PDA

View Full Version : Set of X1/9 targa catches

ProtoTipo
01-06-2021, 07:25
Prepared set of 4 X1/9 over centre catches, from Jeff Penfold

Over centre catches here (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184857559107?hash=item2b0a5e8043:g:eJ0AAOSw5XVgr4PA)

Stratos Fear
05-06-2021, 15:25
If you can get them for sub £100 you will be doing well !

Miss Jones
07-06-2021, 16:12
Im surprised no one has found/made/had made for them an alternative. I think someone started making lightened flywheels cause they are no longer available.... a project for someone... Not quite there yet! Hopefully someone will come up with a solution before I get to that bit. Unless of course someone already has!

Bernard
07-06-2021, 16:35
:rolleyes:......................................................................

Stratos Fear
07-06-2021, 16:44
Miss Jones - I think tht means someone is working on it ! - hopefully ready by the time you will need them

BTW - I see Jeff Penfold's catches went for £246 - which sounds like a lot to me but they are getting rarer.

Normb666
08-06-2021, 10:02
For those who are unaware, the club are currently exploring the possibility of having these made by a fabrication company. They've had access to an example and have come up with a possible way forward - as you can imagine, it's complicated with having a cast base and pressed moving parts. We're waiting for them to get back to us with prices/options, and hopefully they won't be too expensive given the relatively small numbers involved.

ProtoTipo
08-06-2021, 10:14
For those who are unaware, the club are currently exploring the possibility of having these made by a fabrication company. They've had access to an example and have come up with a possible way forward - as you can imagine, it's complicated with having a cast base and pressed moving parts. We're waiting for them to get back to us with prices/options, and hopefully they won't be too expensive given the relatively small numbers involved.

Is the quote for Stratos spec. over centre catches Norm? As in, cut down and re-drilled.
Not copies of the standard unmodified X1/9 roof catch.

Normb666
08-06-2021, 12:00
Correctamundo, Chris. You'll still need to sort your own spacer blocks to go between the catches and the body though.

ProtoTipo
08-06-2021, 15:53
Correctamundo, Chris. You'll still need to sort your own spacer blocks to go between the catches and the body though.

It wouldn't take a lot to make a mould for those
Kits end up with variable thickness blocks, from car to car, but the original cars would have one set size/thickness.

With the remanufactured catches, the bulk of the cost will be in tooling for the steel parts.

Normb666
08-06-2021, 17:52
But remember the different bodies used over the years and the subtle (and maybe not so subtle) difference in shape of the clams. Plus different positioning for Stradale and the Group 4's. And Hawk and LB already have their own solutions for those blocks, so why reinvent the wheel? (...as the discussion launches into all the different coffin spoke options...)

ProtoTipo
08-06-2021, 18:09
Plus different positioning for Stradale and the Group 4's.

There was only a Stradale production car.

Normb666
08-06-2021, 19:55
I meant the different bodies used on the kits. The rear catches are "higher up" on the Gp 4's so might need different blocks?

ProtoTipo
09-06-2021, 08:11
I meant the different bodies used on the kits. The rear catches are "higher up" on the Gp 4's so might need different blocks?

They do, but a lot of cars will use one type of block on two or four corners.
It's worth standardising on one size, at least. With the chamfer at one end.

LPH_UK
09-06-2021, 09:47
I see what you mean Chris. The front catches are the same on all cars aren't they? If so it would make sense to have the chamfer built into the catch base if possible.

Guy Mayers
09-06-2021, 10:59
I think you'll find that the tub extensions for the front clip are curved and I wonder if they're the same on Hawk and LB cars? Probably easier to leave the casting flat and take the slack up with the usual rubber blocks? It allows for a little flex and will prevent paint being damaged by hard contact.

Guy

ProtoTipo
09-06-2021, 12:05
I should have explained that better.

Leigh,
Yes the fronts and narrow arch rears should have some commonality.

Guy,
I did mean a flat alloy part, but a chamfer on the rubber part for the upper alloy part. (as in, the 'receiver' part that main part of the catch fastens to)

The 'new' catch ought to be a pattern part for the original Stradale. Including the third hole etc.
That thinking would be the same as those new wood gear lever knobs, in the way that they had the correct thread to fit Betas/Fulvia 3s and Fiat 124 Spiders.
It made the parts useful on other cars. Not just Stratos replicas.