PDA

View Full Version : Informal Days Out

Neil63
09-03-2023, 21:06
My thoughts
We mostly need a reason to drive our pride and joys out for the day. If you are like me you get bored with the local loops and equally can?t be arsed with committing to lots of weekends away for fear of letting the organisers down.
I am proposing to organise (by that I simply mean I am driving some where ) day trips all relative to where people live.
My initial thoughts are Edale area in the Peak District and the British Motor Museum at Ambergate.

I am more interested if the principle would be of interest, coffee or lunch. A Bit like the bikers do.

All the best Neil

westonTB
09-03-2023, 21:39
Count me in, we are 'next' to Edale & the roads around (above) Ambergate heading for Beeley More are as good as it gets for the peak district... it ain't North Yorkshire... (sadly)

Brilliant idea and potentially in the middle for most.

Steve65
09-03-2023, 22:00
Hi Neil yes definitely up for a cruise around when the weather permits. Obs not got a complete Strat' yet but just being in the presence will be good enough for now!

LPH_UK
09-03-2023, 23:44
You know where I live Neil! I'd be interested.

Gordon Caro
10-03-2023, 07:40
Yes, me too.
Gordon

NoCorseChris
10-03-2023, 08:29
Great idea.

Assuming my entry for Whacky Races would be welcome to tag along, me too for my area. I did 24 miles in it last year?.to the MOT and back. If I don?t do much better this year it?s getting sold.

Neil63
10-03-2023, 08:33
Great idea.

Assuming my entry for Whacky Races would be welcome to tag along, me too for my area. I did 24 miles in it last year?.to the MOT and back. If I don?t do much better this year it?s getting sold.

All welcome Chris

Bernard
10-03-2023, 09:09
I'm "IN" Neil......... Stratless at the mo' tho'

Longtimefan
10-03-2023, 09:48
Great thought Neil, of course we are interested.

ah_sprite
10-03-2023, 11:14
Yes, definitely interested!

Normb666
10-03-2023, 17:17
So a day out with people who should really have something better to do, at some nerdy place or other full of other sad gits. Yep, deffo up for it

Basher
10-03-2023, 18:03
I’m liking the idea, breakfast meet-ups,with a morning drive ?? Afternoon blasts to blow the cobwebs out my radiator followed up with a mug of tea and goodies
the hardest thing is finding days the suits everyone calendar.

renmure
10-03-2023, 18:36
So a day out with people who should really have something better to do, at some nerdy place or other full of other sad gits. Yep, deffo up for it

There goes the neighbourhood!!

I'm off the see if Hadrian needs some more bricks to make his self-build a bit taller ;)

Normb666
10-03-2023, 23:13
Barbarian :-P

Phubb
11-03-2023, 18:34
Great idea Neil. It’s not around the corner for me but as I have some making up to do after tragically neglecting my Allora for years I need now to actually use it at any opportunity.
Unfortunately the scenery and roads in Northamptonshire are nothing special and get better “up north” so please count me in.

Neil63
12-03-2023, 17:11
Hopefully something we can discuss at Phil's garage day if that’s ok ��

Neil63
12-03-2023, 17:24
I’m liking the idea, breakfast meet-ups,with a morning drive ?? Afternoon blasts to blow the cobwebs out my radiator followed up with a mug of tea and goodies
the hardest thing is finding days the suits everyone calendar.

Yep but as we are “From all over” my initial thoughts were to keep it very simple, here’s a rendezvous for breakfast / lunch (hopefully a place of interest) and how everyone gets there or leaves is up to them and develop from there. I am sure once a meet venue is proposed and I am thinking Edale for the first one then between us local knowledge can propose morning / afternoon drives.
Definitely blow the cobwebs off
I’ll firm things up after Phil’s garage day:cool:

Basher
13-03-2023, 21:04
Yep but as we are ?From all over? my initial thoughts were to keep it very simple, here?s a rendezvous for breakfast / lunch (hopefully a place of interest) and how everyone gets there or leaves is up to them and develop from there. I am sure once a meet venue is proposed and I am thinking Edale for the first one then between us local knowledge can propose morning / afternoon drives.
Definitely blow the cobwebs off
I?ll firm things up after Phil?s garage day:cool:
sounds ok with me, we can have a chat at Phils

Neil63
04-04-2023, 19:52
Quick update following Phil’s garage day. I’m in the process of working some further details with Gordon & Tim for a Sunday early May based on finishing with lunch in Edale ( The Rambler or The Old Nags Head) with most probably a pre lunch drive out en route to Edale around the Peak District including Winnats Pass ( with various rendezvous points to allow meet ups as we will all be travelling from different locations) based on Gordon’s and Tim’s local knowledge.
All the best
Neil

Neil63
06-04-2023, 20:51
Sunday 14th May.
( This avoids the Coronation weekend and 2 weeks before AGM). The end game is The Ramblers at Edale in Derbyshire for c 13:00 - 13:30 for lunch. The exciting bit is being mapped out by Gordon and Tim and will involve some challenging Derbyshire Roads where you can explore your cars capabilities, all within legal and Driver limits of course. The drive will be nearer 1hr 30mins once you are in the area. More details to follow re meet points etc but I think we now have enough to ask for an idea of interest, not least so we can liaise with the Ramblers re managing numbers. Apparently Tim knows the Landlord who is a real Petrol Head so we will receive a warm welcome.
let me know if your interested and I’ll keep the first post updated
All the best

Bernard
07-04-2023, 18:18
Count us in.....Phil and Helen (Boxster)

Basher
08-04-2023, 13:05
I’m planning on making the trip probably with a co pilot
fingers crossed for decent weather. Will lease with you nearer the time for a meeting up point
Dave

Neil63
09-04-2023, 17:22
Count us in.....Phil and Helen (Boxster)
Cheers Phil hopefully good weather

Neil63
09-04-2023, 17:23
I’m planning on making the trip probably with a co pilot
fingers crossed for decent weather. Will lease with you nearer the time for a meeting up point
Dave
Perfect Dave. Hopefully we can drive over together.
All the best

Neil63
25-04-2023, 21:43
Thanks All. Just checked in with Gordon & Tim and they are finalising the route and checking timings, so a massive Thankyou to them. I am sure with their local knowledge we should have opportunity to “Blow the cobwebs off” The route will of course be optional and dependant on where people are travelling from. Once in the Peak District area around Winatts Pass the optional route will be c 1hr to 1hr30m depending where you pick it up before a rendezvous in Edale currently at the Ramblers Inn.
Everyone is welcome to do their own thing and meet us at the Ramblers Inn which is the real purpose of the informal bit.

keep you posted

All the best Neil, Gordon & Tim

Longtimefan
26-04-2023, 08:14
Neil,

Unfortunately we will not be able to be with you for this, as we are already committed to having Grand Children that weekend, and not that they know it yet, we had already entered to do a short tour which finishes at the Ludlow Spring Food Festival. Two grand children and as Stratos only has two seats, taking our other car as well, so Children are about to have a crash course in Navigation!!!!!

Neil63
26-04-2023, 18:29
Have a great time. Sounds amazing.

Phubb
27-04-2023, 15:04
Hi Neil
Sorry but due to a change of plans we cant make it now.

westonTB
27-04-2023, 21:34
Popped over to see Steve (landlord) at the Rambler last week, had to check the beer was ok, need to re-check this. Needless to say he is looking forward to us turning up, can be chilly in Edale so don't wear your favourite swimwear etc.

Normb666
28-04-2023, 20:16
Don't see why I can't wear my swimming trollies....but was also planning to have something over the top as well...

renmure
28-04-2023, 21:23
Don't see why I can't wear my swimming trollies....but was also planning to have something over the top as well...

Argh....
Has visions of speedo's and a singlet vest.
Pokes eyes with sticks and rinses them with bleach
Ahhhh....

Better now.

Sounds like it will be a great day

Basher
29-04-2023, 07:47
sounds like it's gonna be a nice day out, sitting in the pub with the chairman eating pie and chips wearing speedo's :rolleyes:
what have I let myself into !!. lets hope there's not an heat wave.
see you all soon

Normb666
29-04-2023, 19:16
Dunno what sort of person you think I am - pies?? I think not! Oh, and no singlet either. But I'm sure I won't be crowded at the bar :) :)

Neil63
05-05-2023, 18:43
Here we go.

SUNDAY 14th MAY (Budgie Smugglers Optional)
Massive thanks to Gordon & Tim for scoping the route.

High Level Start Buxton 11:00-11:30 ( meeting at Gordons)
c hour and half driving some of the peaks most amazing and scenic roads
Finish Ramblers Inn at Edale c 13:00 - 13:30

All the details on the attached map and detailed route notes. The plan for those that choose to meet at Gordons is he will lead us off and Tim will ride shotgun at the rear
Feel free to join part way, stop and take in the amazing scenery, basically just enjoy yourselves

I shall be driving from Derby c9:45 to meet at Gordons , if anyone wants to meet up at mine DE73 6RQ or en route drop me a PM.

Basher
05-05-2023, 20:30
Yes a big thankyou the route looks great to all the planners who have put this together, I’m looking forward to meeting up and taking part, fingers crossed for some decent weather, I’m thinking of meeting with Neil on route in Ashbourne ( I will pm you Neil to arrange )
See you soon Dave

Bernard
06-05-2023, 10:46
Thanks to everyone for putting in the effort !
See you on 14th

westonTB
08-05-2023, 17:58
Did the run last night in the Hawk, Highly Enjoyable!!! On Gordons post, mileage: 23.8, think it should read: Crowdecote, also where interesting hill is mentioned in the last bit of notes there is a very large pot hole going back up Mam Nick/ Back Tor ( whatever its called!) on the left of the road, even a 205/55 would struggle!
And like Gordon mentioned, the Chevrons really aren't bluffing, especially on one of the down hill twisty Armco lined bits, = massive fun.

Stratos Fear
09-05-2023, 10:10
Looks like a great route. I remember (well not too well !) some of those roads from my student days at Sheffield many years ago when I used to navigate a Mk 1 Cortina. Wish I lived a bit closer as I'd enjoy driving it with you. Any way I'm sure you'll have a great time on Sunday - all the best !
Peter

Neil63
09-05-2023, 20:13
Thanks again Tim looking forward to a great day.
I’m meeting Dave (Basher) c10:00 - 10:15 at the Market Place Car Park in the centre of Ashbourne before driving over to Gordon’s. Anyone travelling that way is welcome to join up.

LPH_UK
09-05-2023, 21:17
Well, looks as though I won't be making this. Sent exhaust off to get cerakoted but it's not back yet.....and looks like it will be next week now before it makes an appearance.

Stratos Fear
10-05-2023, 09:54
Sent exhaust off to get cerakoted [/COLOR]]

thought you'd already coated it .... ?

LPH_UK
10-05-2023, 10:24
Sent exhaust off to get cerakoted [/COLOR]]

The manifolds are Zircotec coated but I wanted the end cans doing in black.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52885318132_c77caf4688_c.jpg

Also fitting an EWP at the moment too.

Normb666
10-05-2023, 11:06
Leigh, you don't have to be in a Strat to attend these do's, y'know! Haven't you got an interesting Aston Martin V8? Or come on one of your bikes, if you think you're hard enuff :) :)

LPH_UK
10-05-2023, 11:18
But I have got a Stratos and it would be good to attend in it!

I have a V8 Vantage not sure how 'interesting' it is tbh.

Normb666
10-05-2023, 17:18
We don't mind if you come in your Strat without any silencers on, but can't say what the locals might think ;)
All I'm saying is, if you fancy the day out, just come along. Be good to see ya!

Neil63
10-05-2023, 17:58
We don't mind if you come in your Strat without any silencers on, but can't say what the locals might think ;)
All I'm saying is, if you fancy the day out, just come along. Be good to see ya!
Yep would definitely be good to see you and I reckon any AM V8 is interesting enough or any car/bike for that matter We’ll all be driving round on Duracell power soon enough. :cool:

renmure
10-05-2023, 18:30

The manifolds are Zircotec coated but I wanted the end cans doing in black.

Also fitting an EWP at the moment too.[/QUOTE]

Hammerite paint and a brush works.

#cheapskate

LPH_UK
10-05-2023, 20:17
Yep would definitely be good to see you and I reckon any AM V8 is interesting enough or any car/bike for that matter We’ll all be driving round on Duracell power soon enough. :cool:

It'll be a cold day in hell when I buy an EV!

LPH_UK
12-05-2023, 19:25
Well the chances of me coming on the Vantage have just died a death.

Took it for a service and MOT yesterday. Wasn't expecting any issues. However.....they found that one of the front springs has snapped, right at the base. No signs whilst driving, no noises, tracked straight etc.

They want ?700 for a spring!! But it got better. I pointed out tht my car had the 'sports pack' suspension fitted as a later upgrade. 'Ah well you see sit with those you can't get the spring on it's own you need to buy the whole damper - that will be just over ?1500 please!

Really we should do the paid but seeing that the car is such low miles (the suspension has only been on it for 17k) they reckon I'll get away with just doing one.

So with the ?700 service, the MOT and the new shock I'm in for a hell of a bill when I collect it next Wed. :(

Neil63
12-05-2023, 19:29
All set for Sunday.
Current forecast looks dry if a bit cool for Sunday. Hoping this kickstarts a series of wider meets. Looking forward to a gathering. Hopefully I can double my cars pathetic 1700 miles ( since registering Oct 2021) this year.

renmure
12-05-2023, 20:39
So with the ?700 service, the MOT and the new shock I'm in for a hell of a bill when I collect it next Wed. :(

Pah.. try taxing your Ferrari for the 1st time in months, going for an MOT, passing the MOT so deciding to celebrate and have a little run... getting about 10 miles from home and.... kaboom, your clutch thrust bearing shatters and all the bits go into places they shouldn't and you spend 6 hrs waiting to be recovered on a flatbed before finding out that you are going to be over ?7k poorer when you get the car back a month later. I might have cried a little bit. On the flip side, I do have some photos of bits of a clutch and gearbox that I've never seen before but it's not much consolation. Cars!!! Grrrrr!!!! :rolleyes::(

LOFT6.6
12-05-2023, 20:52
All set for Sunday.
Current forecast looks dry if a bit cool for Sunday. Hoping this kickstarts a series of wider meets. Looking forward to a gathering. Hopefully I can double my cars pathetic 1700 miles ( since registering Oct 2021) this year.

Wishing you the best of weather and dry roads for Sunday guys and drive safely! Well done for organising Neil.
Cheers!
Ade

Normb666
12-05-2023, 21:07
Shaping up to be a good do. Fingers still crossed tho :)

Commiserations to Leigh and Neil. It's almost enough to make you jack it all in and make do with a Dacia as your only car....not that there's owt wrong with Dacias, but I'm sure they don't get the adrenaline flowing like Astons and Fezzas. And you deffo can't pose in them. Or can you....?

Basher
12-05-2023, 22:29
I’m hoping for some Sunday morning sunshine because I’ve just had a nice vinyl sun visor fitted tonight in preparation for Sundays drive around the peaks

Bernard
13-05-2023, 07:59
In preparation for the forthcoming event.... I washed the Boxster !

Steve65
13-05-2023, 14:17
Hi guy's, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it but things have worked in my favour so very much looking to join you. I'll meet at Gordon's as it allows me to drive up Via Gellia which is one of my favourite Derbyshire roads!!
ATB Steve

Neil63
13-05-2023, 19:22
Nice one Steve. See you tomorrow

ah_sprite
13-05-2023, 20:30
Won't make it to Buxton I'm afraid but will see y'all in Edale after lunch! Mode of transport as yet unconfirmed - either something green, or something yellow!

Completed circa 275 miles today, a good chunk of it on a Lancashire Motor Club event up in the Lakes/Dales. A cracking day and looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

Gordon Caro
13-05-2023, 21:13
Tea and biscuits from 11.00. Like Phil I washed the Cayman. Weather looking good. The roads even better.
Gordon

sdebez
14-05-2023, 09:00
Looks like you couldn't of picked a better day for a run out.
Hope it's clear roads for you all.
Wish I wasn't working.

GerryA
14-05-2023, 09:20
Have a great day everybody.

Looking forward to the pics!

Gordon Caro
14-05-2023, 16:33
4 Strats, 2 Porsche and a Jag. Norm and Richard turned up at the pub. Good weather, good roads and good company.

Bernard
14-05-2023, 17:33
Had a really great day, great weather and roads, thanks again to Gordon and Tim for organising everything !!
Hope your lad is feeling better Tim !
Cheers again Phil

Basher
14-05-2023, 18:24
Super day out thank you to Gordon, Tim & Neil for organising a good day out, there is some great roads up there did 225mile round trip thankfully without any major issues,
front brakes are binding/ squeaking a bit needs investigating!!.
and I must congratulate Craig and Lydia on a well engineered machine, It?s flipping amazing on them roads
See you all again thanks again Dave
Oh and the food was great ramblers inn
:)

Normb666
14-05-2023, 19:14
Yep, a fun laid-back day. I went straight to the pub with Richard to get the best seats :)

Ta to Neil, Gordo and Tim for sorting out the venue and the run, and it was a shame about Tim's son who wasn't well meaning he had to go straight home. Hope he's feeling better....and the car cleaned up OK.... :eek:

Neil63
15-05-2023, 05:26
Thanks all for a great day with good company. If anyone has an ideas for a future meet / day out please feel free to update. Doesn’t need a route just a gathering point will suffice.

Normb666
15-05-2023, 16:41
As you can see, I had to pay more in car tax than those other two, cos mine's in colour.

westonTB
15-05-2023, 22:14
Bet yours hasn't got vomit ingrained in the harnesses either... cheerio's & milk... still no colour to add to the interior, just smell:).

Sorry had to disappear, Zac was fine after a hose down and still wants to do co-driving duties!

Thanks Gordon for finding such superb driving roads on our doorstep, don't let folk know how good they are!!! Cheers all.