PDA

View Full Version : 2019 North Yorkshire Moors and Wolds Drive

David J
11-10-2018, 12:05
Roll up, Roll up! Here are the dates for your diary for next year’s Yorkshire Drive: 7th & 8th June 2019 -we can’t wait to show you around even more of God’s Own County..

This time for our two-night stay we have chosen the fabulous Dunsley Hall, which nestles between the North Yorkshire Moors National Park and the glorious sandy beach at Sandsend. Their elegant wood-panelled dining room will be for our exclusive use if our numbers are sufficient.

10 rooms have been held for us to include dinner, bed and breakfast at a cost of £160 per room, per night. Members have a month to confirm their booking direct with the hotel. Please quote Jowsey, Stratos Enthusiasts Club when reserving your room on 01947 893437. A deposit of £100 per room will be required to secure the booking. Pat and I have already booked ours and we are already looking forward to seeing you all!

Do hope that you can make it.

David

Normb666
11-10-2018, 13:18
Well that place looks quite spiffing...a bit upmarket for the likes of me, but what the L, I'll give it a go. Letcha know when I'm "in" and they've got my dosh.

I did say to Leah that the next time someone said "Yorkshire" and "God's Own County" in the same sentence, I'd murder 'em (think it was after the last time it was featured in Countryfile, and then Christopher Timothy doing his best All-Creatures thing in the Yorkshire Vet prog). So watch yer back, David...but you're safe till after the run :)

David J
11-10-2018, 13:39
Norm

It is Pat you are going to have kill (it was hear idea), you will have to catch her first.

Normb666
11-10-2018, 16:04
Ahhh, in that case I'll not have to bother - she was doing the job herself at the Shap hotel in August, attempting to destroy those glass cereal dispensers. If the hotel staff don't do her in, she'll die of embarrassment :)

Bernard
11-10-2018, 20:43
Ahhh, in that case I'll not have to bother - she was doing the job herself at the Shap hotel in August, attempting to destroy those glass cereal dispensers. If the hotel staff don't do her in, she'll die of embarrassment :)

To save Pat strangling you Normy.............. Twas I that had the problems with the cereal dispensers..... tricky buggers !

We shall be going David !!

Longtimefan
11-10-2018, 21:12
David, Carol has just come in from a shopping spree!!!! so sat her down and had a consultation re dates and we will be with you, you never know, I may be able to be in the project by then, painting just finished, going to see it tomorrow. Next is seats, will need an extra thick cushion to be able to see.

Message for Pat, I'll draw myself up to my full height and protect you from Norm.

Robin

Normb666
12-10-2018, 08:04
Yeah, sorry Phil - I always get you and Pat mixed up (was gonna say "confused" but I think you're already there with that one).

Robin, you can stand down now...we can do the rolling-around-on-the-floor thing in private (although I'd much rather do that with Pat. Oooer). By the way, congrats on getting your body all coloured in (see, there's another scary thought just popped up...)

ah_sprite
12-10-2018, 11:32
These threads descend into chaos more quickly every time!!!

Count myself and Sara in please - will phone the hotel over the weekend and get the room booked.

ProtoTipo
12-10-2018, 13:50
Twas I that had the problems with the cereal dispensers..... tricky buggers !

Here's what you do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRGJ3C7FLA0

Bernard
12-10-2018, 19:44
Booked .......... Phil and Helen

I'll try not to completely cock up the Cereal Dispensers............... well maybe not !.... will also try to come in a Stratos !!!.......
Thanks for doing the organisation again Pat.... and David !

Cheers
Phil

Normb666
13-10-2018, 16:35
Right, we're in for both Friday and Saturday nights. So that's any chance of credibility for the SEC out the window right there :)

David J
31-10-2018, 10:00
Just a quick reminder that Dunsley Hall had put 10 rooms on hold for us for about a month. May I suggest that if anyone is still thinking of coming on the drive and has not booked yet, they do so soon.

David

Karnevil
31-10-2018, 14:31
Parents live in Scarborough.I can be over there for that weekend could I possibly attend for the drive out?LB will not be built by then but I could come in the Z4 or one of the TR7's?

David J
31-10-2018, 15:45
Andy
You are welcome to come along to the drive out as well as anyone else who wants to join us. The starting point will be Dunsley Hall. Incidentally I use to have a TR7 which I dropped in a 16v Sprint motor running off 2”SU’s.

David

David J
18-11-2018, 10:11
Just a quick reminder for any one who is thinking of joining us the drive, please do not leave it too late as there may be a lack of availability at Dunsley Hall. Any body not wishing to stop over is welcome to join us on the day.

David

Bernard
20-11-2018, 16:55
Are you going to transfer the route info from RC's page David ?

David J
20-11-2018, 18:13
Here is a quick run down of the route, however it is still subject to some fine tuning. From Dunsley we will take in the following places on route. Sandsend, Whitby, coast road to Scarborough taking the Marine Drive, Oliver’s Mount, we then head out to the Wolds via Flixton, Forden, Wold Newton, Butterwick,Helperthorpe, Sledmere, Duggleby, Burdale,Thixendale,Kirkham Abbey, Castle Howard, Byland Abbey, Kilburn White Horse, Cold Kirby, Reivaulx Abbey, Cockayne loop in reverse, Blakey Ridge, lunch at Lion Inn, Westerdale, Rosedale, Hartoft, Egton Bridge, Glaisdale, Lealholm, Staithes, Back to Dunsley.

David

The Slug
21-11-2018, 10:32
Hi Dave lets hope they fix the Cockayne loop by then, I was up there about 6 weeks ago and the road was closed.

David J
21-11-2018, 10:55
Ian

We had drive up th loop about 2/3 weeks ago, the road was open. However there is about 1/2 a mile or so that is pretty rough, I think the Forestry Commission have been leading out some more timber again which has taken its toll on the road.

Before the drive we will check to loop out to make sure it is drivable.

David

The Slug
21-11-2018, 13:30
That's OK then, the road was physically blocked when we tried.
Hopefully they will have found a bit of tarmac by next year..lol

Normb666
21-11-2018, 14:43
So we might be needing M & S tyres then....that's "Mud and Snow", not the high street retailer. Although it'd be interesting to see what sort of tyres they'd sell - prob not the latest stylish stuff, but decent quality, and you'd be able to get your money back if they didn't fit.

Now I'm wondering if anyone does S & M tyres...probably perform well when covered in oil and with the weirdest tread pattern imaginable...oooh Matron!! :)

David J
30-04-2019, 21:28
Dunsley Hall still have a couple of rooms on hold for us and need to know ASAP if we need them as they are turning guests away for that weekend! Last chance then to join us. The number to ring is 01947 893437 and book under ‘Jowsey’

carol
01-05-2019, 21:46
I did try to book a room a few weeks ago, I was told they were fully booked, even under your booking, I then found on a hotel booking site, that I was able to get a room for the weekend, so I booked that way for the 2 nights.

Skelly
19-05-2019, 11:14
Hoping to join you for the drive, what time do i need to be at the hotel?

David J
19-05-2019, 21:28
Alan

About 9.30am ish Saturday morning

David

David J
31-05-2019, 11:03
Please find attached the route log for the Wolds and Moors Drive. (please take a copy and bring it with you) Anyone wishing to come on the drive only is very welcome. I am planning to set off from Dunsley Hall Hotel YO21 3TL at about 9.30am.

David

Normb666
31-05-2019, 11:24
Ta David! Said to Mark yesterday "he'll be publishing the route a week before, so prob tomorra" and you didn't let me down :)

ProtoTipo
06-06-2019, 08:56
'Just found this 35mm photo of my Hawk, just a few yards off the route of this weekend's Yorkshire run.
It's on top of the Yorkshire Wolds, just after Thixendale and with the village of Leavening in the background:

AndyGuyton
06-06-2019, 10:38
I've been warned off black by several people, but there's no denying how good it looks with gold wheels.

ProtoTipo
06-06-2019, 12:20
I've been warned off black by several people, but there's no denying how good it looks with gold wheels.

It's actually early 1990s BMW Mauritius Blue. It did go from looking almost black to a sudden flash of blue when the light hit it.
The top of the headlamp boxes did sink a bit, because of the sun on the dark colour.

westonTB
06-06-2019, 13:23
Perfect car, perfect scenery. Hope everyone has an excellent run, I'm scuppered by work etc so gutted I can't make it. Enjoy!:)

Longtimefan
07-06-2019, 10:52
Were on our way with a photograph, !!!! still waiting on the DVSA!!!

Two-Eight-Six
07-06-2019, 22:21
BBC weather forecast for tomorrow: "Heavy rain showers & a moderate breeze"......

Two-Eight-Six
08-06-2019, 10:37
....moderated today to "light rain showers".

(While Met. Office shows heavy rain from 13:00).

We'll see!

Two-Eight-Six
08-06-2019, 17:51
Stratified @ Sledmere Hall, E.Yorks.

Strat Fan
08-06-2019, 18:30
One car of each marque, a good example of what the club is about!

ProtoTipo
08-06-2019, 18:50
'Nice to see the organised parking at Sledmere.

Here's some from me.
At the Rievaulx Abbey cafe, and on the top of the North Yorks. Moors, showing Richard and Sara in the LB as well as Carol and John in Carol's 911.
'Sorry about the lack of Yorkshire Wolds photos, I had a problem with the camera.

ProtoTipo
08-06-2019, 18:56
By the way, Richard's 2.5 24v car looked the part, went really well, and above all, sounded fantastic.

Strat Fan
08-06-2019, 22:02
You'd think that maybe Richard would have bought Sara a booster cushion already, she must be fed up of looking at the wiper arm by now!!

Normb666
09-06-2019, 18:29
Just got back from the gig and what a great time we all had, even those who went majorly off-piste (ahem). Big thanks to David and Pat for organising it all - even the crap weather didn't stop us enjoying ourselves!

Bernard
09-06-2019, 19:30
Yes a great time... laugh a minute generally at Norm's expense (thanks Leah !)
Richards LB did go well and sounded very nice indeed.... just shows how a 2.5 v6 can go !!!

PS found my phone !!!!!.... but the Porker keys are still missing !!

Bernard
09-06-2019, 19:30
A BIG THANK YOU TO DAVID AND PAT !.....

Longtimefan
09-06-2019, 19:46
Just landed home, haven't made a brew yet.

Thanks to David & Pat for organising a great weekend and route that showed off the pride of the Yorkshire countryside, and my sides are still aching from the newmerous stories reminisced.

Thanks, thanks and thanks again.

Robin & Carol.

The Slug
10-06-2019, 11:13
Yes thanks to Pat and Dave for the entertaining route, and for Robin & Carol for the exciting "Prosecco Pino Grigio" a rare Yorkshire drink.... (You needed to be there to get the joke).

Longtimefan
10-06-2019, 13:02
an exciting "Prosecco Pino Grigio" a rare Yorkshire drink....

E By Gumm, there was definitely something lost in translation, us being from 'Wolverampton' in Yorkshire.

Skelly
10-06-2019, 19:21
Had a brilliant day, thanks Pat and David

Normb666
10-06-2019, 22:18
Me and Leah didn't care what that plonk was called, we drank it anyway, so Thanks loads and Congrats on the Big Anniversary! :)

ah_sprite
11-06-2019, 10:40
Big thanks to Pat and David for organising another excellent weekend! Shame about the weather on the Saturday but great fun all the same, it'll be less fun trying to clean the suspension down this week...!

I hadn't realised quite how low Sara was sitting until she said to me in the rain on the way up, 'Richard, I can't see anything out of the car because the wiper doesn't clear the part of the windscreen that I'm looking through'... she's been looking under the wiper for forward visibility! Craig - when is the LB Booster Seat becoming an official option?