue on their chassis', but they may be along with something for you....

turbonutter
31-12-2011, 10:10
This is what Arthur had done to address the issue - some serious strengthening of the fwd end of the pick up & a couple of re-enforcing plates where it is welded to the box section at the rear end.

See before & after photos

john
31-12-2011, 10:47
Thanks Neil.
The before pictures are pretty dramatic! Never actually seen a case before, only heard about it.
Attached is a picture of a proposed remedial mod. during discussions that went on before redesigning the whole cradle, which might be appropriate for Corky's job, and/or a mixture of the two.
With both engine and box in place and the suspension mounted on he's in a great position to see exactly what can be fitted in.

turbonutter
31-12-2011, 11:21
I think that tim's car was modified using a single tube, but I dont really have any info on that.....

Just found a photo of Dave Carsons car, showing the modification there, see below.

I guess a couple of gussets at the back & some kind of extra support at the front is whats needed - Arthurs mod is a good marine engineer one, belt and braces, it will never give, the tube modification, should be ok, or any combination of the above....

ProtoTipo
31-12-2011, 11:39
Just found a photo of Dave Carsons car, showing the modification there, see below.

What's that motor Neil? A 348 (3.4t)?

Allora#2
31-12-2011, 12:13
Hi,

looks 355!

mine Mondial 3,4T looks like this pic.

Enzo

turbonutter
31-12-2011, 12:33
Not Sure - its a long time since I saw it, I believe its a 355....... it looks like this one

ProtoTipo
31-12-2011, 13:43
Not Sure - its a long time since I saw it, I believe its a 355....... it looks like this one

Yes, I see it's a 355 now. Enzo says the same.
The drive flanges look really high up on some of the later Ferrari V8s. 'Must work ok though?
The box must be sideways on (t) and under the diff to save overall length?

turbonutter
31-12-2011, 13:51
I'm not sure what box is being used - things changes a lot since the project started. The first engine was a lotus v8 twin turbo, but that was just too long, I think the current plan is with the 355 engine and box. Last i heard back in early 2010 was that the whole rear cradle had been chopped off and a new one made & it was hoped to get the engine fitted in 2010, but I havent had any updates since then....

Allora#2
31-12-2011, 14:13
yes it's 355 i have both cars! but the engine on Neil picture is 2 serie!

if i found a frame and Gr.5 body parts as next, i like do do this! a Gr. 5 Stratos with Ferrari engine.

Enzo :o

turbonutter
31-12-2011, 15:18

Hi John,

Just been having a closer look at the suspension pickups on my chassis & have spotted a potential problem on the off side the tube for mounting the top rear wishbone is parallel to the chassis, but on the near side, the tube is at an angle the front being 2cm further out than the rear. I assume that this is a result of the broken parts being welded back where they were and not re-aligned first. This will move the top of the upright rearwards slightly as the suspension rises which as far as I can work out is not a good idea, I believe it could cause some rear wheel steering ? What do you think? At least I have spotted it now, so although I dont want to do anymore welding, its something that can be corrected if necessary... before i install the engine....

turbonutter
31-12-2011, 16:58
Thinking again....... the top wont move back when the suspension rises - it will be further back permenantly, so could be sorted with a few mm spacer on the top between the upright & joint, to get the wheels in the same place......?????????

john
31-12-2011, 17:25
Ughhh!, not nice really Neil.
I would have thought it would induce some bump steer as the top of the upright will move about as the wishbone moves through it's arc. Spacers will get the wheel in the right place at static ride height, say, but it's a dynamic part isn't it?
It's still parallel to the chassis base plane is it?
I'm not an expert here mind...except in opening cans of worms!
Like you say, the new bracing looks pretty effective so moving the pivot tube back into parallel ain't going to be an easy fix.
I'd have to do it on my own car.

turbonutter
31-12-2011, 18:33
Ughhh!, not nice really Neil.
I would have thought it would induce some bump steer as the top of the upright will move about as the wishbone moves through it's arc. Spacers will get the wheel in the right place at static ride height, say, but it's a dynamic part isn't it?
It's still parallel to the chassis base plane is it?
I'm not an expert here mind...except in opening cans of worms!
Like you say, the new bracing looks pretty effective so moving the pivot tube back into parallel ain't going to be an easy fix.
I'd have to do it on my own car.

I tend to agree in that its something that I should do..... if not, its always going to be in the back of my mind when driving. Need to get my engine built, then I can have a look at both sides and see what needs to be done and how it can be done with a minimum of effort.......

tipo158
31-12-2011, 18:37
I like what Arthur did, and I will probably copy that. John, the single additional tube looks great, but it also looks like it might get in the way of the cable shift mechanism that I'll be using. I'll wait until I get that test fitted to see which way will work better with my setup.

ProtoTipo
31-12-2011, 19:26
if i found a frame and Gr.5 body parts as next, i like do do this! a Gr. 5 Stratos with Ferrari engine.
Enzo :o

Similar to the Lister Bell STR M version Enzo?

Corky,
'Sorry about the thread hijack.

john
31-12-2011, 20:06
Yes, that's the way forward really Corky.
You are in a good position to look at it all having everything in place (inc cables too I guess).
All the above are just ideas of what has been done to give you food for thought.

tipo158
31-12-2011, 21:08
Similar to the Lister Bell STR M version Enzo?

Corky,
'Sorry about the thread hijack.

I don't mind the hijack, there is a lot of good info here.