PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate replica

Griff
19-06-2021, 11:12
Gerry Hawkridge / Hawk Cars are now well on the way to finishing the first ultimate replica Stratos (Stratii/Stratos's)

All steel shells, and utilising dimensionally correct componentry including all the suspension driveshafts, steering rack, and even the correct wiper motor and linkage.

I have the attached photos from Gerry, and he is quite happy for me to post them here. Having been dummy built, the first car has now been stripped and gone to the paint shop, with reassembly due shortly on it's return

LPH_UK
19-06-2021, 12:00
Impressive. I'm guessing they cost quite a lot......

Strat Fan
19-06-2021, 12:04
By your high standards probably not.......:rolleyes::cool:

Normb666
19-06-2021, 14:10
Congratulations to Gerry for getting this almost over the line. Always good to have yet another alternative! So there are now three options for those in the market for a Stratos replica, and interestingly none of them are in competition for the same type of buyer. Can't see this one being a budget option though ;)

Guy Mayers
19-06-2021, 14:33
There's only one engine option available for this one. Can't wait to see more progress with this car in the months to come.

Karnevil
19-06-2021, 14:36

Lets hope our man in Nuneaton doesn't get hold of one!

Guy Mayers
19-06-2021, 15:32
Gerry Hawkridge / Hawk Cars are now well on the way to finishing the first ultimate replica Stratos (Stratii/Stratos's)

All steel shells, and utilising dimensionally correct componentry including all the suspension driveshafts, steering rack, and even the correct wiper motor and linkage.

plus radiators, radiator fans and shrouds, horns, fuel tanks, wiring/fuseboxes, mirrors - and that's just the start of the list of correct components!

john
19-06-2021, 16:14
There's only one engine option available for this one. Can't wait to see more progress with this car in the months to come.

I can't fail to be impressed, but if the only engine option is a Dino, then there are not going to be a lot of these around are there?

Guy Mayers
19-06-2021, 16:19
There's a workaround using a Fiat Dino on a 308 transmission. But ideally you need a D block Dino motor. Probably more out there than you'd think but none of them will be cheap.

Normb666
19-06-2021, 16:45
If I had a 246 Dino I'd be massively upping security around the garage and keeping the V5 in a safety deposit box.... ;)

ProtoTipo
19-06-2021, 17:01
plus radiators, radiator fans and shrouds, horns, fuel tanks, wiring/fuseboxes, mirrors - and that's just the start of the list of correct components!

You forgot the Dzus towers and the reservoir bracket Guy! :D

Guy Mayers
19-06-2021, 17:11
You forgot the Dzus towers and the reservoir bracket Guy! :D

I did Chris - sorry! And the brake and clutch reservoirs, steering column and pedal boxes too. Door/window mechanisms as well. Then there's the engine bay and front clip lighting, gearknob and handbrake assembly! Although I think there might be a few parts Gerry is still struggling with like the petrol tank roll over valve and the coil of Cavis pipe he knew he had but has misplaced?

Stimbow
19-06-2021, 18:00
There were two of these when I went for my tour of the hawk workshop a few weeks back.
I learnt more about this replica than I did about the ones he sells there! I.e. for the cost of one fuel tank I could fly my family to Disneyland Florida for a week!

john
19-06-2021, 21:36
Well exactly. I see the 'ultimate' tag and understand that yes it probably is.
I assume this has been a long time coming?
I think as much was hinted at to me on the LB stand as far back as 2010. The inference was that introducing another Stratos replica was, and I think I quote, "a waste of time and effort", as Hawk were going to blow away the market with the ultimate replica.
I thought it a bizzare thing to say at the time, and a little uncharitable.
But if this is actually what was being referred to at that time then the point of the LB was being missed completely.
Different animals entirely.

renmure
19-06-2021, 21:58
Like the MAT Stratos linked to earlier in the week I think it's fantastic that there are choices out there for folk with the inclination and budget to pick an entry point into Stratos replica / homage ownership.

The MAT one went quite a bit too far away from the looks of the original for me although I imagine the performance and handling would blow an original out of the water. There must come a point tho when making an Ultimate replica of a 70s car that you are engineering things back in, "because original" which you might at the time of the original have preferred to engineer out, "because progress"?

Anyhow, it looks really interesting and I'm sure there are loads of folk with deep enough pockets to make it well worthwhile. If it was really mooted in 2010 then the lead time to date makes the 3 year wait for an LB seem like an impulsive purchase decision :D

Revs
20-06-2021, 06:50
There's a workaround using a Fiat Dino on a 308 transmission. But ideally you need a D block Dino motor. Probably more out there than you'd think but none of them will be cheap.

I do wonder how far we are from being able to 3d print an engine. Companies are 3D printing entire space rockets, including the engines, and a Dino isn't rocket science :)

colin artus
20-06-2021, 14:33
Is this a resurrection of the Gartrac project from 30 years ago. They produced 2 chassis but they didn't sell easily because the price differential to an original car was too small; that's not the case now though.

john
21-06-2021, 17:02
Is this a resurrection of the Gartrac project from 30 years ago. They produced 2 chassis but they didn't sell easily because the price differential to an original car was too small; that's not the case now though.

I don't think the shell is from Gartrac, Colin.
More probably sourced in Italy, or elsewhere in Europe?

Guy Mayers
21-06-2021, 17:18
It's possible, but not certain/confirmed, that the car will be at Stoneleigh this year.

The usual Hawk cars display tower will be in place with a small amendment. There will be a fully staffed and equipped machine gun nest on the top just in case anyone gets beyond the minefield and barbed wire that will be surrounding it. Doubters are encouraged to bring their own magnets and request a demonstration from authorised personnel.

Guy

StruanR
21-06-2021, 22:20
It's an obsession for some of us, the Stratos always turns heads, but when you have one you start to notice the details.
Four stud wheels looked wrong, so we went to five stud.
Right hand drive is a giveaway, LHD better.
And of course, the Dino engine is what we remember, singing down those stages in Wales, Ypres and others....
It's a journey, how near can you get?
Struan

NoCorseChris
22-06-2021, 08:33
For the obsessed, surely the only acceptable goal is a genuine car, no? Anything else, including the no doubt accurate latest offering from Gerry is still ‘just’ a replica, no matter how faithful it is.

Longtimefan
22-06-2021, 12:08
And a replica or a kit car will always be that, even a so called "Original" was a 'Kit Car', it just happened to be assembled by an organisation that also produced general production cars. So in my opinion, ours have an authenticity of their own, just happen to be manufactured 50 years or so later.

NoCorseChris
22-06-2021, 15:11
The originals were homolgation specials, not kit cars. They were indeed ‘bitsas’ in many ways of course, but then lots of cars are.

A decent replica is a decent replica and should be recognised and applauded for what it is, I agree.

ProtoTipo
22-06-2021, 17:43
They were indeed ‘bitsas’ in many ways of course, but then lots of cars are.

I know that Lotus' always have been, but the Elise S1 is a classic case:
SAAB 9-3 centre brake lamp
Metro hub flanges
MGF engine/box
Corsa B column and stalks
Peugeot 106 dash switches
Chevette/Kadett C suspension ball joints etc. etc.

Normb666
22-06-2021, 17:55
What we mustn't get into here is the "this is right and that's wrong" argument. The whole point of the Strat rep scene that's developed over the years is that there isn't a right or wrong way to build your car, including how far you go in replicating the original. For me it has to be RHD cos I won't be going abroad (most likely), and I embrace the modern brakes and aircon, etc offered by LB. I don't understand the LHD thing, unless you do a lot of kerb-crawling ;), but if that's what you want, go for it. Same with it having to be an Alfa motor. So long as the looks are right, i.e. it could have been produced in the factory, I'm happy. Others will have their own list of must-haves on a Strat rep. Gerry's steel-tubbed offering is/will be a fabulous thing, but not for me ta. I've no doubt he'll sell loads to those who demand total authenticity, but that doesn't make it either superior or inferior to his own current offering, nor the LB. I think it's great that there's another option, and more power to his elbow, and indeed any other bits that get involved in Strat construction :)

Stratie.fr
22-06-2021, 18:38
I don't think the shell is from Gartrac, Colin.
More probably sourced in Italy, or elsewhere in Europe?

The monocoque steel chassis is coming from Italy and the Dino engine from Germany through France with some friend’s help! ;)

ProtoTipo
22-06-2021, 19:50
The whole point of the Strat rep scene that's developed over the years is that there isn't a right or wrong way to build your car,

You haven't seen mine yet! ... :o

NoCorseChris
22-06-2021, 20:04
The right way to build any car is the way you want to imo.

LPH_UK
22-06-2021, 20:13
The originals were homolgation specials, not kit cars. They were indeed ‘bitsas’ in many ways of course, but then lots of cars are.

A decent replica is a decent replica and should be recognised and applauded for what it is, I agree.

Isn't the term for (near) exact replicas 'toolroom recreations' these days? Or summat.

Normb666
22-06-2021, 20:22
Ah yes, toolroom copies. Gotta be careful bandying the "tool" appellation though, in case anyone mistakes that to which you refer....

It can all get a bit "serious" though, can't it? Let's not forget these cars, and this pastime, are all about fun and enjoyment. Or that's supposed to be the idea anyway!

john
23-06-2021, 07:56
Ah! That word. Copy.
Is that the distinction? Replica and copy mean different things.
And when you get to copy, then you are running the risk of Mr Popper branding your car a fake!
So the thread title is correct. This is the ultimate replica.

ProtoTipo
23-06-2021, 08:01
You forgot 'homage' and 'tribute' John. :D

john
23-06-2021, 11:23
You forgot 'homage' and 'tribute' John. :D

You should be a Spin doctor Chris!

Media
23-06-2021, 22:12
Called in with Gerry last week to pick up my seats, had a good look around the car and in red it will look fantastic!!!

Fingers
24-06-2021, 07:53
The ultimate Stratos is the one that’s in your garage. I wouldn’t have mine any other way, I built it the way I wanted it. :D

Longtimefan
24-06-2021, 08:15
The ultimate Stratos is the one that’s in your garage. I wouldn’t have mine any other way, I built it the way I wanted it. :D

I totally agree, well said.

Normb666
24-06-2021, 16:01
Let's not get confused between "ultimate Stratos" and "ultimate replica" :)

The thread title is likely accurate, as if this new steel monocoque version is indeed a rivet copy of the original, then it's hard to see how much closer a replica could be - whereas the "ultimate Stratos" is entirely subjective and could be well adrift of an exact copy, depending on one's tastes.

renmure
24-06-2021, 16:47
Needs a carbon monocoque chassis these days to be in wiv da kidz. Anything else just rocks and rolls.

westonTB
24-06-2021, 23:12
Love it to bits but I am sticking with fiberglass... got enough ahem' metal? looking after the Beta's:rolleyes: