PDA

View Full Version : Northern Drive-Out - Coast & Castles Run, Fri/Sat 7th/8th August 2020

Normb666
08-03-2020, 21:09
Y'all,

Finally, the news you've all (not) been waiting for - this year's Northern Drive-Out is now officially on!

I did say, after last year's unintended Noah's Ark inaugural do, that I'd re-run the Kielder route again this time so peeps could actually see some scenery, rather than make like they were standing under Niagara Falls. But I had a rethink and decided that we'll revisit Kielder another time, and try summat completely new for this year.... And so, having pored over maps, and entreated with the local haruspex to examine entrails for portents and omens, it has come to pass: this time, we'll be having a wizz up the stunning Northumberland coast, running by the sea as much as we can manage without actually falling in and/or getting stuck in the sand/driving off cliffs. On the way we'll be passing several famous and not-so-famous castles, keeping the water in the sea rather than on our heads (I hope), and crossing the causeway onto historic Lindisfarne, and who knows, maybe even not get stranded by the rising tide. There'll also be a bit of an inland loop over the moors before returning to the hotel, which is...

The Grand Hotel, Tynemouth - originally built as a summer house for the Duchess of Northumberland in 1872 - stands right on the sea front, and as well as being a very stylish and elegant place in its own right, is just round the corner from the rather cosmopolitan centre of the town, and not far from the ruins of Tynemouth Priory on the headland. I've secured 12 double rooms for us for two nights, Fri 7th and Sat 8th August, which was all that they had available. Cost is £368 for two people for two nights - not cheap, but what else are you gonna do with yer loot? :)

Dates are Friday 7th and Saturday 8th August, with the drive-out being on the Saturday as usual. If you want to go, give them a bell on 0191 293 6666 and say you're with the BRIERS group. They'll take your card details, but not take any money till the weekend itself. Don't forget to update this thread too so I know who's going!

It may be worth mentioning at this point that car parking could possibly be an issue (or it might not...depends!) There are 8 spaces directly in front of the hotel and a further 6 just to the side, and also 8 undercover in their own parking facility about 100 yards away to the rear. We can't reserve any of these - it's first come, first served - and with check-in being from 3pm, it might pay to be there early :)

Remember, you don't have to come in a Stratos of any description, something everyone took to heart last year when there were none at all. So this year I've not mentioned the SEC to the hotel, so no-one will be asking what the craic is with these exotic motors...

Anyway, it's all very elegant and probably far too good for you lot. I'll be going even if nobody else does :-P

*** "Stuff I Just Remembered" Section - *** Should have mentioned, if anyone wants a single room, the price is pretty much the same - just £10 less...not a particularly good deal so you might be better finding alternative accommodation nearby. And the run itself is about 110, 120 miles in total, of which you're free to do all, some or none of, with plenty of places you can stop off at should the mood take you. I'll include them in the Route Details when I post them nearer the date, and I've allowed plenty of time at a few of them for a cuppa, look round, stretch of legs, playing on the beach, etc. It's definitely more of a "tour" than a "thrash" this time, although there are still places you can, shall we say, "make progress" should you wish...ahem.

And, if anyone wants to just do the Run you're welcome to do so, but you'll still owe me a drink ;)

john
08-03-2020, 21:47
Wow Norm! Gotta be there for that.
No excuses this time.
No excuses for Bob either except maybe he will not bother with the hotel!

David J
09-03-2020, 12:56
Norm
Booked, that has doubled the numbers to four.

David

Normb666
09-03-2020, 16:30
Well done, That Man - I knew there'd be someone in the club with a few bob left :)

john
09-03-2020, 16:54
I have booked for me and Jan. I don't think I will be there in a Stratos however.

Longtimefan
09-03-2020, 17:58
Just put the phone down, were with you Norm, for the continuation of the intellectual chat!!!

Normb666
09-03-2020, 20:26
John, if you did turn up in a Strat, you'd likely be the only one... Robin, great to have you and The Boss along - knew I could count on you! :) I'll bring a dictionary and an interpreter, in case others don't understand what we're talking about.

Bernard
09-03-2020, 21:31
Unfortunately we will be on holiday !................ Bugger.. sorry Norm

Normb666
10-03-2020, 08:06
Don't worry, Phil - just hope your hol isn't ruined, knowing you could be with us and actually enjoying yourselves. ;)

ah_sprite
14-03-2020, 20:54
All booked in for Sara and myself! Y'never know, there might be some Strats there this time!

Normb666
15-03-2020, 15:49
Good 'un! :)

Anybody else wants to come and stay in the hotel - don't wait too long - 9 of the 12 rooms have gone already!! Can't believe I'm so popular!

john
14-05-2020, 11:49
Any thoughts Norm?
I suppose the dates for this could be just right if all goes to
( Boris') plan?

Normb666
14-05-2020, 14:27
Yo John, just posted in David's Yorkshire Run thread about having to move dates. That one deffo won't be going ahead in June, but he's proposed September or October as alternatives, or maybe just forgetting about it for this year.
As for the Northern Run, as you say, we might still just be OK if the stars align. But if not, my fallback is for September 12th if possible, as that's the Saturday when the Lindisfarne tide times are in line with our itinerary. I'm not considering October as it's a bit too late in the year for me, so if neither dates come off, it'll be next year...but at least I should have a Stratos to pose in then. I hope :)
I'll give it till July to get a feel for the lie of the land before speaking to the hotel, but it might be an idea for those booked to check their diaries to see if that alternative weekend's clear. Hope springs eternal. etc.

john
11-06-2020, 14:15
Had an email from the hotel this morning to say they are opening again in time for our trip.
What's the feeling about this?
We have some reservations about going, particularly as it seems the restaurants will not be open in the hotel, but could seriously do with getting away for a break.
We still cant stay overnight on our boat, and at our age all our friends are calling themselves vulnerable so are reluctant to socialize! Getting cabin fever!!

Longtimefan
11-06-2020, 15:32
John, I must admit, similar sentiments and thoughts in our household on this, but when I saw the email this morning, I thought the Hotel were being a little optimistic on the date anyway.

john
11-06-2020, 15:39
Understandable Robin.
Sure, the hotel may be open, but if the restaurants are closed then we may struggle to be sociable, even at a distance.
I'm imagining Norm telling jokes by semaphore......

Normb666
11-06-2020, 18:03
Funny you should say that, John - got two fingers up even as I type...not saying up where tho, before you reply ;)

But, regarding the Grand Opening (or is it the Grand, opening?), I think they're basing the re-opening date based on the government's aim to have the hospitality sector running again on the 4th July. Although they say they're only doing B&B for now, they'll obviously be looking at opening the restaurants as well ASAP, so to get an idea of their thoughts I've dropped them a mail asking them what their plans regarding that are.

I'm hoping that, with our gig being a month after their opening, they should be kicking off the actual dining by then....otherwise we'll all be having takeaway fish and chips round the corner in Tynemouth village...
It may be that we push it back a further month, to 12th September. It has to be that date because of the Lindisfarne tide times being favourable for our trip out. If neither date works for whatever reason, we'll have to call it off till next year...bummer!

As for virus nervousness, that's up to individuals, but I'm now at the sod-it stage after Our Dominic's trip to the North East and all the BLM protestors and peeps on beaches etc. rubbing shoulders and whatnot with each other. And given that we'll be pretty much isolated for the whole weekend (in cars and bedrooms), with just a few hours social interaction, and all of us still healthy, I'm willing to take the risk if you lot are too!

Anyhow, watch this space to see what the hotel's reply will be.

Normb666
14-06-2020, 17:59
*** UPDATE *** The Gig's Still On!! Wahey!!! :) ;)

OK Gang - been speaking to the hotel, and they're operating according to govt. guidelines, which at present means they can open on the 6th but still have to keep people apart, hence B&B with dinner served in your room.
HOWEVER - because this is a social event rather than just a family staying for one or two nights, they've given us a private dining room, so we can still get together as a group to eat and have a few drinkies later.

Obviously anything could happen between now and then (it's 8 weeks off, after all), so I'll keep y'all posted on here, but I'm just waiting on a list of attendees from the hotel to make sure it matches what I've got. If we concur, then there's still a couple of places left, if anyone else is thinking of coming along... obvs if anyone just wants to come along for the drive then that's OK too (Bob, I'm thinking of you here ;) )

Watch this space...or the skies...but don't walk in to any lampposts while yer at it ;)

The (Social) Norm

Redline
14-06-2020, 19:20
Norm,

I have a room booked, looking forward to it.

Mark

David J
14-06-2020, 19:28
Yipeeeeeee

Bernard
14-06-2020, 22:21
Great news Norm... we will be all ready for this event !!... fingers crossed

Normb666
15-06-2020, 12:16
More info after I asked the hotel to send me a current rooming list - only one room left from the number I initially asked for, but it looks like they've had some cancellations over the last few months cos they say other rooms are currently available (which wasn't the case previously - we got the last 12 rooms). But they're not guaranteed, so if anyone wants to put their name down, get in there quick (and let me know please!)

The other thing they mentioned was that indoor events and social functions are currently banned by the govt, so our private room is dependent on that restriction being relaxed, which they're hopeful of. The offer of the room was to ensure we could have our event without worrying about anybody else, which I thought was pretty good of them. Anyhow, more news as I get it, but right now we're expecting the Run to go ahead!

Normb666
02-07-2020, 23:53
Latest news - been talking to the hotel again (OK, not the actual hotel, but the peeps who run it...durrr!) and I'll be going up there sometime this month to 1) sanity-check the route and see if there are any "gotchas" and what's open, or not, and 2) call in at the hotel to see the function room, find out what the various arrangements are, and what we'll have to do to stay safe. Not sure what day that'll be but it won't be next week - probably the week after.

Soon as I've been, I'll update this post again with the details so we all know what to expect.

In the meantime, anyone else wants to go, shout out, even if it's just a day trip and not a stopover!

mariner
03-07-2020, 12:03
Hi Norm,

Just to confirm I will be tagging along for the Sat run.

Thought I had better update you on some of the local road changes which may or may not affect your planned route but will definitely change hotel approach.

The local council have had the 'bright' idea of making a cycle lane along the seafront from the Gibraltar Rock pub in Tynemouth all the way north to the Spanish City dome at Whitley Bay.
To achieve this the seafront road is now a one way route north bound only for cars etc and separated by thousands of cones the south bound carriageway has become a cycle lane.
All roads leading onto the seafront are now left turn only.
Unless there are any changes the only way to approach the hotel now is through Tynemouth village and along the seafront an alternative would be from the village and down Hotspur Street although you wouldn't be able to turn right at the hotel.
There may be some parking still available opposite the hotel in the new cycle lane, cars were parked there yesterday.

best rgds Bob

This is the council plan and within this is a link to a map of the changes

https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/category/1454/walking-and-cycling

Here are a couple of photos as the road outside the hotel was yesterday in top photo the BMW next to hotel is on Hotspur St.

Normb666
03-07-2020, 13:16
Hiya Bob - knew you'd be along for the ride...if you'd not confirmed, was considering calling the whole thing off... :)

Much thanks for the road situation update. I'll be up there the week after next so would have found out for myself, but the early heads-up is just the ticket. Having studied the council's proposals and docs, I'm wondering just what it is that'll be improved by the ultra-wide cycle lane? Suspending all southbound traffic will have a massive effect on tourism and business. Probably not so bad if you're local and know where you're going, but otherwise, a recipe for gridlock and disaster! Wonder why they didn't just take half the southbound lane for cycles, and have narrower vehicular lanes both ways?? And then there's the diversions around Spanish City, but I kinda get that cos of the car parking situation there.

Anyhow. This DOES affect the route of the run - no problem on the outward leg, but gonna have to change it on the return (was intending to also come back via the coast road). As for parking, I'll have to look at the situation when I'm up there...what a daft scheme to inflict on a popular tourist road.

Normb666
19-07-2020, 12:39
Just a wee update, as I've been asked if there's any news. I did say I'd be visiting the hotel last week, but due to the usual Unforeseen Circumstances I've had to put it back to tomorrow - so I'll post the latest info and need-to-knows on Tuesday (or tomorrow eve if I get back in time). In the meantime I've been chatting with the Reservation peeps (in the hotel, not the Black Hills of Dakota) and I can tell you we've been given exclusive use of the Brasserie for our evening nosh-up. This has separate tables so we can distance easily, and for those who're not bothered by such niceties, the hospital's only a hop, skip and jump away. Anyway, more info (check-in and -out times, and that) shortly!

Redline
19-07-2020, 22:01

I'm ready.....

Normb666
20-07-2020, 20:52
Well that was a bit of a long day....thick end of 500 miles and, I'm pleased to say, a successful outcome :)

First off - the hotel. Check-in is from 3pm, checkout on Sunday 11am latest. Upon arrival, as you enter the hotel, there's a temperature scanner to the left which everyone will have to test themselves against; it incorporates a camera and shows what it sees on a screen below the sensor. After a very short measuring perios it displays the reading and tells you if you're OK or not. You can then proceed forward to Reception and check in. At this point you'll also be asked about your breakfast preference - cooked full English served in the Brasserie, with a dining time, or Continental in your bedroom. For our evening meal, we have the Brasserie for our own use. It's not open to anyone else and is very spacious with well-spaced-out tables, and a great view out over the beach. I anticipate we'll be sitting down to dinner at 7:30 or 8:00 - I forgot to ask about the time but I'll check with them!
Post-prandial drinkies are available just across from the Brasserie in the Drawing Room, a bar open only to residents, or Copperfields, the pub-type thing round the back which is also open to the Great Unwashed.
Car parking - they've reserved us 4 spaces undercover in their own "The Stables" car park, just up the street from the hotel, and these are for those going in a Stratos. There might be spaces for the rest of us but it's first come, first served. There are also spaces at the front of the hotel, but you can also park around the corner in Hotspur St. The on-street parking across the road has been removed by the daft one-way system the council's set up to provide extra space for pedestrians and cyclists... not that I could see many of either today despite it being school hols...but, there are spaces on the road that runs down to the beach opposite. It's £3 for all day between 9am and 6pm, free the rest of the time, so that's an option too.

The route - well, that seems fine too, with caffs and pubs etc all seeming to be open and doing great business (it's the first week of the school hols up there, so everyone was out and about). I'll knock up the directions this week and post them on here for you all to see.

So, all looking good, and I'm looking forward to it even if you lot aren't. Still space left if you wanna come along and hone your crap-talking skills.... ;)

LOFT6.6
20-07-2020, 21:57
Hi Norm, I live locally too so can't justify an overnight stay (or two) at the Grand. I would like to join you all on the planned run though and as I still await my Chassis it will be another non-Stratos entry!
I hope that's ok and look forward to meeting some of the SEC on the Saturday.

Normb666
20-07-2020, 22:07
No problem Ade, be good to see ya. Will you be alone? Hope not or the route-reading will go to sh*te early doors :)

Bernard
21-07-2020, 08:29
We have even extended the break with an overnight stop in Helmsley on Thursday night.

PS Norm what was the vehicle of choice for your recce ??

Love my little Red Number !

Normb666
21-07-2020, 11:07
Glad you're enjoying the 124... ace car, very underrated, I reckon.

Did the recce in the Spyder. Hadn't been out in it much this year and it was good to give it a proper work-out. I'm always impressed with how capable it is - it'll pootle if you're not in the mood, and then when it's time to give it some welly it never fails to handle whatever gets thrown at it. I'll be in it for the Gig itself too. Keeping fingers crossed for good weather....but it can't be as bad as it was last year!! (...can it??)

Longtimefan
21-07-2020, 11:24
[QUOTE= (...can it??)[/QUOTE]

Yes, but get the prayer mats out now!!!

john
21-07-2020, 20:17
Count us in. Rain or shine!

Normb666
23-07-2020, 21:30

Right, after much time at the computer with Word and Google Maps/Streetview, and much use of the ole grey matter, herewith the blow-by-blow document of the route for Sat 8th....altho I seem to be having bother attaching the file, so fingers X'ed it works :)

Normb666
23-07-2020, 22:05
Was also intending to add a GPX file of the route that could be uploaded into a GPS device, but the site won't let me. So if anyone wants it, it's gonna be good old email - let me know if it's of interest (cos I'd hate to have gone to the trouble for nowt...)!

Bernard
24-07-2020, 08:40
It works Norm !!!

Normb666
24-07-2020, 08:48
Phew! Cheers Phil! That's one step forward....now, does it make any sense??

LOFT6.6
24-07-2020, 15:21

Sent you an email Norm, via this site, hope it got through?
Ade

Normb666
24-07-2020, 18:39
Ade, no, not arrived - but coulda been a full mailbox. I've cleared some out to make room so can you try it again please? Ta!

Normb666
24-07-2020, 18:43
Ah, hang on, you did it as an email and not a private message.... I've done that before and it's not worked. Can you do it as the latter? :)

LOFT6.6
24-07-2020, 19:33
PM sent Norm.

Longtimefan
24-07-2020, 22:45

Traced it on the map, it all we seems to fit, not sure about the 'odd' bridge? Looking forward to it, see you all on the 7th.

Internet just returned after a 24 hour or so missing, was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms.

Normb666
25-07-2020, 13:42
Robin, it's just an odd-looking bridge (just as you hit Lesbury), with the supports looking a bit like butterfly wings, that's all...it's more an observation so you know you're on the right track :)

Only a fortnight to go now - 16 people staying over in 9 rooms, and another couple along for the day. Very intimate! (...no, not like that...!)

Normb666
25-07-2020, 16:15
A little more news/info on our accommodation:-

Dinner on the Friday will be at 7:30. On the Saturday, it'll be 8:00, to give everyone time to get back and chill a bit before eating. Face masks will not be compulsory anywhere in the hotel, but if it makes you more comfortable, no problem.

For those coming just for the run, you won't be able to enter the hotel, as it's residents only (although I'm sure you can go to Reception to ask for someone). The only publicly-accessible area is Copperfields bar (round the back, just up Hotspur St.), which I mention merely because you'll undoubtedly wish to show your appreciation of a grand day out :)

Think we've covered just about everything now, but if there's anything else you want to know (relating the the run, not the reasons for the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire or the like), then shout out!

Longtimefan
25-07-2020, 23:42
it's just an odd-looking bridge

Sorry Norm, just thought you had hit the 'd' instead of an 'l'. I'm therefore impressed with your typing.

Normb666
26-07-2020, 21:04
Robin, I'm just that "type" of guy :)

And, something you all might be interested in for the Sunday: there's a semi-open-air market at the Tynemouth Metro station, on the platforms, at weekends, and there are all sorts of interesting stalls and stuff. Might be worth a look on Sunday morning before you head off home? It's not far from the town centre, bit of a walk from the hotel, but there are car parks here and there if you have a look on Google Maps.

Also, if you want to make your drive home a bit of an event - you can take the B6318 west from Newcastle, which is actually constructed on top of Hadrian's Wall for part of its length, and parallels it for the rest. Great drive with loads of interesting stuff if you're into that kind of thing. I'll most likely be heading back that way...

Redline
27-07-2020, 19:55
After a bit of a learning curve and some experimenting, I have produced a Tulip style roadbook to augment Norm's route notes. Norm's notes are the preferred format, but I'd be interested in finding out how the Tulips go down and whether anybody might be interested in experimenting further. The route instructions are synced with Norm's notes.

The club has a subscription to use the Roadbook prep service so let's see if we can make use of it.

Have a look....

Mark

john
27-07-2020, 20:20
Nice one Mark. Do we all have the tripmaster app downloaded to our phones?!
It works well as long as your gps signal is not interrupted!

Normb666
27-07-2020, 21:16
Just a slight amendment - at direction (14) it says NEWBIGGIN - should be LYNEMOUTH. That's in both my instructions and the tulips. Also note that at instruction (20) in the tulips, it says TOWN CENTRE, ALNWICK. This is actually a direction sign, i.e. "this way for..." - it doesn't mean you're entering Alnwick Town Centre :)

**** I might have made a boo-boo here as Mark had already corrected his document, so ignore the above! I think the software I use to view PDF files opened up the first version and I didn't notice. Or maybe I'm making excuses and I'm just rubbish :) ****

STR_Strat
30-07-2020, 12:41
Have booked for the Friday and Saturday so will bring the Strat and the sun.

Dave

Normb666
30-07-2020, 13:14
Wahey! Another Strat! This could be a new record for club drives!! Great to have you along - see you a week tomorrow!

john
03-08-2020, 07:54
Heatwave on the way for the weekend.
Guaranteed.

Normb666
03-08-2020, 10:04
Thanks John - that's the kiss of death for any good weather we might have had :)

But seriously, I've been keeping an eye on the forecasts and it does indeed look to be shaping up to be a good 'un. Of course, all that can change dramatically....still keeping fingers crossed, for that, and managing to duck any lockdown changes that might affect us!

Normb666
03-08-2020, 12:48
*** For those attending - don't forget to print off a set of directions! I won't have any copies with me like I usually do, due to the printer being out of service and I've not got round to sorting it out. ***

Think we're all pretty much set now (unless there's some serious government backpedalling which means we have to call it off), so in the absence of any last-minute info you need to know - be there or be square, as they say! See ya on Friday!! :) :)

Stratos Fear
03-08-2020, 12:48
Hi Norm et al - hope you have a great weekend with the weather to match. (I was in Cornwall last week where the temperature didnt get much above 20 degrees while back at home it was considerably warmer) - wish I was going on your weekend jaunt but maybe next year !

ProtoTipo
07-08-2020, 07:55
Don't forget your 'air con' everyone?

Longtimefan
07-08-2020, 08:54
Don't forget your 'air con' everyone?

And make sure the Heater valve fully turns off!!!

Normb666
07-08-2020, 12:25
Nah, it'll P down. Has to, cos it's the Northern Drive-Out, and It Is Written :)

ProtoTipo
07-08-2020, 12:58
I wondered if the shower cover could stop the greenhouse effect, when parked?

GerryA
08-08-2020, 01:18
Hope you all have a great Drive-Out......and remember to post lots of pics please!

LOFT6.6
08-08-2020, 17:26
Hi Norm, just a quick thank you for organising today's run and the weather of course! Paul really enjoyed it too and sent his thanks.166331663416635
It was great to meet so many of the guys and chat about their cars.
Hope your "Gala" Dinner is a success tonight and safe journeys home tomorrow.
Cheers!
Ade

mariner
08-08-2020, 19:22
Hi Norm,

Many thanks for another great run and out especially for starting so close to home nice to catch up with you all again and meet some new faces.
A grand turnout of cars and I hope you all enjoyed the drive.

rgds Bob

LPH_UK
08-08-2020, 22:06
Are those pics from today? I've been in North York near Whitby today and it's been grey, breezy and only 17 degrees.

john
09-08-2020, 00:02
Aye, that was this morning.
Best of the weather North of the Tyne today.

ProtoTipo
09-08-2020, 08:06
Lots of Stratos and no rain!
What's going on?!

john
09-08-2020, 13:24
It's the new "Norm"......

Normb666
09-08-2020, 19:16
After last year's ever-so-damp do, we were owed a bit of decent weather! Sun and blue skies all day Sat, bit overcast this morning but that soon burned off and another good day.

The whole thing was a 5-star success (but then, I would say that, wouldn't I...). Hotel was fantastic, food and service irreproachable, and just over the road from the beach. On the run itself, no-one got lost even though we soon got separated, and most peeps did the whole route, which was basically interesting stuff and places for the first part, then into the wilds of Northumberland for some great driving roads and no (or very little) traffic. So summat for everyone! And of course an ace evening to round it all off :)

Having no fewer than 6 Strats was the icing on the cake. That's as many as I've seen anywhere, other than the club stand at the AGM. The line-up outside the hotel was a show-stopper - couldn't believe how many people were looking at the cars, and all with big grins...bet you wouldn't get that with a Ferrari club outing! Spoke to a few kids who were goggling at them and guess what, they all knew what they were too - so maybe there's hope for the future yet! One woman told me how she used to live in Africa and would watch the works cars on the Safari rallies, and seeing "our" cars made her day.

Ade, great to meet ya and have you and 'Er Indoors' drive with us, and your mate Paul in his McLaren...although I didn't get to find out which one it was, cos they all look the same to me! :) And Bob, glad you could make it - not sure I could call it a proper Northern Run if you didn't turn up!!

Anyhow, a Big Ta to everyone who came along, and I hope you'll all do it again next year...wherever that might be!

Bernard
09-08-2020, 19:40
Hi Norm
Many thanks again for organising a great weekend again... even organised the sun !!.... great run, great scenery, great roads, great company, great social.... so overall..... not bad !!!
Cheers
Phil and Helen (Boxster !)

David J
09-08-2020, 21:54
Norm
We had a throughly enjoyable weekend it was great to see everybody again in these strange times. It brought back a bit of normality. On the way home we heard an almighty roar behind us, it was the North East’s chapter of Hells Angels that streamed past on their hogs.

David and Pat

STR_Strat
09-08-2020, 22:23
Thanks again Norm for a great weekend, much appreciated.
Thanks also to Chris and Mark for the scenic route home.
Looking forward to the next one :)

Dave

Longtimefan
09-08-2020, 23:22
Norm, thank you from Carol & I, great weekend, with great company, great hotel with great staff.

Well done you, and to Leah for letting you do it.

Robin

Normb666
10-08-2020, 00:03
Thanks all - couldn't have done it without you. Well I could, but it'd just have been "a weekend away" and there'd have been no point doing the directions :)

David - the Hogs were staying down the road in Whitley Bay. We passed them at their hotel on the run. Just think, with a slight change in emphasis on how we get our jollies, it coulda been us... yeah, can just see you lot in leathers, denims and cutoffs. Not :) :)

May well go along with Carol's suggestion of re-doing Kielder next year, and incorporate a break-out "back to base" part-way round, for those who don't want to do the full-on 200-odd mile route. Then again, I might come up with something else entirely...Isle of Man, anyone??

Redline
10-08-2020, 22:04
Safely home, without any incidents. Over 1000 miles, >30 mpg on the motorways, <20mpg on the cross moors driving... excellent stuff.
Great weekend, thanks to all for such good company and especially to Norm and Leah for making it all possible.

Note to self, I think the air heated by the front radiator comes out of the louvres, up the screen and straight into the top scoop and then the cockpit.. need to invest in an F1 style water cooled vest

john
11-08-2020, 10:12
Yes indeed, it was a cracking weekend, so thanks Norm, and to answer your question, of course we will come again, but preferably of course in a Stratos.
Although, I have to say in view of the hot weather there was some attraction in watching everyone else adventures from air conditioned comfort.
Following Mark out of Rothbury though definitely brought in a few pangs of jealousy when he dissappeared into the distance so quickly!
Great stuff, thanks to everyone for making it so enjoyable and interesting.

Longtimefan
12-08-2020, 21:27
Some more photos, the line up. (It was not a 'Le Mans' start, it was very sedate)

And one of Britain's premier castles, Bamborough, it is enormous, and yes the sky was really that blue.

Normb666
12-08-2020, 22:24
It actually WAS a Le Mans-style start, but with a kick-off time of 10:00 and the participants being so knackered, we lined 'em up across the road and said "Go" round about half 9...not sure any of them actually noticed though ;)

westonTB
12-08-2020, 23:14
That looked like a lot of fun, wish I could have made it. Robins paint job is just perfect, love it :)

ProtoTipo
13-08-2020, 07:59
The right way up:

Longtimefan
13-08-2020, 09:05
Thanks Chris, the forum site has been behaving its self with my photo posts recently, I had thought that there must have been a software update that stopped the frustration of the random revolutions, but obviously not. I did try with that one but failed.

Longtimefan
13-08-2020, 18:29
Our Cumbrian Extension.

We stayed a few nights in Keswick with the intention of revisiting some old haunts from years ago in the days of free for all road rallies. Carol drove the car for the first time this trip on the approach to Honister Pass, but soon, rightly, asked me to drive due to the slow moving traffic that we encountered shortly after the start of the climb. perhaps not the best place to start, when you haven't really driven it that much.

However, after that incident the traffic was not so bad and we experienced a great drive over Honister down to Buttermere and onwards to reach the main road down to Seascale and Ravenglass where we stopped for a leg stretch. We parked the car on the small car park there that was nearly empty, but when we returned we found a man looking at the car, who had been told that there was a Stratos on the car park and had driven there too have a look. He said that he had been thinking of building one but thought he was to old to contemplate it at 'just coming up to 60!!!!' I suggested otherwise !!!. We also encountered a very ebullient Italian gentleman who was very excited at seeing such an Italian inspired car, and who was the exact image of the person the car was designed for, dark haired short and slim, he had no trouble sitting in!!!

From Ravenglass we went inland over Hardknott Pass and on to Wrynose and then The Langdales. Amazingly there was hardly any traffic on Hardknott and none on Wrynose, so extremely enjoyable, although taken somewhat cautiously due to sheep.

The following day, on the way home with the boot brimmed full due to having everything including the proverbial kitchen sink, (my wife does not do travelling light) a stop at a favorite Ladies shoe shop in Windermere was called for, and fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) there just happened to be an on street parking slot in an end bay right outside the shop, on Windermere's main street, the Cameras were out in force. Three pairs of shoes in boxes had to travel home in the passenger foot well, it was a little crowded and warm with the outside temperature in the upper twenties. Fortunately the A/C struggled but did have an effect.

So after a total of just over 850 miles for the weekend we returned home having had no problems, other than space for excessive luggage.!!!

1669116688 Top of Hardnott Pass

ProtoTipo
14-08-2020, 08:38
90 degrees clockwise:

Redline
14-08-2020, 09:08
Brilliant adventure

ProtoTipo
14-08-2020, 13:21
90 degrees clockwise:

'Just out of interest, which way up are the photos in Robin's post, before mine?

'Hang on, it's been asked before:
https://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/4562-website-and-Microsoft-Edge-issues?

ah_sprite
23-08-2020, 12:45
Apologies for my late reply to this thread, it’s been a busy couple of weeks.

A big Thank You to Norm for organising another fantastic weekend away. Great company, lovely hotel, fantastic weather and a lovely setting! Having not been able to use the car much this year so far, I managed to clock up well over 1000 miles in the space of a week, and enjoyed every minute of it!

It was great to see a good number of Strats attending, leaving the hotel on the Saturday morning for the run out, I think it must have been the first time there were 4 LBs in convoy! Nice to bump into David, Mark & Co on the way home on Sunday too, on the fantastic Middleton-in-Teesdale road.

Looking forward to the next one.

Normb666
23-08-2020, 15:03
Great pics there, R!
Looking back on the Gig I'm not sure how I'm gonna top that one....maybe I should quit while I'm winning and not do any more? What do we think? ;)

Bernard
24-08-2020, 13:34
Great pics there, R!
Looking back on the Gig I'm not sure how I'm gonna top that one....maybe I should quit while I'm winning and not do any more? What do we think? ;)

Yeah right !!!

Normb666
24-08-2020, 19:49
Well I do declare!! Do I surmise that my intentions and integrity are being impugned?? ....or are you just calling my bluff... ;)