PDA

View Full Version : Hawk for Sale

Guy Mayers
01-09-2018, 16:53
Do we know this one? Bob Pilott of Courtney Garage build.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-vehicles/lancia-stratos-hawk-replica-3.0/1311778090

Guy

ProtoTipo
02-09-2018, 08:13
Do we know this one? Bob Pilott of Courtney Garage build.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-vehicles/lancia-stratos-hawk-replica-3.0/1311778090

Guy

I do know that one Guy.
It was featured on the front cover, and in an article in 'component CAR Classics' magazine April/May 1989
When I went to collect the orange Prototype replica from Chris Smith in 2007, Chris was doing some work on this yellow car.
It's an early Transformer chassis.
Chris was fitting it with a V6 Alfa at the same time.

shakey5
02-09-2018, 10:01
£50k and a Q plate! Blimey.

john
02-09-2018, 10:05
Optimist or realist?
Let's see!

Fingers
02-09-2018, 10:57
I don't understand the Q plate thing, how does the number plate affect the value? I understand it doesn't have an age related plate, but the fact it affects the value seems strange. Here, you either get old black plates on older cars, they just look period correct, newer white plates, or personalised like mine. Will having a Q plate make a difference on a replica?

Guy Mayers
02-09-2018, 10:59
Q plate indicates that it was properly registered, a lot of the early cars ran on the donor logbooks, some may well still be. I put mine right at the amnesty before SVA came in. So a Q plate may actually be beneficial to a new owner. I believe that a few people have managed to get age related plates after proof of donor age?
Recent sales have been exported and the pound is at a low point at the moment so who knows? Gumtree seems an odd place to advertise it though. Maybe it'll appear on some of the more usual sites soon?
Guy

Guy Mayers
02-09-2018, 11:06
I don't understand the Q plate thing, how does the number plate affect the value? I understand it doesn't have an age related plate, but the fact it affects the value seems strange. Here, you either get old black plates on older cars, they just look period correct, newer white plates, or personalised like mine. Will having a Q plate make a difference on a replica?

The Q plate in the UK was a system reserved for cars of an indeterminate age or built from components of multiple vehicles. It used to be seen as an indication of poor quality kits or that the car was a stolen/recovered vehicle with it's original identity removed or cloned, a new number was the way of getting a valuable car back on the road. Once issued they are supposed to be non-transferrable. Generally people didn't like it and wanted a "normal" registration number and the DVLA consultation with the kit car industry pre SVA brought this dislike to their attention as the reason people were avoiding the correct registration protocols. Fortunately the DVLA listened and agreed to issue age related plates to amateur builds as a way of encouraging people to register their cars the correct way.
Guy

ProtoTipo
02-09-2018, 11:38
The Q plate never bothered me on the Prototype rep. It only had 2 digits, which somehow made it less obvious.
Q reg. gave it the least stringent emission test at MOT time. Visible smoke only, no gas test.

Fingers
02-09-2018, 19:59
Excellent, thanks Guy. It all makes sense now.

Stratos-Si
08-10-2018, 21:22
Hi all
New to this club. Question - why pay 47,500 when LB will build one for forty ?
Regards

renmure
08-10-2018, 22:28
Hi all
...... when LB will build one for forty ?
Regards

I'm not sure the maths works out like that
LB will charge you £7500 + vat, so £9k, to build you a car.
Once you add that to the price of the spec of car you want to end up with then you'll be well over forty.
And, you'll be at least 2 years older than you were when you paid your deposit.
You can always make more money. You don't get that time back.

Strat Fan
08-10-2018, 22:30
Hi all
New to this club. Question - why pay 47,500 when LB will build one for forty ?
Regards

The £40k price tag was underquoted on the Autocar video and was then only relevant back in 2011/2012 when using a donor car engine, the figure would be much higher now and there would be also be considerable lead time.
A finished registered car whatever marque is ready to drive away almost instantly.

LPH_UK
09-10-2018, 09:34
I think with any kit/replica the price is very much 'how long is a piece of string'. It varies wildly depending on how you approach the build. The cheapest option is the base kit and a secondhand engine / box that you don't do anything to other than service / belts. Once you are into rebuilding engines, adding custom bits and extra features then the price will spiral very quickly.

And I'm speaking from experience! :D