PDA

View Full Version : Nick Mason had a Strato's!

LPH_UK
17-05-2019, 22:54
I never knew Nick Mason had a Strato's! Google brought up an article that says:

'MANY OTHER FERRARIS HAVE COME AND GONE over the years, including a Dino 246 GTS which became a part exchange for a Lancia Stratos. “I am really sorry I sold the Lancia,” Mason says. “It was a very tricky car but really exotic and an extraordinary idea.'

He's always had impeccable taste. :cool:

ah_sprite
17-05-2019, 23:26
Nick Mason's car is photographed in Graham Robson's Super Profile book :)

LPH_UK
17-05-2019, 23:34
Yeah, just found that out from someone else!

Green I think?

ah_sprite
17-05-2019, 23:39
Complete with bull bars, IIRC!
It's the green car photographed in that book that made me really want one in green, as a 10 year old kid! :D

john
18-05-2019, 05:15
I believe Simon Park, composer of "Eye Level", Van der Valk theme, also bought a Stratos.
Surely there must be more famous owners?
Spoke to Rob Whitehouse the film director in Hoznayo who has also owned two original Stratos in his time. Currently campaigning an Olio Fiat liveried 037 but says he is considering a Stratos rep for fun.

Guy Mayers
18-05-2019, 07:47
Rowan Atkinson used to have one?

Griff
18-05-2019, 07:55
Yes, Ian Frazer one time editor (and owner) of Car magazine, also owns a Stratos, partially because of driving Nick Masons' https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/car-culture/the-devils-own-classic-the-lancia-stratos-car-archive-may-1979/
and Ian in turn gave me my first ride in a Stratos

Bernard
18-05-2019, 08:23
Others will confirm or correct me but isn't that where the Transformer body moulds came from ??..........

I never knew Nick Mason had a Strato's! Google brought up an article that says:

'MANY OTHER FERRARIS HAVE COME AND GONE over the years, including a Dino 246 GTS which became a part exchange for a Lancia Stratos. “I am really sorry I sold the Lancia,” Mason says. “It was a very tricky car but really exotic and an extraordinary idea.'

He's always had impeccable taste. :cool:

AndyGuyton
18-05-2019, 08:46
Yes, Ian Frazer one time editor (and owner) of Car magazine, also owns a Stratos, partially because of driving Nick Masons' https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/car-culture/the-devils-own-classic-the-lancia-stratos-car-archive-may-1979/
and Ian in turn gave me my first ride in a Stratos

It's looks as though you and I have been out in the same Stratos. I'm friends with Ian's son Antony, he turned up to my workshop once in Ian's car. It's a lovely early example without the aerofoil and spoiler. I'm not sure whether he still owns it though. I haven't spoken to Antony in a good while.

ProtoTipo
18-05-2019, 09:15
Note, the pukka and very very rare recliner seat in the BUC car?

Nick Mason's car was red with thin tubular chrome over bumpers, of all things.

The car that the moulds were taken from was a green Stradale FYH 4V (also shown in the Super Profile book) that belonged to Roger Perry.
After that, it was painted a mid blue metallic and fitted with 15" dayglo red magnesium coffin spokes (10" on the rear).

Here's me with Simon Park's (the music composer) red Stradale at Coy's Historic, Silverstone:

ProtoTipo
18-05-2019, 09:31
Complete with bull bars, IIRC!
It's the green car photographed in that book that made me really want one in green, as a 10 year old kid! :D

"Bull bars",
Yes, that's a better description.
It is red though, not green.

There are actually 3 different green Stradales in that Graham Robson Super Profile book. The Roger Perry car is only shown in black and white.

Bernard
18-05-2019, 16:38
I knew someone would know where the moulds were lifted from !!!

john
18-05-2019, 19:53
And we sort of knew who it would be too!
Well done Chris.
Mind you Guy is off hiking today, so you had no competition Chris.
I bet he knew too.

Guy Mayers
18-05-2019, 21:06
Yup. I can confirm Roger Perry’s Car was the source for Gerry’s moulds. Hiking done for the day, well into the beers now!

And we sort of knew who it would be too!
Well done Chris.
Mind you Guy is off hiking today, so you had no competition Chris.
I bet he knew too.

Normb666
19-05-2019, 19:47
Why does "Nick Mason had a Stratos" sound like the first line of a poem???

Nick Mason had a Stratos
But was it red or green?
All pix we saw were black and white
At least the ones we'd seen
But then some peeps said they'd a book
Containing colour shots
So now we know it's really red
So Ta, you Girly Swots :)

(with thanks to Dennis the Menace for use of the "Girly Swots" insult)

Guy Mayers
19-05-2019, 19:56
It's looks as though you and I have been out in the same Stratos. I'm friends with Ian's son Antony, he turned up to my workshop once in Ian's car. It's a lovely early example without the aerofoil and spoiler. I'm not sure whether he still owns it though. I haven't spoken to Antony in a good while.

And this is how my car was going to look if the owner of a VW Variant I saw on the dock road in Bootle had ever got back to me and sold me his number plate - BUC311T!
Guy