PDA

View Full Version : IVA - fallen at the first hurdle !!

Stratos Fear
30-04-2021, 18:38
I spent most of today filling out, in draft form, my IVA application and Amateur Build declaration - and more importantly marshalling my copy invoices and photographic evidence. It has taken ages to do but then when I got onto the DVSA site and started submitting my application I found the IVA application form file is too big for the Gov website !!

The limit for file uploads is apparently 5MB and the IVA Application form alone is 49MB as a PDF (it's 12 pages). So I dont think I stand a chance with my 24 build slides and 10 pages of invoices - all PDF files .

Anyone know what I must be doing wrong - or what I need to do to get the Application in? Perhaps I should just stuff it in an old-fashioned envelope and post the lot to the IVA department in Swansea .

Any thoughts and possible technical solutions would be helpful (but nothing too techy !)

Thanks

Peter

LPH_UK
30-04-2021, 20:36
No idea what you're doing wrong but doesn't surprise me that the Gov sites doesn't work properly. Bet they sent a fortune on it too!

I need to start getting my stuff together so have a coupe of questions:

How many photos do you need to show of the build? I presume it's a range of pics in various states of build from start to finish - but how many are needed and are there any specifics you need to show?

What receipts do they want to see? I presume the LB ones, engine / gearbox etc. Owt else? It will come as no surprise tht I have SHIT LOADS.

Cheers

Redline
30-04-2021, 21:08
The limit for file uploads is apparently 5MB and the IVA Application form alone is 49MB as a PDF (it's 12 pages). So I dont think I stand a chance with my 24 build slides and 10 pages of invoices - all PDF files .

Peter

Peter, A quick check on and download from the Govt sites shows an IVA application form (12 pages) at 1.7Mb, so that's the one you need to be completing. My completed one was 2.7Mb

For your other files you probably need to do two things...

1. reduce the resolution of the images. If you are using MS Word there is an option for File/Reduce file size that allows you to reduce the image sizes for all pictures.

2. possibly split the files into smaller files (you can submit more than one evidence file)

Stratos Fear
01-05-2021, 09:17
Thanks Mark - some good suggestions which I will follow up. I just got to a point yesterday when, having spent several hours getting everything together I then found I couldnt submit it - it was very frustrating so I decided to walk away and return today to try again. One other thing I noticed was that the Government site doesnt accept PDF files and prefers .Doc files or similar (.docx) so I need to be able to convert the application form into a doc file - or save it as such.

Leigh - I have built a Powerpoint presentation containing 25 slides but now think that this will not work so will try as Mark suggests and reduce the image resolution and copy them into a Word doc. I think they just want to be re-assured that it wasnt commercially assembled so if you can demonstrate various stages of build in your garage that should do the trick. 25 slides is probably too many. They also need invoices to show you purchased the kit and main components. I am going for a new registration and dont have a V5 and therefore need to show where I got the engine.

Longtimefan
01-05-2021, 10:21
How many photos do you need to show of the build?

I submitted 18 photos of the build process with my form, showing significant points in the construction (sent by snail mail) but was rejected as insufficient evidence of “Amature Build”, so then sent 57, some showing myself working on it, approval came back within a week.

Redline
01-05-2021, 10:28
Peter,

.pdfs and other file types are accepted, see screen shots below.

Also it's worth checking that you need invoice and parts evidence for IVA (vehicle safety), I thought that was part of the DVLA (vehicle registration) process.

Stratos Fear
01-05-2021, 10:32
Useful info Robin thanks

A note of correction - the DVSA application site Does accept PDF files - and Mark, although it says 1.7Mb I dont understand how it gets to that number. If I fill out the form - and I have done 3 times now - each time, once I've saved it, I end with a 48Mb or 49 Mb file. Also I cannot save it as an alternative file format (or I dont know how to).
To save any more wasted time I'm going to bundle everything up and put it in an envelope and use snail Mail .

P

Stratos Fear
01-05-2021, 10:42
Cross-over of mails !
Also Section 7 Evidence of Eligibility for Class A (Amateur Built) says " Original amateur built declaration and copy of evidence of build eg photos and invoices "

I have taken this to mean proof that you bought the bits separately and over a period of time - not altogether as a built unit - but not sure how rigorously they check it - judging by Robin's comments it sounds like they do - so I dont want to take any chances. This information seems to be required at the IVA application stage although may also be referred to again, presumably, at Registration.

LPH_UK
01-05-2021, 16:10
I submitted 18 photos of the build process with my form, showing significant points in the construction (sent by snail mail) but was rejected as insufficient evidence of “Amature Build”, so then sent 57, some showing myself working on it, approval came back within a week.

I have hundreds of pics but not a single on with me in it!

Stratos Fear
02-05-2021, 12:19
I have hundreds of pics but not a single on with me in it!

- I only had one with me holding a bundle of loom wires - which of course I included !

Regarding the IVA application - I finally managed to submit the forms last evening after slavishly cutting and pasting every page, photo and invoice into a Word document (only acceptable as the old file format .doc) - and even then I had to split the main Application Form 1C into two parts to get it below the 5Mb size limit.

At least the Application has now been formally accepted - so it will be interesting to see how long I have to wait. I have opted for the Gillingham Test Centre as my first choice.

P

LOFT6.6
02-05-2021, 12:32
- I only had one with me holding a bundle of loom wires - which of course I included !

Regarding the IVA application - I finally managed to submit the forms last evening after slavishly cutting and pasting every page, photo and invoice into a Word document (only acceptable as the old file format .doc) - and even then I had to split the main Application Form 1C into two parts to get it below the 5Mb size limit.

At least the Application has now been formally accepted - so it will be interesting to see how long I have to wait. I have opted for the Gillingham Test Centre as my firt choice.

P

Well done Peter! That sounds like it's been a real chew to get completed, but done now and just hope you get your 1st choice of Test Centre, with an amenable Tester. Do you know of anyone else who have used Gillingham for a LB?

Cheers!

Ade

Normb666
02-05-2021, 12:36
Good luck with getting a date for sometime soon! Keep us informed of how you get on...

Stratos Fear
02-05-2021, 12:50
Hi Ade - the reason for choosing Gillingham was that they should be familiar with Hawk cars as it's their local Test Centre but of course it doesnt really mean anything other than that they might be familiar with the shape / concept of a Stratos replica. I'm more or less midway between Gillingham in Kent and Southampton - so Southampton is my second choice. Let's see what happens next ! (still got one or two things to do like tidying the wiring around the steering column)

Karnevil
02-05-2021, 22:30
What receipts do they require?
Would the build stage ones from LB do or are they looking for stuff you buy to complete the build for example the gold heat reflection stuff I recently purchased?
Would including the bill from having my engine rebuilt be a good idea or bad,as it would be a professional job?
Do they really need to see me working on the build?I have real issues having my photo taken.
Would receipts for tools bought to complete the build be a good idea too?

Stratos Fear
03-05-2021, 09:52
I have included 10 receipts in total - although in fact I have a pile that is fully 3 inches thick. You obviously cant copy and send everything, so I have sent copies of the various LB package receipts (which were purchased over several years) plus a couple of Autolusso receipts for the engine re-build.
One of the other limiting factors which caused me a lot of frustration and extra time was the File size restriction of 5Mb. I resorted to copying 10 receipts onto 1 A4 sheet in a Word file and it will be interesting to see what feedback I get about this. I am half expecting them to say that the copies have come out so small as to be illegible - but let's see !
Interesting also to note that once I had managed to submit all the various forms, pictures and invoices (a bit like trying to post a shoe-box through a letterbox) the response from the DVSA seems to allow the submission of further information by using a "reply" facility to the application acknowledgement - and I wasn't expecting that , so am guessing I'm not the only one who has suffered this problem!

Longtimefan
03-05-2021, 11:40
Fingers crossed now then Peter, I've got mine crossed for you as well now.

Robin

westonTB
03-05-2021, 12:54
Good luck Peter, I am relatively close to IVA too, looked at all the forms and thought, eek! you need half a day just to look at the paperwork!

I will be posting mine, on actual paper, not that I distrust interwebs or the computerthingys etc.

Stratos Fear
03-05-2021, 17:42
Thanks Robin and Tim

Tim - I was going to post mine too but couldnt get an address . The DVLC is in Swansea and the DVSA is , I think in Newcastle - this application goes to the Technical Application department in the DVSA (wherever that is) and as I was uncertain of the exact address didnt want the application getting lost somewhere between Swansea and Newcastle with a lot of my confidential information in it. Hence I decided to persist with the online route.
However posting directly by snail mail with hard copies of everything will undoubtedly save you a couple of days !