PDA

View Full Version : Help.......Carb Needed for 2.0 Twin Cam

marcoos_1
08-11-2023, 23:50
Doing a bit of work on the wee twin cam Strat. Found a fuel leak tonight and it's a faulty carb. Took it off to find it's a Weber 34 DTA......which I think is a carb from a 1600cc????

Does anyone know which carb should be on there for a 2.0 and if so, does anyone have one lurking under a bench in the garage?

I was wondering if a 38 DGAS would work?

Cast your minds back guys.......I know it's been a while.......;)

ProtoTipo
09-11-2023, 07:15
Haynes manual says 34 DATR for a 2.0.

Guy Mayers
09-11-2023, 09:27
I haven't got round to rebuilding the carb on the Beta project so i don't know what I'll need myself. My spare carb isn't spare if you see what I mean! You could try the Lancia Betaboyz site? I'd be surprised if Mark didn't have a couple of carbs in stock, probably used. And yes, it should be a 34 DATR on the Beta 2000.

Guy

jreacock
09-11-2023, 10:11
Is it leaking where the fuel line clamps onto the brass inlet to the carb (or the return line maybe)? If so - it's possible to pull the brass tube out of the carb body, and to re-seal it. If fuel is leaking out of the top of the carb, it's worth checking / changing the needle valve and checking the float levels and operation.
Might just need a refurb kit if it's not been done for a while. Even E5 seems harsh on some carb internals. Can you see where the leak is coming from?

I have a complete engine and ancillaries that I was keeping as a spare for my Beta Spyder - but I might have 2 carbs for it - I'll have a look. Do you use the autochoke function on your car? If not, you could get a DMTR version of the carb instead (A = Auto, M = Manual).

marcoos_1
09-11-2023, 12:50
Thanks for that folks. I guess its the right thing then.

My leak is indeed coming from where the brass inlet pipe goes into the body of the carb. I thought it was a rubber fuel line gone hard, but changed all that. Then fitted a new jubilee clip. Still no joy........so I rekon it is now leaking from the brass inlet to carb joint. I can turn the brass inlet with pliers (which I didnt think I should be able to do?)

@jreacock....does this brass tube just pull out? If so, what do you advise resealing it with? If I cant reseal it then I guess its a replacement carb.

The autochoke on mine is still present, but I dont use it. It always seemed to end up half open and was then fowling up the plugs runnig too rich. I have it locked fully open.

Thanks again for your help folks.

M.

jreacock
09-11-2023, 14:07
I think the hose fittings are typically an interference fit into the carb body, and inserted when the carbs are warmed up. If one has become loose, I believe that it should come out if you can rotate it and pull it without damaging it. Maybe some heat from a hot air gun (no flames obviously) would be the way to go.

If you can get it out, then something like this might do to seal it back in:
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/uk/en/product/thread-sealants/loctite_54000.html

There might be a better product for this kind of job that has passed me by, but I wouldn't recommend araldite.

If you end up with a very loose fit after the extraction process, then it may be possible to tap the inlet / outlet - and then you can change to a fitting that will screw in instead. You'd still need some thread sealant of some description though.

It's worth having a go - rather than getting another carb that will probably come with its own set of issues. I guess you just need the top piece though so it may be low risk. The Beta forum would be a good place to post a wanted ad.

http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php

Cheers,
Justin.

Darkspeed
09-11-2023, 19:23
Sticking it back in with JB Weld will do the trick.

westonTB
09-11-2023, 21:44
I have had the odd wobbly brass bit on my Beta Webers, both 1.6 & 2.0 versions, pretty sure they are interference fits so yes, JB weld will be fine.
Mine still are and are used as 'daily' drivers. Highly recommend BP e5 super unleaded, had my 34 DAT's in bits recently & the internals are perfect.

marcoos_1
13-11-2023, 11:18
Great guys, thanks. I will try and extract the fitting and try bonding it back in as a first option.

Good show at the NEC this weekend......not sure whom I met on the stand buy great to see the club there with 2 lovely examples.