PDA

View Full Version : New Metal Nose Badges

ProtoTipo
12-03-2021, 12:19
I did clear this with Peter regarding the resin badge project, before posting.

A year ago I had a quote for some possible metal Lancia nose badges.
Nothing exists at the moment to view, which is a bit of a problem.
Here is the message from the supplier, who is Robert James, 'Car Badge UK'.
T 02477 863 864 | E rob@carbadgeuk.co.uk | W w<wbr>ww.carbadgeuk.co.uk (http://www.carbadgeuk.co.uk/)

We did quote before Chris,
Please see below:

Please see price below for the metal badges:
Artwork – Free
Set up – Free
50 units - £10.00 per unit
Delivery – Free to 1 UK address
Plus vat

As I said, no badge example to view, but Rob did send me the artwork, which looks correct, apart form the black parts should be dark blue (see image attached)
It's difficult to commit to buying something you can't see and example of, and the badge manufacturer won't go ahead without funding.

I have no wish to oversee this order, if it does go ahead.

Is there any/enough interest from club members?

Normb666
12-03-2021, 14:37
That's a very reasonable price, I reckon, for what looks like a nice product (although you don't know till you see an actual example). It'd probably have to be a club buy at that quantity though, and we'd probably stick another few quid on to cover having to stock them, and also a small profit for the club funds. You did used to be able to get them from Omicron, but they were a lot more expensive - don't know if they still sell them.

The awkward elephant-in-the-room situation, though, is where these might go onto the nose of non-genuine cars. I don't think we could condone that as a club, certainly not after the C-Type replica debacle, so they'd be sold on that basis. I'll have a word or three with other committee members and see what they think, so watch this space...

Chairman Norm

ProtoTipo
12-03-2021, 15:51
You did used to be able to get them from Omicron, but they were a lot more expensive - don't know if they still sell them.
Chairman Norm

I had one of those, surplus, a while ago Norm:
Omicron Badge (https://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/4295-New-Omicron-Nose-Badge)

It came with some wheels I bought, and I already had an original badge.

Normb666
12-03-2021, 16:20
I've still got one....don't know if I'll put it on mine. Maybe with "by ListerBell" underneath it (as it's a pre-LB-name-change car)?

I put one on my Allora, but used a Beta grille badge carefully sliced around the "circle" to get it thinner. Looked OK actually.

LPH_UK
12-03-2021, 17:48
If they could make these badges with decent fixings on the back (like threaded posts) then I'd have one! I have an Omicron Badge and they use very small posts and clips that just push on. A bit of the chrome plating also flaked and fell off........

Images of other work on their website look good.

David J
12-03-2021, 18:12
Norm I did the same as you and modified the Lancia Beta grill badge it looks basically the same as the original.

ProtoTipo
12-03-2021, 18:42
If they could make these badges with decent fixings on the back (like threaded posts) then I'd have one! I have an Omicron Badge and they use very small posts and clips that just push on. A bit of the chrome plating also flaked and fell off........

Images of other work on their website look good.

That's a good point Leigh.
The older Omicron badges (late 1990s) had long threaded studs and nuts on the back.

The original Stratos just had a very short self tapper. The best solution they could come up with for retaining the (pre riveted) Fulvia hub cap badge.
'Not the best fixing idea?

Stratos Fear
13-03-2021, 11:27
In principle I'd be happy for the club to buy a batch but would be guided by the Committee decision. My resin efforts were based around one of the plastic badge versions - but a metal version would undoubtedly be a far better bet and much more robust (and authentic).
I wouldnt be so worried about using one on the bonnet - after all we all put a "strato's" sticker on the boot dont we? However I can understand the concerns around design copyright (notwithstanding the fact it could be argued that the very car shape is an infringement of that).
I dont recall ever having seen an LB badge so dont know if these are available as a replacement (or indeed what they cost).

LOFT6.6
13-03-2021, 19:57
That's a very reasonable price, I reckon, for what looks like a nice product (although you don't know till you see an actual example). It'd probably have to be a club buy at that quantity though, and we'd probably stick another few quid on to cover having to stock them, and also a small profit for the club funds. You did used to be able to get them from Omicron, but they were a lot more expensive - don't know if they still sell them.

The awkward elephant-in-the-room situation, though, is where these might go onto the nose of non-genuine cars. I don't think we could condone that as a club, certainly not after the C-Type replica debacle, so they'd be sold on that basis. I'll have a word or three with other committee members and see what they think, so watch this space...

Chairman Norm

Norm, I understand your reticence, but just being an Enthusiasts Club which includes a great number of members with Homages to the original are we not already condoning this whole replica situation? As Peter mentioned there are any number of suppliers of decals already out there and if they were sold by the the Club not as a nose badge, but a "regalia" display item then it would be up to individual purchasers how they were used.

BTW I would be interested in a couple myself.

Cheers!

Ade

Guy Mayers
13-03-2021, 20:12
The Nike slogan comes to mind.

Normb666
13-03-2021, 21:24
The problem for the club is that we're almost 100% "replicas" (Guy can prob tell us how many genuine cars). It could be easily argued that it's pretty obvious where these badges would end up, whether we sell them as a display item or not, and therefore as a club we'd be condoning the passing-off of those cars with them attached, and could be accused of being complicit in an illegal activity. So having consulted the committee, I think we have to give them a miss, in order to uphold the good(?) name of the club and not bring us into disrepute.

If, however, an individual wanted to have a batch made and sell them privately, then he'd have no real idea or control over how they'd be used or where they'd end up, so could legitimately claim to be selling them for use on various Lancia vehicles or as display items. So if you've got £600 spare and fancy giving it a go, you'd probably sell the lot in short order....

But here's a thought. I had an idea whereby you could have the Lancia badges front and rear, but with a small vinyl sticker underneath that says "homage by ListerBell" or "....Hawk". That way there'd be absolutely no question of trying to pull the wool and anybody seeing it would know it wasn't a genuine car. It'd also have the bonus of giving the kit manufacturers a mention, and letting the world know whose vision and determination had enabled such fantastic cars to be created. What do we think? I might give it a go on mine.

ProtoTipo
15-03-2021, 17:34
I explained that the badge needed the correct 'levels', as in, not flat. I also explained that the ring is the furthest to the back, and the flagstaff is further forward etc.
I asked for an example of an existing badge that could show similar detail and finish.
Here it is:

Stratos Fear
16-03-2021, 12:26
Looks a bit like some creative photo-shopping to me - with shadows in all directions. However if the badge is a reasonable representation of what can be achieved looks quite good - but as Norm says probably best not a Club purchase, but if someone want to have a punt, I'd buy one .

ProtoTipo
16-03-2021, 12:29
I have no wish to oversee this order, if it does go ahead.

As I said earlier ('see above) that's as far as it goes for my involvement.

ProtoTipo
16-03-2021, 12:31
Looks a bit like some creative photo-shopping to me - with shadows in all directions. However if the badge is a reasonable representation of what can be achieved looks quite good - but as Norm says probably best not a Club purchase, but if someone want to have a punt, I'd buy one .

No, it's a real badge Peter.
You can see the photographer's face in the chrome on the left side.
It's their own logo.

Stratos Fear
16-03-2021, 12:33
It's alright Chris - I dont think anyone was expecting you to move it forward. I suspect this is as far as it goes as no-one - I'm assuming - will want to stump up the £600 or whatever, to buy a batch

LPH_UK
16-03-2021, 13:57
If I knew I could eventually sell them on I would!

Normb666
16-03-2021, 17:31
Well that's a bit daft, Leigh, innit. We all know how much you like shiny things, so if no-one else bought them....you would!!

LPH_UK
16-03-2021, 23:34
Great idea. I'll buy them and then sell them all to myself to get the money back!

Normb666
17-03-2021, 16:50
And if you price them right you could even make a profit!!