PDA

View Full Version : Glass door windows

catswhiskers
06-02-2012, 20:40
When I bought my unfinished Hawk kit, I was lucky enough to find that it had a 'normal' set of perspex door windows and also a set of the 'group buy' glass windows too.
When I get the car back from paint in a few weeks time, I'm wondering which way to go.
I know that the glass windows will pass the IVA due to the E markings etc.
I'm fairly sure that the perspex windows will fail as I don't have the exemption letter that I think Gerry used to provide.
I realise that the glass will be far more scratch resistant than perspex but I also realise that glass is much more brittle than perspex when trapped or struck with a sharp edge.
Decisions, decisions.
:confused:
Would anyone who has fitted the glass windows care to pass on their own feelings / comments.
Anyone who deliberately avoided the glass window 'group buy' care to offer their thoughts on the subject.
Positive or negative? I have no intention of starting a heated debate here on the 'for vs. against'
All I need is the benefit of your experience to help me make my own decision.
Thanks in anticipation.

Mick
www.paramountrefinishing.co.uk

Monte76
06-02-2012, 21:29
I've always wanted glass ever since day one of my build back in 88 and was glad when Roberto offered the run recently. Even though I'd convinced myself Perspex seemed more appropriate for a GrpIV car the scratches and marks over the years had taken their toll.

Im really pleased with the glass as it matches the windscreen perfectly and the extra weight gives the door a more quality feel, plus the extra weight actually makes it easier to open the windows now as they fall under their own weight rather than having to be pushed down - on mine anyway.

Given the choice it was an easy decision for me.

I still kept my vinyl rain shield which runs along the bottom edge of the glass or perspex, it stops rain running down the outside face straight into the door pockets via the slot for the locking knob. Learnt this the hard way coming back to the car after a show which was pouring down to be greeted by flooded door pockets!

Vince.

StruanR
06-02-2012, 22:02
The exemption for E-marking has been extended to 2013 I believe. Polycarbonate 'side screens' are fine.

ProtoTipo
07-02-2012, 09:31
All I can say Mick is hang onto the glass door window option for as long as possible.
Once sold they're gone for good.

catswhiskers
07-02-2012, 10:21
Vince,
Thanks for the positive feedback. I would really like to fit the glass windows for obvious reasons but I've heard stories of them shattering when the doors are closed. Just trying to judge the general feeling of whether this was a 'one off' or not.

Mick

Monte76
07-02-2012, 10:45
I was concerned about the broken side glass myself and noticed my glass was just touching one of the rivets holding my aluminium rain gutter in place, I drilled all the rivets out and replaced with countersunk rivets and also adjusted the end stop for the glass lifter so that I had an even gap between it and the door frame.

I can't imagine it'll ever be a concern now as the glass is only in contact with the rubber door seal, now that we're aware of the issue it's easy enough to sort in the early stages of installation, I imagine most of us had to retro fit our glass.

Vince.

Jeff
07-02-2012, 11:45
It was a proud rivet which caused Ians glass side widow to shatter. It is a concern, but one which is probably fairly simple to address.

catswhiskers
07-02-2012, 11:53
It sounds like the issue is fairly easily avoided. Thanks for the input guys.

Mick

Cadami
07-02-2012, 20:08
Interesting.... I took a chip out of the edge of my glass window due to a proud head too. Didn't shatter though :-)

lancia chris
07-02-2012, 22:16
Mick, go glass 'cos they are a much better fit. Noise levels are reduced, they dont wave about at speed and dont leak.

What more do you need....

Just make sure you fit them carefully and all is well. I must say mine were pretty much a straight swap for the old
plastic.1720

catswhiskers
09-02-2012, 09:49
Hi Chris,
Yes I'm convinced now. Especially now I can see how good they look in your car too.

Mick