PDA

View Full Version : Scheldt and Pettet Stratos where is it now?

Strat Fan
14-12-2018, 14:03
Having had an interesting conversation with a gent the other day about RHD Lancia Strato's it lead me to look back through my pictures and I found two.
Firstly the Chequered Flag car-
And then the Scheldt and Pettet car-
Not knowing enough Stratos history is it possible that these two are the same car and does anyone know what became of the Scheldt and Pettet car?
Could it be that the other/spare tubs that the Scheldt and Pettet team possessed were damaged shells from the Chequered Flag project or was that just coincidental?
Is the Scheldt and Pettet car still RHD or has it been restored back to LHD?

Lancialulu
14-12-2018, 17:03
According to the book A Chequered Life, the Chequered flag car in the thread was dubbed Strato's 3 after it was rebuilt from Strato's 2 (the second CF Strato's) after it was badly damaged in 1978. Previously it was LHD. The first CF Strato's seems also to have been LHD.

ProtoTipo
14-12-2018, 17:45
Not knowing enough Stratos history is it possible that these two are the same car and does anyone know what became of the Scheldt and Pettet car?
Could it be that the other/spare tubs that the Scheldt and Pettet team possessed were damaged shells from the Chequered Flag project or was that just coincidental?
Is the Scheldt and Pettet car still RHD or has it been restored back to LHD?

Craig, I'm as sure as I can be that the two cars in your photos are different cars.

CF3 was CF2 re-shelled into chassis 1716 (but the chassis number was not used for ID)
It's first incarnation was RHD (for Andy Dawson?), but later converted back to LHD.
The car still exists, but has been painted in an earlier CF colour scheme that it never had in period.
CF3 never had a roof scoop, and was always square arched.
CF3 used the chassis number of CF2.

The only damaged CF shell that was brought back to life was the CF2 tub (crashed by Cahal Curley in Ireland).
It turned up in Japan, and was restored back to it's 1975 works appearance. It was an original 1975 works Safari team car.

CF1 was also an ex works 1975 car (Pinto), but it's timeline is much easier to understand.
It was driven by Per-Inge Walfridsson, Tony Pond, Andy Dawson and Tom Pryce. Then crashed and died in flames.
As far as I know, it hasn't come back from the dead....... yet.

Griff
14-12-2018, 17:50
Auction

Grand Prix, Competition, Touring and Rally cars
Coys, Birmingham Auction Centre, Birmingham (http://www.motorbase.com/auction/by-id/1479829055/)

Type

Car

Lot Number

Estimate

FF30000-FF40000

Outcome

NOT SOLD

Hammer Price

-

Hammer Price (inc premium)

-

Year

Condition rating

Registration number

Mileage

-

Chassis number

Engine number

Engine capacity (cc)

Engine - cylinders

Number of doors

http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/archive/index.php/t-1135.html

ProtoTipo
14-12-2018, 17:56
Thanks Griff,

I was going to say.
I remember seeing a white group 4 car with yellow speedline wheels in an auction at the Autosport show years and years ago.
So that's what it was (chassis 1635)

john
14-12-2018, 19:20
When Frederic and I met Dave Scheldt at Goodwood he told us that they bought their Stratos from Germany together with two damaged shells. See the thread Allora Body Moulds.

ProtoTipo
15-12-2018, 08:05
Here's the 'life of the Chequered Flag 3 car":http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/51687/index.html

Lord Mexborough owned the number 3 car for a long time, and still had it at the time of the Scheldt and Pettet car being auctioned in 2001.
So they are definitely two different cars.

ProtoTipo
15-12-2018, 08:29
This is how the Chequered Flag 'Stratos 2' looked on its very last rally.
The rally that it was rolled on:
https://www.lesashephotography.com/Rallysport/Donegal-Rally-1979/i-ZBxZBgs/A

It can be defined from the CF3 car (in the first of Craig's photos on this thread, being driven by Bjorn Waldegård), by the CF roof scoop and the white lettering on the rear quarter.

So, (to the best of my knowledge) what was left of this car (after it was badly damaged in Donegal in 1979) became the restored 1975 Alitalia car:

ProtoTipo
15-12-2018, 08:32
So, (to the best of my knowledge) what was left of this car (after it was badly damaged in Donegal in 1979) became the restored 1975 Alitalia car:

and all the good salvageable parts were transferred to this tub (no roof scoop):

ProtoTipo
15-02-2021, 15:19
There are photos (now, on Golden Years of Rallying - Facebook) of the crash on 1979 Donegal rally, that led to second (and last) Chequered Flag car being re-shelled.
'The first time I've ever seen this.

Cahal Curley upside down!

ProtoTipo
16-02-2021, 07:13
There are photos (now, on Golden Years of Rallying - Facebook) of the crash on 1979 Donegal rally, that led to second (and last) Chequered Flag car being re-shelled.
'The first time I've ever seen this.

Cahal Curley upside down!

My brother sent me the photos of the car on the 1979 Donegal Rally.
The bare damaged shell came back to life, in Japan and was returned to its pre Chequered Flag and works 1975 colour scheme + non period roof scoop:

Guy Mayers
16-02-2021, 08:41
Incredible images Chris!

Stratie.fr
16-02-2021, 12:18
When Frederic and I met Dave Scheldt at Goodwood he told us that they bought their Stratos from Germany together with two damaged shells.

And How cheap He sold the car twenty years ago!!

That’s an amazing story and great photos I never seen before!
Thanks for these ones and Congratulations to the anonymous photograph for the incredible shoot with an old camera!:cool:

colin artus
16-02-2021, 13:12
Talking of cheap, back in '84/5 Cf3 was for sale at the Flag showroom in Chiswick. They were asking £14k for the car plus what was described as a shed full of spares. It was fairly rough looking, or in salespeak plenty of patina!

ProtoTipo
16-02-2021, 14:22
It was fairly rough looking, or in salespeak plenty of patina!

It's a pity it didn't stay like that.

westonTB
16-02-2021, 19:02
Wow, I missed the thread back in 2018, Chris you ARE the Stratos Yoda!!!

I think you need to write a book, pretty sure the whole 'Stratos' world would learn a thing or two.

Excellent picture of the roll!

john
16-02-2021, 21:03
It's a pity it didn't stay like that.

That wasn't the shell which featured in that great series of photos in a shop in Japan was it Chris? Under restoration?
Very detailed photos of the original chassis I remember.

ProtoTipo
17-02-2021, 07:31
Wow, I missed the thread back in 2018, Chris you ARE the Stratos Yoda!!!

I think you need to write a book, pretty sure the whole 'Stratos' world would learn a thing or two.

Excellent picture of the roll!

Too kind......you are.

ProtoTipo
17-02-2021, 08:01
That wasn't the shell which featured in that great series of photos in a shop in Japan was it Chris? Under restoration?
Very detailed photos of the original chassis I remember.

I don't remember seeing those John?
'Mind, there's a lot of things I don't remember these days!

The finished restoration was bought (in Japan) by a chap called 'Gary Fitz'. He started a whole thread about it on the old forum, titled with the reg. number of the works car, (TOL80932) rather than any reference to the CF reg, or chassis no.

The car's last outing as a works car was 11th overall on the 1975 Safari, driven by Vic Preston. Painted plain white.
The car was then entered in the following year's Safari rally, by a Kenyan, Frank Tundo and Anton Levitan (the yellow car that Phil D. has just received a model of, 'still with the 1975 works type spare wheel above the boot lid) The works cars for that year had the roof mounted spare wheels.

ProtoTipo
17-02-2021, 08:14
The only other Stratos that the Chequered Flag used (there were only 2 cars) was TOL52902
This car's last works outing was on the 1975 Monte, (no roof wing or rear spoiler) and driven by Raffele Pinto, who retired from that Monte with an accident.
The Chequered Flag painted the green parts black, and that's how the first CF colour scheme was born.

Famously, that car's life ended in a very fiery accident on the 1976 Welsh rally, driven by Per Inge Walfridsson.

Stratie.fr
17-02-2021, 11:27
Too kind......you are.

Ha ha...May the force be with you Master!!:D

Griff
17-02-2021, 14:28
Famously, that car's life ended in a very fiery accident on the 1976 Welsh rally, driven by Per Inge Walfridsson.

....and the club still has a part of that car

ProtoTipo
17-02-2021, 15:31

....and the club still has a part of that car

The rally at the bottom of the plaque is wrong. (Welsh 1976, not RAC 1975)
The quoted chassis number is correct though (1513).

ChrisCar6
17-02-2021, 17:44
The rally at the bottom of the plaque is wrong. (Welsh 1976, not RAC 1975)
The quoted chassis number is correct though (1513).

Is it? Oh, I'm so embarrassed about that!

ChrisCar6
17-02-2021, 17:53
I don't remember seeing those John?
'Mind, there's a lot of things I don't remember these days!

These ones? I've 11 from whichever website I got them from

AndyGuyton
17-02-2021, 19:17
I took these in the late 80's. I know they don't provide any evidence to where it is now, but I thought some of you may be interested to see them.

john
17-02-2021, 20:06
These ones? I've 11 from whichever website.
Those are the ones Chris!

john
17-02-2021, 20:38
Anyway,
Definitely not the damaged CF shell. Ended up Blue.

ProtoTipo
18-02-2021, 07:50
These ones? I've 11 from whichever website I got them from

Yes, I've seen those, and no, that's a blue Stradale, nothing to do with the Chequered Flag.

The remains of the 'rolled' car were never used in anger again and left the Chequered Flag in the following state:

After the re-shelled and existing complete rally car had been sold, Don Fenwick built up a car from the remains of the (Cahal Curley Donegal) rolled car.
All that could be used, was the floor pan. The rest of the tub was all new steel. Then the car was completed using whatever parts they had left over.
The car was painted black and white, but without any lettering.
It was registered on a Q plate.

This built up car has the same chassis number stamped on its tub, as the re-shelled and surviving CF rally car.
It was also, later, issued by the DVLC, at the behest of the subsequent owner, with the registration OYU 353R.

(All from Don Fenwick's account in RACE & RALLY magazine.)

This is the car that came back to life in its 1975 ex works incarnation, in Japan.

ProtoTipo
18-02-2021, 08:02
Lord Mexborough owned the number 3 car for a long time, and still had it at the time of the Scheldt and Pettet car being auctioned in 2001.
So they are definitely two different cars.

As I said, there's no link between the CF cars and the Scheldt and Pettet car.
'Interesting period photos of the Scheldt and Pettet car, Andy. Thanks for posting them.