PDA

View Full Version : Decals & Sticker or not

Basher
29-05-2022, 21:23
If your building a replica rally car and would like to apply a moderate amount of decals/ sticker. Will this restrict the places and events you could potentially take your car, just wondering what others have encountered ?
Also is there any restrictions on advertising you can get pulled up on. Dave

Guy Mayers
29-05-2022, 21:45
I've never had any issues with the scheme on my car but it's not used competitively. Nobody has ever made any comments on it to me, not even coppers for the number on the doors..

I think Gerry has had an issue with the red/white Marlboro car at the NEC. Advertising a cigarette brand is a bit of a no no.

Guy

LPH_UK
29-05-2022, 21:50
I think Gerry has had an issue with the red/white Marlboro car at the NEC. Advertising a cigarette brand is a bit of a no no.

Guy

Bloody kill joys. The don't seem to mind JPS on old Lotus F1 cars and the like.

renmure
29-05-2022, 22:59
Bloody kill joys. The don't seem to mind JPS on old Lotus F1 cars and the like.

I had my Type 72 Exige in full JPS livery :)

https://i.imgur.com/978aLoK.jpg

Mind you, I wasn't against a bit of Marlboro livery either :D

https://i.imgur.com/d3qpXyY.jpg

Thankfully I've grown out of such childish, attention seeking behavior. Nearly. :cool:

Longtimefan
30-05-2022, 00:07
We mainly do Classic Tours with mine, where the cut off age date for vehicles entered is usually around the mid 1980’s, but the organisers regs usually say that they will accept entries of more modern cars of an interesting nature, and have not really had any problems until recently, almost asking us to take it.

We have however, encountered an objection earlier this year where I was asked not to take it due to the decoration, on an event that toured the Cotswolds, where cars that are out of the ordinary draw focused attention to the event and thus objections to the local police and in turn the organising Club, from the vast number of second home owner weekend occupiers in that part of the country.

The entry was limited to 60, so not a huge number, but that is the problem that is increasingly a problem and the organisers understandably do not want to lose the ability to put future events on.

Normb666
30-05-2022, 13:40
So the spirit of Wordsworth and Wainwright are not yet extinct. People who live in beautiful parts of the country and tell people all about it, through their writings or more recently on social media, and revel in the envy of those who can't afford to live there but don't want the hoi polloi to venture too close in case it ruins their idyllic lifestyle. I don't get the organisers' acquiescence either - these cars are road legal and have as much right to drive through that area as anyone else, and it's only for a weekend anyway. Hmmm....maybe next year's Northern Run will be happening somewhat further south.... ;)

Stratos Fear
30-05-2022, 17:52
I've never heard of this type of objection before - it seems strange to me. Being lucky enough to live in a popular and beautiful part of the world (South Downs National Park) we locals often complain amongst ourselves about the volume of visitors but not about cars bearing racing/rallying liveries - even if travelling in convoy. We have so much traffic here that you wouldn't be able to distinguish a convoy from the normal traffic flow on a busy weekend. I cant see what difference there is between a car in racing/rally livery and a van or truck with it's company name on the side ! It's a funny old world isnt it!

Basher
30-05-2022, 19:33
Well That's all very good seems like I may just have to go with the gut feeling, just do what you wana do. as long as your on the right side of the law of course... If We all drove around in grey cars wouldn't the country be a boring place.
After all we are keeping rallying History alive. that's my take on it Cheers Dave

john
30-05-2022, 22:15
I think event organisers probably have a different perspective than we might have as individuals. They will hear the objections local residents have while carrying out PR.
I have heard that problems the Tour of Mull has in this regard come from incomers rather than true locals aware of the events history and value.

Guy Mayers
30-05-2022, 22:34
Likewise the NIMBY residents around Aintree race circuit (and others) who think that buying a property there entitles them to object to pre-existing motor sport events...

It's their solicitors they should be suing for not letting them know about what happens at these places.

Guy

Longtimefan
31-05-2022, 00:18
John is right on his take of the organisers perspective. The Cotswold second home owners are mainly London based, and they don’t seem to be able to understand and comprehend that other people like to see and admire the attractive Villages and countryside in the areas that they inhabit at the weekends, which is what attracted them, the weekenders, there in the first place.

The organisers pointed out that they do inevitably get complaints from these individuals, ‘because we shouldn’t be there passing through their Villages’ on our tour, and that it is cars that stand out from the crowd that attract the attention and get wrongly complained about.

Most of these individuals do not know what a ‘Rally Car’ is, or even a Classic for that matter, all that seem to be interested in is how much has the FTSE moved overnight, or how much has the Euro exchange rate gone up.

LOFT6.6
31-05-2022, 13:55
Well That's all very good seems like I may just have to go with the gut feeling, just do what you wana do. as long as your on the right side of the law of course... If We all drove around in grey cars wouldn't the country be a boring place.
After all we are keeping rallying History alive. that's my take on it Cheers Dave
Dave. I think they are the right sort of thoughts - just go with your gut instinct mate!
You can't please everyone all of the time, but you wil please all of us on this Forum with your finished example.....:D
Cheers!
Ade

Normb666
01-06-2022, 11:06
The trouble with event organisers bowing down to stuff like this is that it then becomes expected behaviour. It's great that they do engage in PR, and taking note of valid problems (e.g. driving past someone's front door with 300 noisy cars at 3 in the morning), but stopping cars entering based on a livery?? Just tell these sour-faced types to draw the curtains....or stay in London an extra day!

Stratos Fear
01-06-2022, 11:14
driving past someone's front door with 300 noisy cars at 3 in the morning
Norm - I remember doing this with Club rallies back in the day but it doesn't still happen does it ? If so I can understand the locals objecting ! We used to PR our event routes and if there were objections we used to re-route but I thought this type of club rallying (at night) finished a long time ago.
Daytime events - even something as seemingly harmless as Club Treasure Hunts - would no doubt attract the same adverse reaction to the NIMBY objectors but my view would be as already commented - just go for it - we all pay our road tax (well most of us !)

Longtimefan
01-06-2022, 14:35
I thought this type of club rallying (at night) finished a long time ago.

Just to keep you up to speed on this issue, they still do happen, but there are certain arrears of the Country that are avoided for obvious reasons. A google search will show that Night Road Rallying is alive and well.

Competing cars are not allowed, under the rules to have decoration, and must conform to a low decibel reading.

Stratos Fear
02-06-2022, 13:59
Thanks Robin - I didnt know they were still allowed - and no decoration ! - what does that mean ? Presumably this is the origin of the original objection to liveried cars ? - I still think it's pretty stupid but perhaps a little more understandable. Dont want to upset the civilians with blatant shows of competition on public roads.