PDA

View Full Version : protective film

ChrisCar6
21-09-2021, 23:33
People seem keen on protective films to protect paintwork. Does it work on other substances?
I have an antique table that has to be kept covered all the time because it would be bad for it to get damaged. Could the film stuff reversible attach to the polished wood and mean I can see it in all its beauty?

LPH_UK
22-09-2021, 00:16
The film will only stick to something with a very smooth / flat finish. Anything with any sort of texture looks awful, even a very fine one.

How smooth is the wood?

Stratos Fear
22-09-2021, 11:04
My opinion FWIW is that it wouldnt look very good at all - it would look shiny and cheap and in the reflected light would highlight every imperfection in the wood. If it was me I'd keep the table as it is - in all it's natural loveliness and cover it only when necessary. The film would also destroy the surface when removed and it would have to be treated / french polished anew.

Gordon Caro
22-09-2021, 13:00
From what I can see of the photo the table has been refinished at some time, you could try a glass top?

renmure
22-09-2021, 17:12
Green paint.
Should offer some protection but will come off easily enough.

...... I'll get my coat :p

ChrisCar6
22-09-2021, 17:20
Green paint.
Should offer some protection but will come off easily enough.

...... I'll get my coat :p

Jim, I think the Chairman has hacked your account.

ChrisCar6
22-09-2021, 17:22
From what I can see of the photo the table has been refinished at some time, you could try a glass top?

It's 200 years old, so no doubt someone's been at it at some point. Problem with glass is the top is made up of 2 ends and 3 inserted leaves for a variety of sizes, which we use.

Thanks for the comments chaps.