PDA

View Full Version : Munari having to resort to Fan Power

Longtimefan
04-10-2023, 16:20
I have recently received the following note, in my capacity as the Club Secretary, which I am sure will be of interest to not only Club members, but others that appreciate the Iconic Strato's.

I asked the gentleman if he could send me a copy of the photo, received today, of an incident that may not have been seen before.

"Hi,
I have recently found a photo I took of Sandro Munari and P Sodano's Strato's reaching the brow of a hill during the 1977 Lombard RAC rally on the Radnor forest stage. What was unusual was that it was pushed there by a number of spectators. Apparently, the gear select had failed and he let his fans push it to the top of the hill so it could coast back, because everyone wanted to see it. My boss and I had been to the Halfway stage earlier in the day and arrived at this point in the stage just before the Strato's arrival. I stood in the centre of the track as it rolled towards me.
I am interested to know if anyone else took a similar photo that day, or knew any more about the incident.

I went with my rally mad boss to a couple more stages when near our place of work (installing fire protection) but have't been since then, hence I forgot about the photo.

Altho black and white it is quite detailed. I don't belong to your club but felt you might be interested in my account, due to the continued interest in the Strato's."

tomsredstratos
04-10-2023, 20:57
What a great photo. Never come across a pic of this incident before.

ProtoTipo
05-10-2023, 08:42
Had it been known, that photo would have made it into any rally or Stratos book.
'Needs scanning, properly.

ProtoTipo
05-10-2023, 12:22
A long time member of our local motor club, Dave Wakeley, recently scanned some of his Stratos photos from the 1970s RAC rallies.
Dave's photos were used in the 50 year Stratos book, and he got an acknowledgement in the Italian text on page 2. (front of book shown below)

Any previously unseen period photos, like the one that Robin has posted above, would be highly prized.