PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen installation

Stratos Fear
17-07-2020, 18:28
I've been thinking about what is involved in installing my windscreen and was wondering about calling in the experts (one of those man-with-a-van mobile installers).

How difficult is it ? any ideas ?

I have the screen, the rubber moulding, a tube of special adhesive (2 years out of date because I've had it for so long !) and some special cleaner stuff.

What I dont have is one of those suction handle thingy's .

Any thoughts/guidance on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Normb666
17-07-2020, 19:53
Personally, I wouldn't even consider doing it myself when you can get a mobile installer to do the job. And think of how you'd go about positioning the screen on your own with all the sticky stuff in place...you'd be wiping Sikaflex (or whatever) off the inside and outside for months, and that's without considering how many years you'd take off your life worrying you'd drop it :)

LPH_UK
17-07-2020, 21:43
What Norm said.

I'll be getting the pros to do mine.

Guy Mayers
17-07-2020, 23:04
Pros have done mine twice now. Paint and glass - the only things I would leave to the experts every time!

Griff
18-07-2020, 00:11
Wot they said

Fingers
18-07-2020, 07:12
I did my own, it was actually pretty easy. I put it in position, and made some small alloy packers in a couple of spots along the bottom to get it in the correct spot. Pulled it out, painted on the primer for the sealant, applied the sealant to the predetermined thickness as established when it was in position, and gently put it back in place. Put a bit more sealant in where it was needed, and also put some waxed string in to help if I ever need to change it. It really wasn't difficult or that time consuming.

The only thing I would mention is that you should put some extra sealant in along the bottom where water will sit when you wash it or if you drive in the rain.. Mine has sucked a little in between and gone foggy on the black border at the bottom, a glazier told me that's what caused it.

ProtoTipo
18-07-2020, 07:53
Pros have done mine twice now. Paint and glass - the only things I would leave to the experts every time!

Did that include fitting a GB alloy surround at the same time Guy?

Guy Mayers
18-07-2020, 11:00
Did that include fitting a GB alloy surround at the same time Guy?

Oddly enough no Chris! Both fitters said let the screen set and came back the next day to deal with the ally trim. I had to insist that one of them actually billed me for his time, had to think that you could get excited about fitting a screen!

ProtoTipo
18-07-2020, 12:46
Oddly enough no Chris! Both fitters said let the screen set and came back the next day to deal with the ally trim. I had to insist that one of them actually billed me for his time, had to think that you could get excited about fitting a screen!

They were very interested in the car?
The trim is a lovely thing, but has no function other than that, so fitting it at a different time makes sense.

Guy Mayers
18-07-2020, 13:06
They were very interested in the car?
The trim is a lovely thing, but has no function other than that, so fitting it at a different time makes sense.

First one did it as a red stradale back in 1991 Chris - had never seen one, don't think he knew what it was. He billed.

Second one did it as the Gp4 Pirelli and he was the petrolhead, took loads of pics for his company website, didn't want to bill. Trouble is, I believe in paying peeps for their time/expertise plus a bill = guarantee it it goes tits up!

Stratos Fear
18-07-2020, 14:37
Thanks everyone - majority seem to think I should use the experts - and I dont have Paul's skills - so that is what I will do !

ChrisCar6
18-07-2020, 22:40
I removed my broken one myself, then got a mobile fitter to fit the new one. I would unquestionably pay a professional to do both tasks if they ever become necessary again.

Guy Mayers
18-07-2020, 23:00
Plus one for that Chris. Took the ally trim off carefully but the screen itself was a pig of a job to get out..