PDA

View Full Version : Calendar 2020 - still need photos !

Stratos Fear
15-11-2019, 21:33
Thanks to everyone who has submitted photos so far. Unfortunately a number of them are unsuitable and have been "rejected" by the Calendar software as being of insufficient quality - even though I thought they would look good in the calendar. Also I have been sent some professional photos which were crystal clear and pin-sharp (thanks Craig) but which were also rejected as being too big ! Cant b**** win can you ! (the large file images were re-sized and are being used)

So we want the Goldilocks image - not too big , not too small !

As a result I am still 4 images short for the calendar - which needs 13 (including a cover shot).

Please scour your cameras / computers for suitable Stratos photos - what about the social events held earlier this year ? - shots with cars and people would be good.
File size preferably 4MB up to 10 or 12 MB

Please do your best and send me a few more images

Thanks

Peter E:Mail address : cutlerpj@aol.com

ProtoTipo
16-11-2019, 08:55
Peter,
Making the large ones smaller in PhotoShop is easy.
Anything not too short of 4MB, could be increased in PhotoShop to make the cut?

Stratos Fear
16-11-2019, 16:38
Hi Chris - I'm not Photoshop savvy - nor do I have a copy which I understand has to be rented these days. I didn't know you could "grow" the files but I'm thinking there must be a limit to how much they can be expanded.

If I come across a possible candidate file perhaps you could look at it for me?

Thanks

Peter

Stratos Fear
16-11-2019, 16:41
Also needed are any dates of events you may want to add to the Club Calendar - eg if you are planning a Garage Day and know when you want to hold it? Also I'll try and include as many relevant Motoring Events as I reasonably can - but could all members please let me know of any you particularly want included.

I'm hoping to complete the calendar within the next week - so there is a deadline !

Thanks everyone

Peter

renmure
16-11-2019, 16:48
Hi Chris - I'm not Photoshop savvy - nor do I have a copy which I understand has to be rented these days. I didn't know you could "grow" the files but I'm thinking there must be a limit to how much they can be expanded.

Thanks

Peter

I've got some photoshop skills.
If you get stuck and want to see what can be done with one then feel free to fire it over to me.

Jim

Stratos Fear
16-11-2019, 17:01
Thanks Jim- I appreciate your offer .
P

Strat Fan
16-11-2019, 17:18
The shots I submitted were only phone images that were run through Photoshop and/or Lightroom which is why they grew significantly in size.
As an example the image of Nigel Wilkinson's Hawk from the calendar a couple of years back started off as a 135kb image from Facebook which once processed using the above software ended up at 4.75Mb.
For the oversize images I simply crop/resize them using Microsoft Paint of all things.

Stratos Fear
16-11-2019, 17:22
Blimey ! - here's me thinking it is very complicated ! Thanks Craig I had no idea. Well that opens up some possibilities ! I'll shoot a few images up to Jim and see what he can do ! Hope you don't mind Jim!

renmure
16-11-2019, 17:47
For the oversize images I simply crop them using Microsoft Paint of all things.

You save them onto 5.25 inch floppy disks or 3.5 inch ones? :p

renmure
16-11-2019, 18:24
Not at all.
Fire away

Strat Fan
16-11-2019, 18:36
You save them onto 5.25 inch floppy disks or 3.5 inch ones? :p
You'll be telling me next that Windows 95 has been superseded!!

Griff
16-11-2019, 18:40
No, Craig he's just DOSsing around......

ProtoTipo
16-11-2019, 19:47

Thanks

Peter

Yes Peter,
Send me the photos that you need reducing or any that are a little under the file size limit.
Do the calendar people advise the ideal file sizes (pixels per inch. and physical size, see attached) and whether CMYK or RGB?:
For litho print, 300 pixels per inch is the minimum, but I suspect this is digital CMYK.
Consistent crop proportions would be good for all the images.

renmure
16-11-2019, 20:00
You'll be telling me next that Windows 95 has been superseded!!

Not for a true Yorkshireman. Still a few years use in it yet. Just got to maintain a good head of stream in the boiler and maintain the temps in the valves.

Lancialulu
16-11-2019, 20:32
No worries about a virus attack for Win95!

Stratos Fear
17-11-2019, 15:53
Do the calendar people advise the ideal file sizes (pixels per inch. and physical size, see attached) and whether CMYK or RGB?:
For litho print, 300 pixels per inch is the minimum, but I suspect this is digital CMYK.

Thanks Chris - there is no specific technical guideline supplied - although I'm sure they would tell me if I asked. What happens is that you download a picture to be used and then try to slot it into the calendar month template , and if the picture file is too small it will flag a message - effectively rejecting the image.

Now that I know picture files can be "boosted" I can re-look at some of the pictures I've already got and forward them to you .Since you first suggested it - for the sake of consistency I'll send them to you (Jim hope you don't mind !)

renmure
17-11-2019, 20:44
.Since you first suggested it - for the sake of consistency I'll send them to you (Jim hope you don't mind !)

Not at all.

I might have just photoshopped my car into all the pics anyhow ;)

Stratos Fear
06-12-2019, 20:25
No more photos needed ! Calendar now completed and printed and as at today Mark (Redline) and I packed them all into envelopes together with an SEC lapel badge to be sent out to all members. They should be with you soon - although for overseas members it will of course take longer.

Thanks to all those who contributed their pictures - I've tried to use as many as I can (with as much variety in colour, location and type as I can) but of course there are only 12 months in a year so I can only use 13 photos - including the front cover - before you say anything Norm! Sorry to those who submitted photos that I had no space to use. However I hope you all like the end result - the calendar (and badge) will be with you soon.

Peter

john
06-12-2019, 20:47
Thanks Peter. Looking forward to it.

ProtoTipo
07-12-2019, 08:57
Thanks for the time Peter, and Mark for helping.

ChrisCar6
07-12-2019, 11:20
Excellent effort chaps!
Thank you.

Longtimefan
07-12-2019, 11:24
Arrived this morning, great quality, and thanks for all the effort in putting it all together and getting it out.

Many, many thanks.

mariner
07-12-2019, 11:29
That was quick here next day.
Excellent work
Many thanks
Bob

Lancialulu
07-12-2019, 14:14
Arrived this morning, great quality, and thanks for all the effort in putting it all together and getting it out.

Many, many thanks. Same here. The postman even knocked on the door not wanting to bend it through the letter box!! Nice Pin BTW. Thanks again.

gtmpaul
07-12-2019, 16:40
Mine turned up today with a pin badge like an early Christmas present :)

LPH_UK
07-12-2019, 18:25
Mine arrived today too.

Looks great, thanks to all those involved in putting it together.

Martin Crikey
07-12-2019, 20:55
Big thanks for all involved in the calendar. Another great effort form you.

STR_Strat
08-12-2019, 08:29
Many thanks, mine arrived yesterday

Glad you mentioned the pin badge I didn't see it in the envelope:( but managed to retrieve it;)

westonTB
08-12-2019, 18:16
Many Thanks to Peter, Mark & all involved, excellent pic's particularly the drone one of Gordon's LB.

carol
08-12-2019, 22:18
Thank you very much for the calendar, and also to all those that have put the hard work in creating it.
We both wish all a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

regards John & Carol

Bernard
09-12-2019, 08:13
The Calendar and pin arrived safely... thanks very much !

Ken Tomblin
09-12-2019, 12:08
Mine arrived today. Looks great, many thanks to all those involved in putting it together

Kind regards

AndyGuyton
09-12-2019, 13:11
Great calendar Peter! - Also, thanks to Simon for the pin badge. Well done chaps.

Normb666
09-12-2019, 14:59
Just got mine, and a splendid thing it is too, full of ace pix. However, in true "kit car" stylee, it came without a full complement of parts, to wit: October :)

Anybody else look like having a short 2020, or is it just me? At least with it being October, I won't be having a birthday, so I'll retain my youthful good looks and vigour a bit longer. Ahem.

The pin badge, however, seems to be a proper "turnkey" job, and appears to work fine. Hopefully it won't need much doing to it after the shakedown tests.

Anyway, congrats and thanks to Peter for putting the (shortened) calendar together, Simon for organising production and supply of the badge, and Mark for helping to get them out to everyone and freeing up the dosh that made it all possible. And, of course, to all those whose cars were featured - we'll see if they've been affected by all the new-found fame as 2020 progresses :)

P.S. that's just made me think - maybe October was supposed to feature my motor, only it's not ready yet. Yeah, that'll be it...

AndyGuyton
09-12-2019, 19:08
Really? No October?? Just had to check mine, my birthday is in October too...thankfully it's there. You don't have pages stuck together already do you Norm?

john
09-12-2019, 19:20
Ha ha! He's not had it long enough yet.....

renmure
09-12-2019, 19:23
You don't have pages stuck together already do you Norm?

Haha, perhaps he'll go blind and need another enema thingy.

Got mine today. Many thanks.

Griff
09-12-2019, 19:38
Got mine 12/12ths splendid effort, I particularly like the cover image

Norm, on a serious note, you may have got a duff one, could we sort out a replacement for our chairman please?

tomsredstratos
09-12-2019, 20:00
Received mine with pin badge today. Really great calendar. Thanks to all involved and one of my photos made the grade:rolleyes:

I have October:cool:

renmure
09-12-2019, 20:19
Good News Norm.
Looks like I had 2 copies of the October pic so that explains the problem you have.
I've posted a copy of the page here so you can just print it out and stick it in your calendar later in the year.

https://i.imgur.com/gJsIIXE.jpg

David J
09-12-2019, 20:32
Safely received today plus pin, checked mine full compliment on months. Thank you to all those involved in creating the calendar, job well done.

Normb666
09-12-2019, 22:17
Hmmm, well, it's really good of you all to suggest those various reasons for me being Octoberless.

No need for an enema, Jim, got enough enemies as it is... and Andy, the first thing I did was check the pages weren't stuck together - unlikely I'd be the cause of that anyway, cos as you all know, I don't give a toss :)

Picasso
09-12-2019, 23:20
Thank you to the members involved in the the Calendar and Pin production. Both arrived safely, complete and are already in use.

GerryA
09-12-2019, 23:57
Opened my envelope this morning (been away a few days) and just want to say thank you to all involved in production of the calendar and pin. Top job, much appreciated!

Ginger
10-12-2019, 10:26
Happy Christmas all,

Great calendar guys. Very unexpected, but greatfully recieved.

Cheers
Andy

LOFT6.6
10-12-2019, 10:34
Received mine yesterday and intact in all respects. What a great job providing 12 months of inspiration to those yet to receive and start their kits. Thanks to all of those involved - well worth the effort!
Cheers!
Ade

Stratos Fear
10-12-2019, 15:53
Norm

Sorry to hear you didn't get an October month in your calendar (it must be the only one!) - although I must say I like Jim's version - and colour scheme !
I'm sure we can sort out a replacement for you - but Mark has the remaining stock . He works 6 days on and 3 off so is probably full-on at the moment but will, no doubt get a replacement out to you shortly . In the meantime Jim's version will be an excellent temporary stand-in !

Peter

ah_sprite
10-12-2019, 16:10
Calendar and pin badge received today - many thanks to all involved in making the effort to put the calendar together - and of course, the production of the badge.

rdodger
10-12-2019, 18:15
That was a welcome suprise! Great work. Thanks

Normb666
10-12-2019, 21:38
Come on Pete, that pic of Jim's is obviously staged - everyone knows I wear glasses. But I need to speak to Mark anyway so we'll sort the calendar thing...no rush, got till October :)

renmure
11-12-2019, 13:19
I thought I’d see how you got on with contact lenses Norm :cool:

Normb666
11-12-2019, 15:36
We can investigate the effects of "contact" next time we meet... :-P :)

GMC
12-12-2019, 15:01
Received calendar and Pin. Thank you and much appreciated

john
12-12-2019, 18:18
Me too. Great pictures and complete with October!
Thanks to all.

Kenny m
12-12-2019, 20:34
Recieved my calendar and pin this morning, thank you so much, and a happy Christmas to everyone

Marcolino
13-12-2019, 19:06
My calendar and pin arrived today.
Very nice christmas present!
Many thanks to all involved!

Guy Mayers
14-12-2019, 13:37
Collected it from the PO today, all complete (Soz Norm!) and the pin was there too. Thanks for the hard work chaps!
Guy

Normb666
14-12-2019, 20:11
It's just me, innit....out of all the calendars produced, I got the duff one. You'd think I'd be used to this sort of thing by now.... I had a motorbike engine rebuilt, new custom-made valves and guides. After a bit of running it lost a cylinder. Turned out one of the valves was sticking in the guide and the spring couldn't return it - the piston pushed it back up, the cam pushed it back down, but no damage anywhere at all. So the engine builder gets the micrometer out and measures every single valve in the batch he's had made, and the guides too. And there was just one, and only one, valve that had slightly too large a stem...yep, the one in my motor :(

tipo158
18-12-2019, 00:17
Mine arrived the other day, great photos again this year.

Skelly
18-12-2019, 11:06
Got mine, nearly threw the envelope out with the pin it.
Cheers

colleyv12
19-12-2019, 15:43
Got mine, very good job this year, thanks

hollytree
19-12-2019, 18:22
Mine arrived at the castle. Thanks.
I think it was redirected from St Albans and it has reminded me to edit my address here.
I cant ever seem to get the member map working. Am i doing something wrong.
Happy xmas to all
Steve

Normb666
19-12-2019, 21:12
Steve, no, the map doesn't work any more since a required software update was applied to the site - but it's more fun guessing anyway. Isn't it? ;)

Phubb
19-12-2019, 22:04
Norm,
The members map can be accessed by using this link below and not the one from the website.
This was posted as a workaround a while back - not sure by who.
It was something to do with it having https and it should be http
Now how I managed to get my location on there is another story - I've been to bed a few times since so I can't remember.

http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/dcMembermap.php

Normb666
19-12-2019, 22:34
Cheers Pete, don't remember seeing that one. I thought it was down to a software update and the two things wouldn't talk to each other afterwards... anyway, why would you wanna know where everyone lives - or is it so you know how to avoid them.... ;)

Allora#2
20-12-2019, 09:20
My calendar and pin badge received also, many thanks to all involved.
saluti Enzo :)

The Slug
20-12-2019, 10:44
Norm,
The members map can be accessed by using this link below and not the one from the website.
This was posted as a workaround a while back - not sure by who.
It was something to do with it having https and it should be http
Now how I managed to get my location on there is another story - I've been to bed a few times since so I can't remember.

http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/dcMembermap.php

BE WARNED IF YOU USE THAT LINK YOUR USER ID AND PASSWORD MAYBE VISIBLE TO HACKERS, hence the change to httpS:

Fingers
17-01-2020, 08:09
Still waiting, hopefully next week. It's probably got caught up in the xmas mail.

Stratos Fear
18-01-2020, 14:18
Hi Paul - sorry to hear you are still waiting. I'll follow up with Mark (who sent them all out) after we jointly packed them all several weeks ago.

Peter

jasonlycett
17-02-2020, 13:23
Hi folks

I didn't receive a Calendar this year, any chance of getting one sent ?

Redline
18-02-2020, 00:19
Jason,

PM sent

Mark