PDA

View Full Version : Not what I expected

Longtimefan
05-10-2020, 18:10
I did a MSUK Steward job at Prescott over the weekend, and when I saw the entry list that there was a 1952 Lancia Aurelia entered I thought I was going to see a Saloon !!!!

It has quite a long wheel base but sounded fabulous when firing properly!!!! It was extremely wet, and it has an exposed distributor more suited to warm Italian days. Upholstered cockpit as well.
It had a bit of a job on against current hillclimb machinery running ex F1 engines.

john
05-10-2020, 18:25
Beautiful thing Robin.
Thanks for sharing.

Normb666
05-10-2020, 19:52
That's nice. Still got the Aurelia wheels too! See they've ditched the sliding pillar front suspension tho. Wonder when it was built? I'm guessing back in the 70s when an Aurelia was just a cheap rusty old nail.... *sigh*.

ProtoTipo
06-10-2020, 09:04
It's a Volpini, I think?

I remember Omicron had a mid engined monoposto with a Fulvia engine and gearbox.
'No idea what that was?

Stratos Fear
06-10-2020, 14:29
Looks like it was doubling as an off-roader - it has about 6 inches of ground clearance!

Longtimefan
06-10-2020, 17:37
It probably needed it, the track surface resembled a river and it looked more like a JetSki going up. Narrow tyres were an advantage in this case, it won its class by being closest to its Handicap, the speed merchants with their big fat tyres had no chance.

It certainly was not designed for 'ground effect'.

You can see the mud it collected in the photos, although underneath had washed clean.