PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new member in the Midlands!

Willtord
01-11-2020, 08:33
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I hope you are all well!

I was considering a Porsche 356 replica build to occupy my time, when I chanced upon the autocar video detailing the Lister Bell STR.

Being in the midlands, and discovering that they weren't far from me, I initiated contact, firstly by trying the 2 mobile numbers they have listed on their website, numerous times. The mobile numbers just rang out, no answerphones, nothing.
I then sent an e-mail asking if they were still in business and when I could visit to view their offerings with a view to placing a deposit on a "factory built" vehicle.

I was told that visits were limited to the collection of cars and that order books were full until 2022 and further orders were not being taken at present.

I had a number of technical questions which I asked, but have been told that "things change so quickly in our world and to discuss something that is in place now is a futile effort as it will most likely not be relevant by the time we start taking orders again".

Questions that I wanted to ask concerned things like Zinc dipped/plated & powder-coated chassis, widebody/wheel-arch spec, NACA ducts on the "Corse I" car and possibly an order for the "Le Mans" body, LCD instrumentation and engine choices, 2GR-FE turbo/supercharged.

I must admit, I feel as though my strong enthusiasm for ownership has been somewhat extinguished as a result of me not being "allowed" to talk to someone.

I'm a "car" guy (I'm sure we all are, here!), my dad was project manager on the Ford RS200, then Jag XJ220 and McLaren F1 road and race cars, I had a spanner instead of a rattle when I was a kid and spent most of my spare time in the garage, still do.

I need a fix! (with pop-up headlights, please!)

Normb666
01-11-2020, 15:41
Hi Will - I understand how you might be feeling a little deflated, but allow me to ameliorate your depression somewhat!

It is beyond doubt that both LB and Hawk make excellent products, among the best in the component car world, which have of late become very desirable to serious and wealthy collectors/enthusiasts who not that long ago would've been washing their mouths out at the mere mention of the expression "kit car". This has driven up demand and prices, and unfortunately also the waiting lists! What's not changed so much is that these are tiny companies with a small number of staff, who're now having to work flat out processing their orders, while still having to deal with supply issues (suppliers give much more attention to orders for 500+ of a part, rather than the 10 or 20), not helped by issues around Covid-19 or whatever number we're up to now. Basically, they're rushed off their feet, and unable to say from one week to the next just what work they'll be able to do on a given car, simply because they'll have been let down by a supplier or the paint shop or whoever. So they're probably right in asserting that discussion over spec now is a bit futile, as things do change, and you can't put in an order anyway. It may be that they'll have more time to spend on potential customers and discuss possible options, rather than firm orders, shortly, if the mooted workforce increase comes to pass.

Can I suggest you visit their website for info on possible specs, and browse this forum to see builds in progress and completed cars? And even ask questions of those who own an LB? Don't give up on the dream, just have a little patience, and cut LB a little slack. It'll be worth it!

By the way, I've no commercial connection to LB. I'm merely a current customer waiting for his car, and they really are nice people to deal with. (That's another tenner off the final bill :) )

Cheers!

Norm

P.S. - welcome to the club! :)