PDA

View Full Version : Handy garage tools

Stratos Fear
23-05-2020, 13:17
I was thinking the other day about what tools I have found useful in the garage (aside from the obvious sockets and spanners) - and which I didnt use much before the build.

My list of invaluable kit is :

1) China graph pencils - black and white
2) A plastic caliper - I think this was a freebie in some magazine years ago and I use it all the time for measuring drills and rivets, hole sizes etc (I've also got a battery powered one but the battery keeps going flat)
3) A set of metric thread guages
4) The Sealey auto probe - mentioned in one of my posts (v useful)

Anyone else like to mention their favourite (garage !) tool?

john
23-05-2020, 13:57
One I've found really useful is an adapted computer power supply. You can mount it on a board, gather all the yellow supply wires together ( 12v+) and the blacks ( negatives) and you can use it to test stuff. Also 5v supply ( red wires) so you can test ecu powered stuff too.
Cost zilch as I saved it from a redundant PC.

john
23-05-2020, 14:01
And I've also just got round to using the electrolytic rust removal tank I talked about months ago.
Works a treat on my old motorbike bits.
Not many people building Stratos reps with rusty bits these days, but handy if you are doing other stuff. It really does work well.
Clear instructions for making one abound on YouTube.

Redline
23-05-2020, 15:55
What I want is a Stratos face mask....for doing the car and the shopping....

LPH_UK
23-05-2020, 18:19
I bought a set of 150 mm Ball-End Hex Socket Bits that have been very useful.

Flex head ratchet spanner are great

And my 3/8 Stanley Fatmax 'rotator' ratchet is genius, don't know how I used to manage without it.

Stableblock
24-05-2020, 07:15
I wouldnt part with my baby bandsaw which I bought on ebay (Table from SWAG and Makita cut off saw) great for all sorts of smaller metal, plastic, GRP etc cutting.
Wiha colour coded allen keys are also great as are Qmax cutters even if you always need another.
I have a hole punch tool set that makes neat burr free holes in sheet metal provided you want them near an edge. Just centre punch, position, squeeze and you're done!

Lancialulu
24-05-2020, 08:57
Electric hoist on an I beam across my garage. Cradle for ebay. Hoist on local Machine mart returns shelf half price. Wheel dollies bought 2 from SDS originally for a quick solution to move around a 4 post lift steel work, but now used as handy trollies for gearboxes, engines etc. "go-through" socket set - these are lower profile and get to some tricky places. Also can put another tool (screwdriver etc) through the middle of adjusting.

hollytree
24-05-2020, 09:00
The long magnet out of a broken crank position sensor taped on the end of a bamboo stick.

Bernard
24-05-2020, 09:55
Mine is the scissor lift that the current Fiat project sits on..... its been up and down like a Yoyo..... and saved my knee's !

Recently bought a 90° drill adapter ... this can get in fairly tight spaces to get you a drilled hole.

Longtimefan
24-05-2020, 10:01
Super knee pads and a head torch.

Basher
24-05-2020, 10:25
Hi my most used tool . the phone ! take as many pictures during dismantling parts etc.. it helps no end to re-assemble them, and goggle everything if your suck like how to take x 1/9 door handles apart with out using a sedge hammer :D

Guy Mayers
24-05-2020, 10:53
Hi my most used tool . the phone ! take as many pictures during dismantling parts etc.. it helps no end to re-assemble them, and goggle everything if your suck like how to take x 1/9 door handles apart with out using a sedge hammer :D

About time somebody mentioned a hammer.

David J
24-05-2020, 11:10
4” angle grinder has so many uses

john
24-05-2020, 12:08
.. its been up and down like a Yoyo..... .

Well done for keeping it clean there Phil.

Normb666
24-05-2020, 14:15
I've got something called a Leah, which brings you brews and cake at various intervals, which is truly fab - but Jeez is it expensive to run :)

ProtoTipo
24-05-2020, 18:07
I've got something called a Leah, which brings you brews and cake at various intervals, which is truly fab - but Jeez is it expensive to run :)

Virtual assistant?

Normb666
24-05-2020, 21:51
That's pretty much how it works...and sounds :)

Only difference is, it's not a virtual assistant, just an intercom...

Longtimefan
25-05-2020, 13:17
Mine is the scissor lift that the current Fiat project sits on..... its been up and down like a Yoyo..... and saved my knee's !

This is on my wish list for the Garage, (what we may wish for in the Garage) would then need less use of the knee pads.

westonTB
25-05-2020, 14:01
A good bottle of red... & the odd safety beer.

GerryA
25-05-2020, 23:00
[QUOTE=Longtimefan;50019]This is on my wish list for the Garage

On my wish list too!

There's a few of things that have been more than handy:-
Combined grinder with belt sander (Draper) - worth it's weight in gold
Pneumatic pop riveter - bit of a luxury but inexpensive and makes riveting a pleasure
Vernier calipers - hadn't used them for years but so glad I have them for checking drills, hole sizes etc

One thing I wish I had is a decent hand held vacuum. I use an old G-Tech one but it's on its last legs and I am loathe to splash out on a decent one just for the garage