PDA

View Full Version : Goodwood Revival

Stratos Fear
17-09-2022, 09:10
My thanks to Tom Ransom for the "guided tour" of the two amazing Ferraris that he is supervising for his client at the Revival Meeting this weekend. These cars are amazing - a Ferrari 250 SWB and a 166MM - both cars having a remarkable history.
20139 2014020141

Also came across a crashed weather balloon - which is not something you see everyday :

All in all a fun day !

Also a Lister Jag (knobbly) not a Lister Bell !

ProtoTipo
17-09-2022, 09:55
Peter,

"Who do you think you are?
Stirling Moss?!"

Stratos Fear
17-09-2022, 12:43
- well one has to (try) and look the part !! - It is the Revival after all .

AndyGuyton
17-09-2022, 17:43
Peter,

"Who do you think you are?
Stirling Moss?!"

I thought it was Alan Whicker. :p

Normb666
17-09-2022, 18:38
So THAT'S what happened to the Roswell evidence....been in storage at Goodwood since 1947 :)

But Andy - Alan Whicker. Brilliant! Hahaha!! (sorry Pete...) :)

Stratos Fear
17-09-2022, 18:43
- you're showing your age guys (rather funny though nonetheless)

renmure
17-09-2022, 19:03
I thought it was Alan Whicker. :p

That's exactly who sprang to mind for me!! :D

ProtoTipo
18-09-2022, 08:09
It's an ex Rob Walker car, (as in, white stripe across the front) and you know who his favoured driver was?
That's what I was getting at.

Alan Whicker?, there's never "too many" of those?

Steve65
21-09-2022, 22:58
I would like to add to Peter's post by extending a massive thanks to Tom and Clive, the owner of the two historically important Ferraris, for what turned out to be an opportunity of a lifetime. From Tom's original post I would have been content to be shown around the cars and perhaps be given some history that isn't written up on Google. However due to the owners incredible generosity and Tom's time my wife and I each had several passenger laps of the Goodwood circuit on Sunday afternoon in the ex-Sir Stirling Moss Les Mans Ferrari 250 SWB. Made all the more special given it's the 75th anniversary of Ferrari this year.
If anyone is planning to go to the Revival next year I suggest you get in touch with Tom as I know he will be only too pleased to show you the car's.
Thank you again Tom
Kind regards Steve and Annalisa

LPH_UK
21-09-2022, 23:32
Wow.

The 250 SWB is pretty much my ultimate car. Much better looking than the 250 GTO.

I'm jealous.....

Wasn't the owner interviewed on the grid, some discussion about there being 2 very similar looking 250 SWBs in terms of colour, No. 7 etc. and the way to distinguish them was that this one didn't have the chrome quarter bumpers on and the other (Ross Brawn's?) has them?

Guy Mayers
22-09-2022, 02:02
Wow.

The 250 SWB is pretty much my ultimate car. Much better looking than the 250 GTO.

First Ferrari I ever went in was a 1963 250GTO around Aintree Race Circuit for 20 minutes (as a passenger) with the owner using the full track, lots of drifting and opposite lock and cone clipping. Unforgettable!

Guy

Longtimefan
22-09-2022, 12:00
You were lucky Guy, I am very envious, all I ever got to do was a slow Dumper Truck ride around it whilst it was being built by Tarmac in the early 60's for whom I was working for, doing some setting out as a Junior Civil (very) Engineer. !!!

Robin.

tomsredstratos
22-09-2022, 21:29
It was a pleasure to take you and your wife round the track. You really were in the right place right time.​
Clive is a great guy and very generous with his extensive collection of classic racing cars. He really has some good stuff.
It was an honour to drive the SWB all weekend.
Let's see what gets invited next year but as said before if I'm there with cars come a visit our pits.

To clarify I look after the 1961 250 SWB SEFAC HOT ROD Comp car. Owned by Rob Walker back in the day. Driven by Moss/Hill. (also look after the 166MM in the photos)
Ross Brawn owns the 1960 250 SWB Semi Comp car sold to him by DK. Has corner bumpers, different side windows, vents, body shape etc.​

I did manage to get up alongside it on Sunday for about a third of a lap so there should be some good photos/video showing the differences.

Another story, my late Aunt lived in the same lane as Rob Walker so we knew him as a family when I was growing up. He came to my uncle's funeral.
Before Rob passed away, I drove the SWB down to his house many times with journalists and photographers for magazine articles. He was a great guy that had plenty of time for a mechanic.

The owner always likes any of his ex Le Mans cars driven of the road to events rather than transport them. He wants people to see them, and we are always happy to take the driving duties.

Note the DK yellow and black 500TRC in photo on the grid. James from DK did a rather large wheelspin off the line and broke the axle! He made up for it by winning the Sussex trophy in his Tojeiro Jaguar and a Whitsun trophy 8th in his GT40.

tomsredstratos
22-09-2022, 21:36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRjhpdxFKGs

And here it is racing at the Goodwood TT in 1961. Rob Walker with Moss on the podium.